shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Understanding the Best Color Grade for OEC's Pls!

ShouIsMyCat

Rough_Rock
Hi! I'm new to the world of antique diamonds and I recently fell in love with the beautiful flower facet patterning, and the soft pastel flashes of OEC's. I saw that most of them are around K to M and even further down the scale.

My question is, how do I find the sweet spot for color grade when purchasing OEC's, where I'm still getting those soft pastel flashes, but not alot of yellow tint in the diamond, where it's still looking white in most lighting (house, outdoor, office, etc)?

I've been looking at some other threads on PS, and I saw that people posted that you don't want an OEC around D/E/F/G because it's too white and it will flash too white and you will lose out on the distinctive pastel flashes, while I/J/K/L/M show more stronger pastel flashes due to the warmth of the diamond, but still face up white? Is this true?

I love an icy white diamond, and yellow warmth in a diamond bothers me a bit, but I still want those strong pastel flashes and I'm willing to sacrifice a slight bit of whiteness for the flashes.

So where would I settle as a buyer so I get those beautiful pastel flashes but still as much whiteness as possible? Can someone educate me please? Thanks!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I think you’re going to have to see them in person to understand where your colour tolerance lies with this cut.
You’d also need to consider what size you’re wanting. The larger the stone, the more you can see the body colour too since there’s more material.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Pastel flashes are due to colors in the environment being reflected, not body color. If you're standing under a rainbow umbrella or a colorful canopy, or taking a photo while your phone case is Pixar's Up's balloon house, the diamond will show lots of pastels no matter what color grade it is. Take that same diamond indoors into an all white room, that diamond will show no pastels.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As the others have said, only you will be able to judge what your colour tolerance is. For me, Bella is an L, and I love the creamy, vanilla colour rather than an icy stark white. They do pick up colours from the environment, so it’s a good idea to view them in different light sources.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another voice chiming in that you need to see them in person to determine your color preferences. Period. Looking at photos or even videos can be deceiving.
It comes down to personal preference.

I love OECs. I love their chunky facets. I love their soft romantic appearance. I love everything about them. But I prefer those in the JK range for the most part and it took years to figure that out. Years of seeing hundreds of them in person and seeing what I loved and what I didn't love about each one. Starting online is a good place to start but then seeing them in person is the best way to figure it out. Good luck.

And as @Austina wisely wrote yes, seeing them in all different types of lighting environments is critical. Here are my J and K OECs in the front yard.

bubbalahmaryannandgingerinfrontyard.png

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
I agree that it takes looking at many many OECs to see the differences in pattern and color and determine your preferences, and it can be really fun! With the caveat that I am not color sensitive, I agree that slightly lower color OECs (I and lower) pick up the pastel color of the surrounding areas much better. My personal sweet spot is K-L-M although J colors are GORGEOUS and I think I color can look more starkly white IMO.

Having looked at a lot of MRBs and OECs, they show color really differently. If I had chosen an MRB I probably would've stayed G/H or higher but with OECs, the "color" is not yellow so much as "flashes" if that makes sense. Face up, my M OEC looks pretty white and mostly I stare at it because it picks up color so much. Of course, I will say that from the side some warmth/yellow is visible, it IS an M after all.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I don't suspect body color plays as much a role in the pastel flashes. A well cut OEC is going to have those flashes you are after regardless of color - because it is reflecting the color of the environment.

I am very color sensitive. I wanted an icy white diamond - so I got an icy white OEC! Mine is an E color and I love it. They are harder to come by as many were recut.

Of course, a bigger diamond is going to have beautiful, big facets like @missy 's - mine are smaller, but absolutely kaleidescope-like. You will have to figure out what matters more to you

Here is a picture of my 1.3 carat, E color OEC. It is only 6.7mm - but as you can see, reflects beautiful colors. This was standing under a bright blue sky and an autumnal tree - hence the blues, greens and yellows you see reflected.

But my diamond doesn't look like that all the time- in less than ideal lighting, the body color (or lack thereof) is more obvious

IMG-4213 (1).jpg

Different lighting environments...

IMG-5965.PNG

IMG-5964.PNG

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
My Er is an an F. I consider myself color sensitive and my new OEC is an M. While my F is an icy white, my M is a bright white to creamy white depending on the time of day (but never unpleasing).

Since GIA grades color from the side, there can even be face up variation within a grade. So, as everyone is saying, you really have to judge old cuts with your own eyes. Here’s a pic to illustrate:

67B2A341-228F-42FE-9D4A-3EE4B0456574.jpeg

I think anywhere down to an M should face up pretty white most of the time.

Here's some pics of a GIA M I recently bought and returned (loved the color but not wowed by the faceting).

Pic of OEC sitting loose in an unplated 14k white gold setting. The diamonds in the band below it are G/H. 20210325_135843.jpg

Side view where the tint is more apparent.
20210325_123330.jpg

Sitting face up next to an E MRB and the G/H band.
20210325_122929.jpg

Lastly, here's a pic of it reflecting the colors of my hand and probably my pink-purple phone case.
20210325_121815.jpg

Cristallo

Shiny_Rock
I am about to purchase a large OEC and follow this thread with interest.

Would love to hear from @ LLJsmom who recently purchased a MRB, but who also owns a 3 carat OEC.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
F30BEC57-2821-4BD1-8758-49881B907313.jpeg
here‘s Bella L colour

Wow, Austina, what a lovely OEC!

I have learned that I really, really love warm diamonds. The warmer, the better. When I'm scrolling through diamond pictures, I always pause when I see a warm one, and my heart flutters. I have committed to (put on layaway with a deposit) an M color OEC that makes my heart sing.

I'm also into minerals, and I do find that rainbows seem more intense in smoky quartz or citrine than they do in clear quartz.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
L color seems to be the sweet spot for me hence the reason all of my OECs have been L. I can see warmth or yellow at M. But it’s truly up to you and your preferences. I say pick a color that looks pleasing to you in pics, take a look irl and decide if you need to go up or down.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would echo the advice to go look at a lot of stones in person. Everyone has different preferences. I have owned old cuts that are anywhere from I color to q/r. Each stone is really different.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results