shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tnd

Rough_Rock
I purchased a diamond today, sight unseen. My sister bought it for me and said that it is a very brilliant stone and no visible flaws. I should say from the start that we are not experts by any stretch.

It is not certified. It is a round, H-I color, SI2 clarity, 1.22cts. I have been doing alot of research myself, and I was explaining some things to my sister and she said that it has a large table but the stone doesn't look thin or disproportionate in its shape. She did say that the stone looks large for the size. The price was $4000.

I am using this diamond to replace the diamond in my original bridal set. I am able to return it if it isn't what I want. I was going to have it appraised, should I also have a cert. made for it? If the stone has a large table is that really terrible or does it depend on how the stone looks? And, finally is that over priced?

Since funds are not unlimited, I want a good value and a nice stone.

Any comments welcome. Thanks
Oh, and by the way lookind for an indep. appraiser in the Baltimore/Washington DC area.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
I was going to have it appraised, should I also have a cert. made for
it?
-----------

As the stone is a mid-range quality a cert is not as essential. It could be that the appraisal would be enough for your purposes. It is critical though that the stone be appraised as an SI2 rather than an I1.

I would guess the stone is probably a class 3 cut with that large table. Class 4 is a possibility, but I don't think as likely. As an H/SI2, the price would be good to very good. As an I/IS2, the price would be good. You're not getting "hosed" unless the stone turns out to be an I1. Then it's a different story.

-----------
If the stone has a large table is that really terrible or does it
depend on how the stone looks?
-----------

I've seen many beautiful large tabled diamonds. The thing that is more key than the table size is the relationship between the crown and pavilion angles. If you can get that information, we can tell you better about the light return performance of the stone. A Sarin Report, Megascope Report, or savvy gemologist can give you that info.

-----------
Since funds are not unlimited, I want a good value and a nice stone.
-----------

The stone you have could very well be a "nice" stone, and quite pretty. The color is good, the clarity is "average", and the cut is probably "average". If you're looking for better than this, you might consider shopping around. I can't think of a better place than this forum. You can run a search on the PriceScope search engine to get an idea what's available. Read the tutorial as well. It has great info.

tnd

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much that was very helpful. My sister is coming into town next week, so that gives me some time to locate someone who can give me an honest opinion.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely get the stone independently appraised, but I also agree you don't necessarily need a cert. Unless you plan to sell the stone or just want to do it for fun, the cert is not really necessary if you have a reputable independent appraiser do a report on it.

I have a large table, shallow depth stone. My stone works because its got a shallow depth (table % is much bigger than the depth % (e.g. 61% table, 57% depth), and I have seen some not-so-attractive larger tabled, large depth stones (table is smaller than depth % but still large (e.g. 62% table and 64% depth)), so you definitely want to get this stone checked out. Hopefully it's a good one!

The price is very good, so if it checks out as an I SI2, you are in very good shape!! See if you like the way the stone looks and make sure you are not losing too much ctw in the depth if its deep. You want the stone to look bigger rather than smaller, sounds like your sister already noticed it looks bigger so that it is a good sign. My stone looks .12ctw bigger than it really is. A nice perk!

Let us know the specs and what the appraiser says as I am always curious to find other large tabled stones out there that perform well!!

Congrats and good luck.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
A 64-67% table can look VERY nice. I live in Europe and here we have lots of them... If the other #'s are ok, then this stone is likely to be a very nice one!!! Usually diamonds with larger tables have very good white light... The price is really great...

Manks

Rough_Rock
Giangi

I get the impression that larger tables are a "European thing" whilst smaller tables (with more fire) are a "US thing". Would you agree, or am I talking rubbish?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results