shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help on picking out a diamond for an engagement ring

stowe123

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescope

I am in need of some(alot) of help. It seems like my girlfriend and I have completely different ideas of what kind of diamond to get for her engagement ring. My original plan was to get her an ideal cut eye clean 1ct diamond in possibly a halo setting.

Just to make sure I was on the right track when we were at the mall I got her to look at some rings just to get an idea of what settings she would want. To my shock she wants a 1.5 to 2 ct ring but the catch is she does not give a damn about cut size or clarity just how big it is. Most of the rings she liked had visible inclusions and I could tell they were not cut well. They were all $4-6K so they were within the budget but I just can't see spending all that money on a uncertified stone with huge inclusions. I even had her compare an ideal cut eye clean 1ct and she still liked the other rings. So I need your help price scope, where do I go to get a 1.5 to 2ct diamond that is alteast cetified in my budget which is $5-6K and at least somewhat eyeclean so I can live with it.

Here are some diamonds I found and want your opinion about them. Also how is solomon brothers? I am open to any and all suggestions.
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/DiamondDetail.aspx?sku=4HFYYHY8&affiliate=9318613A-AD0C-4530-A456-0409DFEFB8DE%20&utm_source=PriceScope

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/DiamondDetail.aspx?sku=53389FF3&affiliate=9318613A-AD0C-4530-A456-0409DFEFB8DE%20&utm_source=PriceScope

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/DiamondDetail.aspx?sku=5353H3F8&affiliate=9318613A-AD0C-4530-A456-0409DFEFB8DE%20&utm_source=PriceScope

My original choice was this one before we went to the jewelry store :http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2650814.htm

Thanks

slg47

Ideal_Rock

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Need help on picking out a diamond for an engagement rin

I think I would just sit down and have a conversation with her and say right now I would like you to have the best quality ring I can get within my budget (perfect like you!) And If you go with BGD or WF they have excellent trade in policies we can always upgrade later when money allows.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

How about an old cut stone? You can get larger for your budget. Jewels By Erica Grace has a very good reputation on PS. Here is a beauty they have at present:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...tique-Cushion/15778317_saVta#1183104630_HaiKP

Price on this page ($5600): http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/loose_antique_and_estate_diamonds

I think you need to work with your gf about the importance of cut. Here is a video that might help: http://www.vimeo.com/2281519

Jewelry store lighting is a great equalizer, it makes all diamons look pretty good -- and somehow makes less tinted stones look more tinted I have found :o . Outside that lighting, the difference between a poorly cut stone and a well cut stone is night and day. And between an included very yellow poorly cut stone and a well cut stone it is even more noticable.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Another option is to get an oval or a pear, both of which face up HUGE for the carat weight! That could be a good compromise that pleases you both!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well if I wanted BIG the areas I would drop in would probably be color..... Drop to K and lower--- what does she think of low colors that are yellow for example w and lower in color as their pricing would allow you to go bigger... I would go for eyeclean si2. I would look for cuts of stones that face up bigger like pear and oval, or old cuts that are cheaper. I wouldn't get a poorly cut visibly included stone though. Is she really ok with people seeing speckles all over her ERing stone?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

I kind of understand where she's coming from, because SIZE is all that most people see when they're checking out your hand after you get engaged. No matter your feelings about rings being judged by size, it happens. And people aren't going to ask about the color or clarity and certainly not the cut unless they are either: a) really, REALLY into diamonds, b) really, really RUDE! :cheeky: I think I could be okay with seeing tiny inclusions up close as long as the cut was phenomenal.

You could probably find a happy medium between well cut and not hugely visible inclusions. Some options:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VS2-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1236470.asp (1.5)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1360836.asp (1.5)
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104049675012 (1.2 but good upgrade policy)

I would also see if your girlfriend likes pears, because they face up pretty huge for their carat weight (not as deep as other cuts):

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1294912.asp (6.3 mm by 10mm!)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1280951.asp (6.7mm by 9.6mm!)

And just go with a simple solitaire setting with whatever shape diamond so that most of the budget goes toward the diamond.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

People do not ask about cut, for sure, but they notice it in my experience. They really comment on a well cut stone, how sparkly and brilliant it is. I get comments about that just as much as I do about the size of my diamond.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D|1307481406|2940116 said:
People do not ask about cut, for sure, but they notice it in my experience. They really comment on a well cut stone, how sparkly and brilliant it is. I get comments about that just as much as I do about the size of my diamond.

I have to agree with the cut aspect. I have had many people remark how sparkly my diamond is... If you get a poorly cut stone with no life to it I think people will see that it just doesn't sparkle like others.

I think some of those K SI2 stones might be a good compromise to get the size she wants but not getting something speckles with inclusions and dull.

stowe123

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate the help

I think I am going to pull the trigger on 1.5 ct that was suggested. What are your opinions on the cut of the stone? I think the K color comprise should be fine just a little worried about the cut.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-VS2-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1236470.asp

Also I really liked that old cut stone suggested,

stowe123

Rough_Rock

I was just about to place that diamond on hold, guess someone beat me to it

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

stowe123

Rough_Rock

So i figured out my GF does not like stones with faint yellow so I have been on a search for a H/I color 1.3 to 1.5 I1 diamond and have not had much luck. She saw a L/M color diamond in halo setting and did not like it. I have been to many local jewelry stores as I want to make sure the I1 I am getting is at least bearable to me and was not having much luck. I have also been working with a online jeweler and haven't had much luck especially with the recent 10% increase in prices.

Upon the recommendations of a friend, I tried another local jewelery store this weekend. The jeweler had a couple 1ct GIA certified diamonds in my price range. After telling him that I really don't think I could go that small he said he had a diamond that he just got in that was within my budget but It wasn't certified and he asked me if I wanted to take alook at it. So I said sure why not and he went into the back to grab it. The uncertified stone that he just got in was a 1.51 ct G I1 according to their grading. To be honest it was the best looking 1.5 ct stone I have seen within my budget, I could easily spot the inclusion from 4-6 inches away but they were all tiny clear crystals in the table ( no black spots or anything ugly) and from a foot away they aren't noticeable. As far a color I am not an expert but at the worst I don't think its any lower than an I and could vary well be a G. Looking at it with my amateur eyes it had great sparkle and I know my GF would love this stone. Best part is he only wants $4300. So I am seriously considering this stone and need to know If I am crazy. I also liked the jeweler as he had no pressure sales pitch and it didnt seem like he was just trying to unload the diamond on me, he was pointing out the inclusions to me and was even asking me if my GF would be ok with them.

I know everyone here is against buying non-cert stones but how bad can I be over paying if the diamond is only $4300? I did a pricescope search for 1.5 ct G through J stone with that are either I1 to I2 and $4300 is in the mid to low range of prices of similar stones.

So what are everyone thoughts? I know my GF would love this stone as it hits all her main criteria, number one and most important it is 1.5 ct, color is white with no tints of yellow and from what it looks like it is cut pretty good from the way it sparkles. And to me at least the inclusions aren't really noticeable and I know she could careless about them.

scepture

Rough_Rock

I know the general 'hate' for non certified stones, but keep in mind that it is YOU and your wife that will be looking at the stone every day. However, with that being said, there is a reason why it is so 'cheap' compared to the others. Besides not being certified, its simply irresponsible business for him to give you a deal that he wouldn't make money on. The general thought (I think at least..) is that if it was such a good stone, he could spend a little money getting it certified and sell it for much more.

If you really like the stone, I would recommend looking at the diamond outside of store lighting--and in as many different lighting conditions as possible. If (s)he will let you, try to see the stone outside and in other natural light settings so you can get a good feel for how the stone will look after you leave the doors of the store.

Another option is to get a written no questions asked refund period (if it already doesn't come with it). In that time, you could ask some fellow PSers for a decent and reputable appraiser in your area and get it looked at.

Hope that helps, best of luck!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock

If it looked pretty to you, and white enough from the side/flipped over, and isn't cut deep resulting in a lower face size than its weight (should be 7.25ish mm in diameter I think?) then it sounds like you found a good stone for your requirements :)

suchende

Brilliant_Rock

scepture|1308636715|2950857 said:
I know the general 'hate' for non certified stones, but keep in mind that it is YOU and your wife that will be looking at the stone every day. However, with that being said, there is a reason why it is so 'cheap' compared to the others. Besides not being certified, its simply irresponsible business for him to give you a deal that he wouldn't make money on. The general thought (I think at least..) is that if it was such a good stone, he could spend a little money getting it certified and sell it for much more.

If you really like the stone, I would recommend looking at the diamond outside of store lighting--and in as many different lighting conditions as possible. If (s)he will let you, try to see the stone outside and in other natural light settings so you can get a good feel for how the stone will look after you leave the doors of the store.

Another option is to get a written no questions asked refund period (if it already doesn't come with it). In that time, you could ask some fellow PSers for a decent and reputable appraiser in your area and get it looked at.

Hope that helps, best of luck!
I was talking to a local jeweler recently (I wasn't buying so he had no motive to lie) and he said, to be able to charge prices people are willing to pay, he's been picking up second-hand stones and unsetting them. Though, when it comes to too-cheap diamonds, i worry about enhancements...

stowe123

Rough_Rock

I think that this is what this Jeweler did, picked up a second hand ring and unset it. He also let me take it outside and look at in natural light and I was impressed with the stone. I am going to talk to them about their return policy and get an appraisal since I want one anyways for insurance purposes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results