shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Information, Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Awol88

Rough_Rock
I have been looking for an Engagement ring for about a month now... I don't know too much about diamonds... I have a brochure for "Ideal Cut" diamonds, and the Four C's... Here is my situation... I've been looking at the Zales Diamond... /2 CT. T.W. DIAMOND OCTILLION SOLITAIRE RING, it runs at $2,999.00... I really like the band because the diamond doesn't appear to sit up so high like so many other Solitaires... but I want a diamond that is in the DEF range for color and at least a VS2 for perfection grades... The ring at the Zales store I have been looking at is a G/VS2 with a 68% table... and that is all I know... I have them looking for a ring that falls within the DEF like I said but so far they haven't come up with any thing and to me it appears as though they aren't looking... What are your opinions on the Zales cut diamond? Recently though I checked with some local jewlers here in town and found out about Ideal Cut diamonds, now I know that the Zales isn't ideal cut and the local jewlers say not to buy a ring that is pre-mounted... At one jewler in town there is a band just like the Zales band which I like and I could buy a round half carat to have set in it... that stone is .45 CT Near Ideal, Color Grade F, and Clarity Grade VS2... I beleive it is near ideal because it is only .45 CT, and that stone I can get for $2160.00 and the band for $600.00... I am trying to stay right around $3,000.00... another thing about that band is that on one side of the band the mounting is kinda off centered from the other side and it bugs me, I don't know if they can fix that or get another one... I need some input please... Am I too picky when it comes to this? I'm sorry for rambling it's just hard for me to explain all of this... any info will be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Zyperiris

Rough_Rock
Hi again..well after I looked at some of these sites online..I became impressed with what I saw/ Especially the Old gold guy.What a fantastic site he has..And the recommendations he has gotten are fantastic. I quietly defer to the experts here and go back to my corner..Now I am wondering about how good a deal MY diamond was..LOL

stansam

Rough_Rock
I disagree with the comments about Zale's and other mall stores. The most important aspect of buying a diamond is trust. You have to feel comfortable with whom you are dealing. Zale's and other multi-unit stores have the highest standards of integrity. Zale's has been in business for over 75 years and there is a reason that they are biggest in the world. But you will do better if you find a local jeweler that you trust. And stay away from internet diamond merchants that do not have bricks-and-mortar locations. A diamond is not an investment for you the customer. There is no way in the world that you will make a profit, especially in the short term. A diamond is a symbol of love and commitment. You buy because it is beautiful and it brings happiness to your life.------------------

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You've asked a lot of questions. I will try to help. I'm not a diamond expert, but I've been through a lot with my recent purchase. I would not buy a Zale's octillion special cut diamond. They are overpriced and the added facets can obscure flaws in clarity. I would not buy anything from Zales or any other large "mall" chainstore. They are overpriced and usually do not carry top quality stuff. I would check out http://www.goodoldgold.com and http://www.whiteflash.com or other reliable Internet vendors. They have better diamonds at more reasonable prices and decent return policies. I would shop separately for settings. For another read on Super-Ideals try http://www.eightstar.com That is what I bought, available only through their authorized retailers.There are often very fine diamonds available at privately owned jewelery stores, but they are often overpriced. It takes a while to gain an education. The first website I listed has a wealth of material on it that is worth reading. Invest a little time and you will be much happier confident that you got the right diamond....The Rodentman

Looking

Rough_Rock
Wasn't there some legal actions taken against Zales a few years ago after it was found they were misrepresenting diamonds? They might be one of the largest companies but that does not mean they can be trusted. They make profits by grossly inflating prices on less than "ideal" quality jewelry for the most part. They make a lot of money through the credit services they provide to customers. I would say stay away from Zales and mall chain stores. Most of the internet vendors that post here have great reputations and have ample return policies that allow you to get an independent appraisal before you commit your money to the purchase.

webz

Rough_Rock
A B&M jeweler that can be trusted...hmmmm that's a pretty tall order don't you think.If only retail consumers could hear half of what retail jewelers say behind closed doors....

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Awol88 check out diamondbrokersofflorida.com in addition to the sites rodentman gave you.

Zyperiris

Rough_Rock
Hi, I do not know alot about diamonds..but I think I know more than most people. I would not buy a diamond at Zales either. These mall type jewelery stores overcharge and the quality of the diamond is less. The good diamonds always hold their value. I also would go with buying a better stone, even if you have to go smaller. I have a VVS2 F marquise..and we were careful about the cut..it is really stout and football shaped..not thin like some marquise. This diamond is 62 points and it glitters from far away...I personally have a problem with getting a larger cut..but then having to cut down the quality..it seems wrong to me and backward. Some wholesale diamond places have a upgrade feature..so later on you can get a bigger stone. I think you should find a stone..and look for the setting after. I have looked at online stores..and I guess if you get a money back guarantee and all the certification you should be okay. But when I bought my stone it was scary for me to think of doing it online..and not ROMANTIC!! LOL..I got mine at a store called International Jewelers in Seattle, Wa. I don't know where you are but I would try someplace like that. Plus, I think you really need to see the stone first...Look for stors that feature the stone first and then the setting.. Hope this helps..It's a big decision. Do not got to Zales...plus you could go to a store and have the band designed as well

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results