shape
carat
color
clarity

Need law advice about an unethical construction company

Jemi

Rough_Rock
Usually I wouldn’t post personal stuff like this, but my family is at their wits end. My daughter’s house burned over a year and a half ago and somehow a restoration company found out and sent my daughter a contract. (She was out of the country).
My daughter thought the insurance company hired them and the insurance company thought my daughter hired them.
Not only have they done terrible work, but the contract said they would be done in 140 days and it’s been over 400 days.
So my daughter had to bring her newborn home from the hospital to a hotel room and is suffering mentally about not being able to be back in her house. There’s no end in sight.
I won’t go into the details of how many ways we’ve tried to get this resolved, but nothing has worked so far. My daughter wants to sue them, but I’m afraid she will end up losing a lot of money and/or end up in litigation for a long time. The stress is already been too much. Any lawyers here who could suggest a plan of action? It would be most appreciated

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry you and your DD are going through this. Greg said this is probably the standard MO for this company unfortunately. He said you could hire an attorney just to write a threatening legal letter stating breach of contract but that they probably get those often. And unless they’re sued it might be difficult to get what you want. I’m so sorry. :(

Jemi

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Missy.
We hired a lawyer to try to get a handle on things (without spending a fortune) and it didn’t help.
No matter what we do, nothing changes. They had so many good reviews on Google! Except for one family who said it took two years for them to get back in their house, and when they withheld money… The company sued them!
Greg is right, the company must be used to deflecting. Please thank Greg. His thoughts have greatly helped me with not trying to think of 100 ways to get a wedge into the situation. I think the best thing I can do is get my daughter back to France where she is further away from the situation. Because eventually the house will be finished.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry Jemi. Greg did offer one other suggestion just now. How about constant phone calls cajoling etc. Make a pest of yourself so they want to finish ASAP.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @Jemi , this would be awful under any circumstances, but to have it drag on and on makes it even more horrific!

Would you kindly clarify the terms of the contract? More particularly, who is paying for the supplies and labor -- is the renovation company billing the insurance company and being paid directly by the insurance company, or is your daughter paying out of her own pocket & being reimbursed by the insurance company? Are the billing invoices sent on a set schedule (e.g., every 30 or 60 days)?

By any chance, did your daughter confirm that the company is licensed & has applied for, and received, the necessary permits for all the work that's needed? Given how utterly indifferent this outfit has been, I'm kinda concerned that they're cutting corners & whatever work they're doing won't be "up to code."

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results