shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with my ring please: James Allen

PsychoCactus

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

First time here, looking for help with my ring choice.

I'm looking at Cusion cuts at James Allen. Interested in 1 carat, and trying to find the best value under $10k (Canadian!).
Would like a thin setting with some small diamonds, platinum.

Interested in this diamond: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-d-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-1136165
Interested in this setting: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...h-cut-pave-diamond-engagement-ring--item-1301

Seems like a good diamond within my budget....thoughts?
Looking for some community confirmation about what I have here.

Thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

I don't think this is the one for you.

The cushion doesn't appear to be well cut, and that setting isn't the most well made. There are better ones at James Allen.

Why did you decide to have a high color and clarity? Cultural value? You just want the best diamond?

PsychoCactus

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help Niel.

I liked the colourless, but am not apposed to a hint of colour if you think I can do better.
The clarity was high on this so I went with it...I was thinking VVS2 or better?

I'm looking for the best diamond in my budget for sure. Are there some recommendations you could make?

The band had high reviews and fits the profile of what my girlfriend wants. Thin band, some diamonds would be nice. Not all the way around, just about half way down.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it has good reviews, I just don't think the pave (the diamond bits) are set well enough. Too much metal not enough diamonds!

I get what you mean, sometimes you have to take what clarity comes with fancy shapes, but let's see if we can't find something near colorless so it's still white, but your not paying the premium ::)

Here's the thing I think people don't really get about clarity. It's not measured with the naked eye. So, yes vvs is very clear to magnificent, but to your eye- how you're viewing it,so is a vs stone, and often even si1 stones.

PsychoCactus

Rough_Rock
Very insightful. I will bring forward some other options for the band.

Regarding the clarity my research said the same....but when selecting I just mentally gravitated to wanting the 'best' on all fronts. I imagine there is a better mix of characters for me to select and get better value! Appreciate the help and time looking for some options as well :angel:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being a vvs clarity the inclusions won't show, you should be just fine with hat, and an F is still considered colorless.

Now I'm not the best with dollar conversions lol. Exactly how much in USD can you spend on the setting?

PsychoCactus

Rough_Rock
With that diamond...I have about $1,200-1,500 USD to spend :)

Re: the diamond cut. I know with cushion it is different than round or princess. What about the cut on the...very good? I know that cut is the most important thing!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PsychoCactus|1465083944|4040277 said:
With that diamond...I have about $1,200-1,500 USD to spend :)

Re: the diamond cut. I know with cushion it is different than round or princess. What about the cut on the...very good? I know that cut is the most important thing!
Your first stone and setting combo comes to 7k, but you want to stay closer to 6.5k?

Compared to the first one, it has brightness, contrast,and crisp faceting pattern that I find attractive, it doesn't have a fish eye at the edges of the table

PsychoCactus

Rough_Rock
$10k CAD is about $7.7k USD right now. So under $7.7 would be good to me...

Love the diamond you picked, seriously!!! Thank you for clarifying what attracted you and why it is better then the one I brought forward.

PsychoCactus

Rough_Rock
I do like this. What did you like about it?

Better quality?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PsychoCactus|1465086112|4040289 said:
I do like this. What did you like about it?

Better quality?

Which?

Well I like that the way the diamonds are set that you see mostly diamond, not metal.

The first one I think is well proportioned, lots of sparkle from the large pave in the band, but stil la nice size compared to the cushion

The second one I shared, I like the way the head is more than the basic peg head

Both you'll have to also hem to do for a cushion, they'll probably tell you it'll cost 150 or so to do, but still cheaper than your original combo

PsychoCactus

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I was asking about the one you suggested.

I keep looking at it...it does look pretty nice. Not as thin a band...but I don't dislike it. It has a bit more strength to it and you are right, the diamonds have more prominence.

I think I'm going to do it. Your suggestions pretty much nailed what I wanted, and it's $8,400 CAD before tax and such. Under budget!!!

Thank you so much for your help...anything else I should know? Should I take this to another place to have it checked out with my GIA certificate once I get it?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you choose the first of the two links I shared? you spoke with them and they can do it for that stone?

Well first things first, you'll have to show pictures when it gets here because I want to see pics!

Second, you could take a loupe to it to make sure the gia number on the stone matches the number on the cert,but it never hurts to get an appraisal. Otherwise, you can get it insured for the value you paid as well with a receipt

PsychoCactus

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I was didn't see that you had shared 2. I was interested in the 2nd one.

I'm going through the eStore...when I select the diamond, neither of those bands work :(
Guessing they won't work at all so they are hidden.

Darn. Looking at the other options now that could work....boo, I really liked the 2nd one you shared!

And for sure I will share pics!!! You are an amazing help. This community should be proud that you are involved!!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PsychoCactus|1465088573|4040303 said:
Sorry, I was didn't see that you had shared 2. I was interested in the 2nd one.

I'm going through the eStore...when I select the diamond, neither of those bands work :(
Guessing they won't work at all so they are hidden.

Darn. Looking at the other options now that could work....boo, I really liked the 2nd one you shared!

And for sure I will share pics!!! You are an amazing help. This community should be proud that you are involved!!!!

Click on the start chat feature. You can still do it through the online store a representative will have to help you. Like I said it's not a standard ring for a cushion, but they could probably modify it for a fee.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PsychoCactus|1465091015|4040313 said:
OK, I will ask them!
Sweet, they may say they'll need to check with someone and email you back. If they do, ask them to reserve your diamond for you while you're waiting to hear back

PsychoCactus

Rough_Rock
Got it to work in the tool! :)

ring_1.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still strongly suggest speaking with a rep before so you make sure everything is good to go.

That'll be a nice size for that small of a finger!

PsychoCactus

Rough_Rock
They say it shouldn't be an issue! :)

Thank you SO, SO, SO much for your help. You have been amazing. I will come back and share pics once it arrives. THANK YOU!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PsychoCactus|1465093315|4040325 said:
They say it shouldn't be an issue! :)

Thank you SO, SO, SO much for your help. You have been amazing. I will come back and share pics once it arrives. THANK YOU!!!

Awesome! Well that was easy peasy for you!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Neil,

I think you are wonderful too.

Annette

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1465153810|4040542 said:
Hi Neil,

I think you are wonderful too.

Annette

Awe shucks :oops:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may or may not have found your ring on their website. Have you gotten it? Do you like it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results