shape
carat
color
clarity

need honest opinions on my wedding dress.. is it cute or too gaudy/ theatrical?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amileegirl

Shiny_Rock
I went to look at the picture and the dress that they sent you isn''t anywhere near the same! What they sent you was a cheap costume imitation. What were they thinking?

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Here's another suggestion. I really like this one. Its light and airy but still has a fairytale feel. Its also within your budget.

http://www.bridalonlinestore.com/store/7011.asp

I found it while just browsing around for dresses, so I can't vouch for the site.

P.S. Its GORGEOUS in the champagne color (the pic on the right). That would look great in the golden chruch.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good grief, it doesn''t loook ANYTHING like the picture. Even if you were late sending it back, they should TAKE it back. That''s ridiculous!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
PLEASE PLEASE make a headlining post about Julius Bridal. That dress looks nothing like the one they were supposed to send you. Other brides need to know that the quality they show on the website isn''t what you get IRL...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's doesn't look like the pictures exactly. But to be honest with you the dress in the pictures isn't going to be much better. It looks like they used very creative lighting, photography, starch, and ironing to make what is a costumey and cheaply constructed dress look better. But the pictures DO NOT show a drastically different gown in my opinion.

David's is always having sales and promotions. I'd do one of these. You can always have a skilled seamstress line the sleeves a little for you if they are too sheer

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2293&prodgroup=10

Or these dress with the long sleeve option below:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2994&prodgroup=10

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2630&prodgroup=10

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2639&prodgroup=10

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I am posting this without having read any of the other posts, or any of your own post (I know that sounds somewhat unhelpful, but bear with me a moment!)

I didn't read them because I wanted to give you my first reaction. I think that you look beautiful in that dress! I'm biased though - It's actually quite similar to the dress I wore for my own wedding, only my sleeves came down to the ground! I wanted the medieval look, since we got married in a medieval castle.

You look beautiful in it, and happy!

I'm going to read what everyone else thought now!

Jen

Tinuviel

Rough_Rock
Ooh, Mrs. Mitchell, I''d love to see a pic of your wedding dress if you wouldn''t mind posting it at your convenience = ) It sounds so pretty!

I really liked so many of those wedding gown links you all sent me! Thank you so much! My issue is, I don''t want to wear a strapless dress or a even strapless bra (!) b/c I''m afraid that w/o the straps, the bra/ dress will keep sliding down when I reach up to hug my to-be husband (he''s 9 inches taller than I) .. I''m so flat I have no boobs to hold up a strapless anything .. hee hee.. a lot of those dress pics are really pretty but look like they require a strapless bra at least, b/c they are see-through at the spot where the straps would show.. also I just can''t wear anything that is low cut (like deep V cut etc) for the same reason mentioned above.. or what if I wore those clear plastic straps? would ppl really notice them beneath a sheer jacket?

Actually, before I ordered the dress I''m now returning, I was going for a mermaid gown.. I''ve tried one on and I love that cut on me!! But then I picked this one b/c it was so cheap and I wanted to save money! But now that I''m returning it I think I''m going to look again for mermaid cuts.. I think for those cuts, though, I''d really have to try on the dress, b/c it has to narrow and then taper out at the right spot on the leg.. so I guess it would be a bad idea to try to order one online? hmmmm.. what do you think?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t order a mermaid style dress online. It has to fit just right through the hips and thighs and, as you said, the cut and placement of the flared part can make a huge difference. Almost any other cut -- A-line, ballroom, empire -- is more forgiving and might be safe as an on-line purchase.

Have you tried on any longline bras? If your main concern is whether a strapless (or "lightly strapped") bodice would stay up, a longline bra might give you more options.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I looked at some of the dresses people linked to with the sheer, lacy jacket and it does look like there are very thin straps on them so you wouldn''t have to worry about them falling down.

I am also very flat chested, but I found a great strapless bra at Target of all places! It''s a Gillian O''Malley (I think that''s the brand-definitely Gillian something!) brand bra with lace in between the cups and on the side parts. The cups are smooth and the bra has rubber stuff lining the edges of the inside of the bra. If you can''t find that exact one, though, I would just look for one with rubber stuff lining the inside edges of the bra. Trust me-it won''t go anywhere!

I definitely wouldn''t limit yourself to wedding dress styles that you can wear a regular bra with-it seems like those would be few and far between! You should definitely be able to find a bra that will work for you. And you could always just not wear a bra if you don''t need the support-just get those sticky bra things that stick on your boobs.

And whatever you do, PLEASE don''t wear a bra with clear straps that show! Yikes! They are so obviously there when people wear them! I''m always like-why?!!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Tinuviel, I''m really sorry - I don''t have any pics! We only have an album, no digital pics. I haven''t even got a scanner. I''ll try to describe it - almost an empire line gown, the bodice was sheer ivory silk, embroidered with a tiny gold clematis design, overlaid on ivory silk and the sleeves were the same fabric as the bodice. The skirt was plain ivory silk with the gold fabric worked into the short train. It was copied from a design in a medieval tapestry I saw in France.

Wish I could oblige with photos. If it still fits me, I''ll put it on again and get some digital pics. If none appear, please just assume that I''m not so willowy as one I was LOL!

Jen

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad you are going to return that dress...you have such a darling figure that it is a waste to swallow you up in such a voluminous, and costume-like shape.

I think you should take a look at what the other gals here have posted...there are some beautiful, as well as inexpensive, choices they have posted. Can you go to try on some gowns to see what actually looks good and fits your style before ordering online again? Just a thought...

Tinuviel

Rough_Rock
Mrs. Mitchell-- your dress sounds gorgeous! Don''t worry about posting pics, since you don''t already have digital ones..

Everyone--thanks for all your comments and suggestions! I''m going to look into some of those bra options.. I never even thought of a longline bra (actually I didn''t know what it was and had to google it!)

Yeah, I don''t think I''m going to order any dresses online anymore, after this experience.. I think I''m going to go rent a dress, but only after having tried it on first!! ... hopefully there won''t be any more unpleasant surprises.. = )

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2007 3:19:13 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Tinuviel, I''m really sorry - I don''t have any pics! We only have an album, no digital pics. I haven''t even got a scanner. I''ll try to describe it - almost an empire line gown, the bodice was sheer ivory silk, embroidered with a tiny gold clematis design, overlaid on ivory silk and the sleeves were the same fabric as the bodice. The skirt was plain ivory silk with the gold fabric worked into the short train. It was copied from a design in a medieval tapestry I saw in France.

Wish I could oblige with photos. If it still fits me, I''ll put it on again and get some digital pics. If none appear, please just assume that I''m not so willowy as one I was LOL!

Jen

Mrs Mitchell, your dress wasn''t taken from the Lady and the Unicorn tapestries in the Cluny Museum was it by any chance?

If so - that is the same inspiration as I have for mine.

I''d love to hear more details!

cara

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad you decided to return that dress! Even if you want the renaissance style, there are much better options out there!

It sounds like you don''t need a modest dress for modesty reasons - you are just concerned about the practicality of wearing the dress/bra? If so, there are tons of small-busted women that wear strapless dresses and strapless bras without a problem!

With strapless dresses, fit is key. Even with a small bust, if the dress is altered to fit your torso, it will stay up! This is from someone who thought I would never be able to wear strapless because I am much bigger on my bottom half than my top - turns out I just can''t wear strapless dresses off the rack because of course, to fit my hips and waist, the bust and torso is too big. If you get it altered properly, it will stay up.

Second, if you want straps on the dress for extra security, that is not a big problem. Many strapless wedding dresses either can be order with optional thin straps or you can get custom straps added later by a seamstress.

Seamstresses can also add very small snaps to attach the bra and the dress together. Thus, if you wear straps with your dress, the bra will stay in place, or if you wear a longline bra with a strapless dress, the dress will stay in place as well. Though with the specialized rubber on most strapless bras, I don''t have a problem with them slipping down.

Not to dissuade you from a mermaid dress, because I think you would look fabulous in a nice one that fits you well, but have you considered the jcrew dresses? They have some less expensive ones (as well as some pricy ones) but they seem suited to your body type and made of nice fabric. Plus you can order them in your size and return them if you don''t like it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results