shape
carat
color
clarity

Need HELP

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,
I need major opinions and suggestions PLEASE....

When we got married 13 years ago, we got my engagement ring from a chain jewelry store in CANADA. It wasnt until I saw all the black specks in my diamonds that I started learning about diamonds.

Two years ago when my husband came back from deployment he said I could purchase my "dream" ring.. This was a 1 carat diamond, with NO yellow colour, and no visible inclusions..........
I had always wanted a Blue Nile ring, so this is where I purchased from.
I wanted to keep the cost around $3000 so I ended up purchasing a triple excellent, G 0.76 SI1 (eye clean) diamond. I searched what the perfect proportions were, and made sure to only consider diamonds within these ranges.

My mom lived with us over the last 5 years and I told her I would save up for a 1 carat some day. She said when she passes away, I can use some of her money to do this....... she has recently passed away.......

My problems are, now I am thinking 1 carat really isn't much of a jump in size compared to my 0.76 .... .... but a 1.5 carat ring, is more then I wanted to spend. I really dont know how much I want to spend, but blowing $13,000 on a diamond I think will bother me.

What are your opinions on colour and clarity combos? Fluorescence or no fluorescence? Just upgrade to the 1 carat, stick with G colour, but upgrade clarity? Find higher then 1 carat with lower colour, and SI1 eye clean, or maybe not even bother upgrading at all?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Krista :wavey:

In order to use Blue Nile's Upgrade Policy, the new diamond has to be at least twice the cost of the original BN diamond:

Would you kindly share with us the purchase price of your current 0.76 BN diamond -- if you would be fine with spending at least 2x that on a new diamond? That at least would give us some idea of where to start to help you explore-define your options.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a visual aid for you, @Krista Williams , depicting your current BN diamond vs. a 1.4 ct diamond, each set on a band width of 2mm on ring size 6 fingers:
for Krista .76 ct vs 1.4 ct.png

The reason I selected a 1.4 ct diamond is because @mrs-b , an established and diamond-savvy PSer, is offering this I color, 1.4 ct, SI1 diamond for $6,000:

More pics, of the stone in a setting that's no longer available, here:

If you are not adverse to considering a pre-loved diamond, please be assured that you need have no qualms about purchasing this stone from mrs-b's own jewel box :))

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
My current 0.76 BN diamond was $3221 CDN. Here is the item number LD09939958

Thank you for the info on the 1.4ct preloved diamond. I will look into but I am not sure what I am doing yet. Today was my first day looking at BN with these ideas. Closest to 1.5ct is my goal, but not sure how much I actually want to spend....

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I’m so sorry about you mom, it must mean a lot that she wanted to help you get something special. I hope you’re doing alright. If it was me, I’d stick to BN due to the upgrade policy and $3200 toward the new diamond. I also had a hard time spending a lot on a diamond, so I would think about including SI2s in your search. It requires a bit more work, but you can find beautiful eye clean SI2s. Especially with inclusions that can be hidden under prongs.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello,
My current 0.76 BN diamond was $3221 CDN. Here is the item number LD09939958

Thank you for the info on the 1.4ct preloved diamond. I will look into but I am not sure what I am doing yet. Today was my first day looking at BN with these ideas. Closest to 1.5ct is my goal, but not sure how much I actually want to spend....
Yikes, I didn't fully appreciate just how unfavorable the current exchange rate is for you until I used an online currency converter: $3221 in Canadian dollars is -- at this weekend's exchange rate -- $2434 US dollars 8)

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Yikes, I didn't fully appreciate just how unfavorable the current exchange rate is for you until I used an online currency converter: $3221 in Canadian dollars is -- at this weekend's exchange rate -- $2434 US dollars 8)

It is crazy isnt it?
In December we went to Florida and I purchased a Disney Exclusive Pandora bracelet and some charms... Pandora prices were the exact same as they are in Canada, which actually converts to WAY more.... nice shocker on the VISA after it was converted to CDN funds.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will be hard pressed to do better than MrsB pre loved diamond.
and keep in mind that there is a considerable price hike at the 1.50 carat, try looking at 1.45 ish.
colour can be subjective, a well cut diamond will always look better than a so so diamond. Clarity can be confusing, there are certainly S12 diamonds that you will need an eagle eye to spot anything with the unaided eye. clarity issues like clouds, feathers, crystal are white or clear inclusions, quite different to a black carbon fleck. There is not much chance missing carbon flecks.
dont rush, look around see what appeals to you.

Krista Williams

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, I am going to post a new thread asking for opinions on two diamonds. I thought I might get more responses if I made a new thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results