shape
carat
color
clarity

need help with a round cut 1.7-2c purchase

d5c5b

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone-
first time posting after reading alot of good information on here.
Quick summary:
i am looking to purchase an engagement ring for my special lady in the near future and have narrowed it down to the following:
15k total budget
(12.5 diamond/ 2.5 band)
solitaire setting
1.7-2 carat round cut diamond (not sure on different round cuts: brilliant/ european/ mine)
ideally H color and above
VS2 and greater clarity

i have met with a couple local wholesalers who have showed me a few stones. The only one im set on locally is a H color, VS2 clarity 1.73 8 hearts and 8 arrows round cut stone. the report says the polish and symmetry are both excellent. its at the top of my stone budget.

i found on online at GOG that id like your opinions on as well.
option 1.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.84-Round-VG-GIA-H-VS1-diamond-stock-14477-cert-5171700431

im reaching out to Love affair diamonds on a band design as well.

many thanks in advance
-David

diamond_newbie15

Rough_Rock
Based on the stone you linked to, I would stop meeting with sellers or thinking about purchasing anything for at least a couple of weeks. Spend some time on this board and learn about what makes for a good stone. The stone you like is cheap for a reason- it's way too deep and the idealscope and asset images are a mess. It will not return light well not and the facet pattern is chaotic. It includes an "extremely thin" girdle and a 42.2 pavilion angle! All of these should be major red flags!

Btw, why do you think the seller you met with is a wholeseller? Just because the seller doesn't operate out of a storefront doesn't make him a wholeseller.

d5c5b

Rough_Rock
diamond_newbie15|1469477042|4059180 said:
Based on the stone you linked to, I would stop meeting with sellers or thinking about purchasing anything for at least a couple of weeks. Spend some time on this board and learn about what makes for a good stone. The stone you like is cheap for a reason- it's way too deep and the idealscope and asset images are a mess. It will not return light well not and the facet pattern is chaotic. It includes an "extremely thin" girdle and a 42.2 pavilion angle! All of these should be major red flags!

Btw, why do you think the seller you met with is a wholeseller? Just because the seller doesn't operate out of a storefront doesn't make him a wholeseller.

thanks for the response. i have no idea what any of that means so clearly i need to do A LOT of learning. to your last comment, wholeseller is probably the wrong terminology. I met with two dealers. one at their home and another with a private office in a high rise in the downtown where i live

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
yeah, that GOG stone is pretty ugly. lol! The resources tab is a good place to start and under the tools tab is the link to the HCA tool. Not a selection tool but it will weed out stones with uncomplimentary angles. you want a number under 2.

i think your budget is more conducive to a 1.5ct stone. You could prob find a larger stone within budget but more than likely not a stone that is going to be a great performer. And really, who wants a big stone that doesn't sparkle? So, i'd either raise your budget for the stone and set in an inexpensive solitaire or lower your expectations on size. There are some members here that are exceptional at choosing stones and really getting more bang for your buck

diamond_newbie15

Rough_Rock
d5c5b|1469562877|4059563 said:

Stop. Looking. At. Diamonds. The stone above is halfway to being out of round. It's another dud in my opinion. Hearts and arrows my ass.

You're a mark for these dealers. They see you, your ignorance and anxiousness to pull the trigger and salivate at the prospect of unloading a lemon.

Do some reading and learn something first. What's the rush?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
d5,
You have found your way to a forum where the participants tend to put very high value on the cut quality and light performance of the diamond. Hence the specific comments you have already received related to ASET images, excessive depth, patterning and so on. While they may sound like a lot of complicating details, they matter a lot to the diamond's beauty and lasting value.

The good news is that the basics of round diamonds are not that difficult to learn, and there are plenty of people here who will guide you and keep you from feeling overwhelmed. And ultimately they will help you find a diamond that is right for your requirements and budget.

Good luck in your search!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
d5c5b|1469562877|4059563 said:

This is the problem with an EGL Cert. For one, no way that stone is a G. its very tinted from the side, probably more of an I or even a J colored stone. You really want a GIA Cert just so you're sure you know what you're getting. I took a sec and entered it on the HCA scale and it got a 3.2. :doh:

did you read any of the info in the resources tab? you seem to be looking for a massive deal but also want the stone be huge and super sparkly and WHITE. There is some variance in pricing but you're not going to find a great performing stone thousands of dollars cheaper than the majority. Focus instead on what you're willing to compromise on and then look at what you can afford in your price range. You can eek out some size by dropping to an H/I color, SI1 clarity and maybe looking for a stone with fluorescence. But if you want a stone with fantastic light return, don't compromise on the cut. The details do matter! Use the resources and tools at your fingers. Or you can request help from the more experienced members here, they are great at picking out exceptional stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ecf8503|1469565896|4059584 said:

This is true. It is far easier for us to show what good stones look like than for him to continue posting stones that are not well cut. Here's another:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3619320.htm

D5, here is what you need to know in order to find a good diamond. Although, we can easily post great stones for you, if you'd like.

First, look at nothing but GIA graded stones, and only GIA excellent cut. There is a smaller lab called AGS that has ideal cut stones, and those are usually carried only by jewelers who specialize in top cut stones. You won't likely run across them where you are shopping, but many vendors we know of here carry them.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

d5c5b

Rough_Rock
hey, awesome. thanks for the links. Im more than happy to have you guys suggest a diamond versus my (obviously poor) suggestions. The range info has been very helpful. thank you for that... and its clear i should stick with GIA reports. ill do so. It seems 1.5carat diamonds is where im coming in at my price range. Was hoping to be at 1.7 but would prefer quality over quantity for my lady. thanks again for the help. Ill keep studying!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like your sense of humor! It's important during the sometimes stressful process of shopping for a diamond. As a trade member I cannot comment specifically on another vendor's offering, but I think I can get away with saying that it is probably not 'a pile of garbage' :twirl:

It would be wise to educate yourself on the issues involved in fluorescence to make sure it is right for you. Overview here:
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not a pile of garbage by any means, but it certainly doesn't fall in the numbers I provided above. It's not a diamond I would consider, but it's an okay diamond. Those light return images are computer generated and not actual images taken looking through the scope.

d5c5b

Rough_Rock
can i get some feedback on this stone? my local dealer sent me this and its within my price range

round brilliant
1.8 SI1 J
55% table
62.8% depth
34.5 crown
40.8 pav
medium to slightly thick girdle
no culet

img_0453.png

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
d5c5b said:
can i get some feedback on this stone? my local dealer sent me this and its within my price range

round brilliant
1.8 SI1 J
55% table
62.8% depth
34.5 crown
40.8 pav
medium to slightly thick girdle
no culet

can you post a better pic of the cert? Really can't see much as it's so small. But what i can see of the inclusion plot, it does not look like it's going to be eye clean. Does he have it on hand for you to go take a look at it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results