shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help on 3ct I/ IF round

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need all the angles and measurements off the grading certificate to be able to accurately assess the stone in question.

If you have the stone on hold with a website, please post a link to it.

Or if you have the grading report number, please post it.

Additionally, do you need IF for cultural reasons or because it represents 'the best' / 'purity' / something else?

VS1 clarity will 99.9% be 'eye-clean' to the human eye at all reasonable viewing distances, and VS2 and SI1 stones can be found that are eye-clean even close up or under a loupe (although they are harder to find).

acted

Rough_Rock
Actually, I was already paid for it and wait for shipping. It is virtual stone. Therefore, the seller said it would take 2 weeks for delivery. I am fine with that.

All my diamonds are VVS1 no lower. I have a 5.5ct H in VVS1 (only 1 pinpoint).
Could not find any 3ct in H/VVS1 with 1 or 2 pinpoints only, at reasonable price. Therefore, I would rather have I/IF instead of higher color in lower clarity. I was never have GIA I color before. All my diamonds are F, G, and H color.

To me, higher clarity would give more clean and clear fires of diamonds. Even lower color as I or J in VVS with no cloudy nor big feather tails, those are more sparkles than high color with too low clarity. Those vendors advertise to catch the sales by saying higher color with low clarity is better. I do not think so!
If compare 2 diamonds, for example H/VVS1 and F/SI1-2. You will see what I am coming from.

Not mean to offend anyone please. It just my thoughts though.

30 years ago, when was a young girl, I happened worked for a big jewelry store and did not know anything about diamonds.
After 2 months of worked, because I was honest and straight forward, the owner let me sell any fine jewelries included big diamonds. I hold hundred cts of diamonds in my hands at once. His son told me to get GIA gem. certificate they will pay for it. I was too busy and did not pursue.

One time the buyer brough back a D/SI stone and ask me why there was not fired as he thought it would. He wanted to exchange another one. While my boss wasn't there, I sold him the bigger diamond (almost $10,000 more he paid in I/VVS). The buyer was so happy that I found him a good one.
Later afternoon, my boss came back (owner), he asked you took this back and exchanged bigger one? Yes, I did and got more $ for it. I responded. Then, he said, but this stone is not clean. And he stopped without saying any more. I was then immediately knew, he would rather sell lower clarity out all instead.
The end of month, I still got big bonus. He said I was a very good saleslady LOL

I worked there one year and moved of state and never got back to jewelry business.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, higher clarity would give more clean and clear fires of diamonds. Even lower color as I or J in VVS with no cloudy nor big feather tails, those are more sparkles than high color with too low clarity. Those vendors advertise to catch the sales by saying higher color with low clarity is better. I do not think so!
If compare 2 diamonds, for example H/VVS1 and F/SI1-2. You will see what I am coming from.
Sparkles have nothing to do with its clarity (up to a point). IOW , a well cut SI1 stone will out sparkle a poorly cut IF clarity stone any day of the week. Top ideal cut is the key not high clarity.

acted

Rough_Rock
Sparkles have nothing to do with its clarity (up to a point). IOW , a well cut SI1 stone will out sparkle a poorly cut IF clarity stone any day of the week. Top ideal cut is the key not high clarity.
Agree with that but better clarity is also an element contributes along to it as well.
Here is an example of this thread, https://www.pricescope.com/communit...4ct-whiteflash-g-turned-out-to-be-h-i.245823/
She picked lower color with higher clarity to get more nice clean sparkles.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I was already paid for it and wait for shipping. It is virtual stone. Therefore, the seller said it would take 2 weeks for delivery. I am fine with that.

All my diamonds are VVS1 no lower. I have a 5.5ct H in VVS1 (only 1 pinpoint).
Could not find any 3ct in H/VVS1 with 1 or 2 pinpoints only, at reasonable price. Therefore, I would rather have I/IF instead of higher color in lower clarity. I was never have GIA I color before. All my diamonds are F, G, and H color.

Not mean to offend anyone please. It just my thoughts though.

30 years ago, when was a young girl, I happened worked for a big jewelry store and did not know anything about diamonds.
After 2 months of worked, because I was honest and straight forward, the owner let me sell any fine jewelries included big diamonds. I hold hundred cts of diamonds in my hands at once. His son told me to get GIA gem. certificate they will pay for it. I was too busy and did not pursue.

One time the buyer brough back a D/SI stone and ask me why there was not fired as he thought it would. He wanted to exchange another one. While my boss wasn't there, I sold him the bigger diamond (almost $10,000 more he paid in I/VVS). The buyer was so happy that I found him a good one.
Later afternoon, my boss came back (owner), he asked you took this back and exchanged bigger one? Yes, I did and got more $ for it. I responded. Then, he said, but this stone is not clean. And he stopped without saying any more. I was then immediately knew, he would rather sell lower clarity out all instead.
The end of month, I still got big bonus. He said I was a very good saleslady LOL

I worked there one year and moved of state and never got back to jewelry business.

@acted -

Can you just clarify what exactly you're asking? If you've paid for the stone, why are you looking for opinions? Happy to give you one opinion for nothing tho; IF is a huge waste of money. You won't see inclusions with a VS1 stone, but you WILL see tint with an I, so I know which one I'd be more interested in buying.

And, as others have said, clarity won't determine light return, unless you're talking about massive clouds. Cut determines light return, and the ASET you've posted doesn't look fabulous to me.

So - that's my opinion. But - again - I'm not sure what you're looking for with this thread. Either way, I wish you the very best of luck with your new stone and hope you love it! At the end of the day, you have to love it - nobody else.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TBH I dont love the ASET, I see come clear asymmetry there. I also think the I/IF combo is a poor one. I would strongly suggest passing on this stone and continuing your hunt.
What is your budget? What is the stone going to be used for? Are you locked into working with a specific vendor?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with that but better clarity is also an element contributes along to it as well.
Here is an example of this thread, https://www.pricescope.com/communit...4ct-whiteflash-g-turned-out-to-be-h-i.245823/
She picked lower color with higher clarity to get more nice clean sparkles.
I don't think that's what happened in the thread you linked. She was unhappy with color, not clarity. Either way, clarity doesn't make a stone sparkle . Cut does. Though obviouly an I2 with giant inclusions will have issues with light performance. But for SI1 (even some eye clean SI2s) vs IF, you are incorrect.

acted

Rough_Rock
@acted -

Can you just clarify what exactly you're asking? If you've paid for the stone, why are you looking for opinions? Happy to give you one opinion for nothing tho; IF is a huge waste of money. You won't see inclusions with a VS1 stone, but you WILL see tint with an I, so I know which one I'd be more interested in buying.

And, as others have said, clarity won't determine light return, unless you're talking about massive clouds. Cut determines light return, and the ASET you've posted doesn't look fabulous to me.

So - that's my opinion. But - again - I'm not sure what you're looking for with this thread. Either way, I wish you the very best of luck with your new stone and hope you love it! At the end of the day, you have to love it - nobody else.
The seller has Free shipping return policy.
If dislike its look, I could return. This stone was recommended by Paul Gaim on beyond4c website.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If dislike its look, I could return. This stone was recommended by Paul Gaim on beyond4c website.
Ok. Again, not entirely sure what you are looking for since you already bought the stone and don't seem to want to listen to our thoughts.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

I usually try really hard to get on board with what a poster wants ... but I have to say, this one has me scratching my head (I do not have bugs on my head).

This is the first time I have ever heard someone pick I/IF ... I’m not trying to say that this could not be someone’s preference ... like yours, OP, but it seems like such a strange combination. Color at I would be much easier to see, imo, then going down in clarity.

Are you in some kind of a hurry to buy a 3 carat? It sounds like buying large diamonds is not a big deal for you ... but buying an I/IF because you haven’t found anything else - yet - seems ... rushed?

This especially doesn’t make sense to me if you have jewelry store and professional diamond experience. (On a side note, I don’t quite understand your story either ... was your boss disappointed that you accepted a crappy diamond (that he now has to try and sell) as a trade towards the cost of a more expensive diamond? I think that was the gist of it anyway)

You could find yourself a beautiful H or G if you just look a bit longer. I don’t quite understand.

However, you definitely have seen and own many more diamonds than I ever will ... you do you, as they say ...

acted

Rough_Rock
The aset you posted appears to have light leakage, I would suggest checking out WhiteFlash or take a look at these. They are no IF but they are wonderful options

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...-ags-c-104104597110#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/1/

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10769
They are nice stones but more than I like to pay.

I paid $40150 for it that included Free Platinum 950 pendant setting. Thoughts?
Much appreciate for your help!

Its GIA report **removed at OP request**

Last edited by a moderator:

acted

Rough_Rock
TBH I dont love the ASET, I see come clear asymmetry there. I also think the I/IF combo is a poor one. I would strongly suggest passing on this stone and continuing your hunt.
What is your budget? What is the stone going to be used for? Are you locked into working with a specific vendor?
No. I am not locked to any vendor. It just happened I search and that vendor popped up.
I could spend more but, since having few expensive pieces already, I would not want spend too much on 3ct one.

Last edited:

acted

Rough_Rock
I usually try really hard to get on board with what a poster wants ... but I have to say, this one has me scratching my head (I do not have bugs on my head).

This is the first time I have ever heard someone pick I/IF ... I’m not trying to say that this could not be someone’s preference ... like yours, OP, but it seems like such a strange combination. Color at I would be much easier to see, imo, then going down in clarity.

Are you in some kind of a hurry to buy a 3 carat? It sounds like buying large diamonds is not a big deal for you ... but buying an I/IF because you haven’t found anything else - yet - seems ... rushed?

This especially doesn’t make sense to me if you have jewelry store and professional diamond experience. (On a side note, I don’t quite understand your story either ... was your boss disappointed that you accepted a crappy diamond (that he now has to try and sell) as a trade towards the cost of a more expensive diamond? I think that was the gist of it anyway)

You could find yourself a beautiful H or G if you just look a bit longer. I don’t quite understand.

However, you definitely have seen and own many more diamonds than I ever will ... you do you, as they say ...
I was in sales when was very young. I did not care for diamonds at all before. Just 20 years back.
I am not into hurry to buy diamonds LOL.
Correct, I have few pieces that I should not buy any more because am not wear those often to justify the cost LOL.
But, I just in the mood of buying LOL.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are nice stones but more than I like to pay.

I paid $40150 for it that included Free Platinum 950 pendant setting. Thoughts?
Much appreciate for your help!

Its GIA report
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6325434760&s=1558044010782

Well it scores a 1 on the HCA which is great and it is stating that it has a big spread for the carat weight which is also always nice. I think it will end up to how you like it in person and if you can tolerate the color. Post photos when you get it!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have not looked at your selection- I'm not allowed to comment on it based on forum rules....
Two things...
1) Congratulations!!
2)
In the interest of correct information: As others have pointed out- clarity and sparkle are pretty much unrelated if we're speaking of stones GIA graded SI2 or above.
For sure, there are SI2 diamonds that are not eye clean- and a small percentage may have transparency issues.
But by and large, the size of an imperfection in a correctly graded SI2 diamond can not affect sparkle.
If the SI2 is based on a single crystal, or feather, and it's located above a large facet, you might be abler to pick it out naked eye.
But if the SI2 is comprised of a bunch of small crystals, there's a likelihood it will be virtually identical to an Internally Flawless- or even a Flawless diamond.
This is not to dissuade you ( or anyone) from pursuing an IF diamond- but rather allowing you to do so with the correct info in hand.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
No offense, but I do not think you have an understanding of diamonds. Whatever "knowledge" you feel you gleaned as a "young girl", as you described yourself, working in a large jewelry store (I'm getting an image of a large chain operation) is incorrect. Also, ability to make large sales does not equate whatsoever with diamond knowledge (certainly not accurate knowledge).
Your pairing of IF clarity with I color makes absolutely no sense, in general, especially in a 3 carat, as well as your "understanding" of what color and clarity does and/or does not for a stone is completely inaccurate.
I have had D, E. G, H, I, & K of varying sizes and cutting styles... and I can tell you that the I color will be a sharper departure from H than is your F to G and G to H.
I am sorry to be so crass but I was just so shocked by what I was reading.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well it scores a 1 on the HCA which is great and it is stating that it has a big spread for the carat weight which is also always nice. I think it will end up to how you like it in person and if you can tolerate the color. Post photos when you get it!
The numbers look great to me, per PS guidelines, and if it scored an HCA of 1 even better. I hope we get to see it!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your pairing of IF clarity with I color makes absolutely no sense, in general,

Playing devils advocate here- because this is a common sentiment- and I totally get where you're coming from.
On the other hand....
The difference in price between an IVVS1 and an I/IF will be a lot smaller than the difference between an F/VVS1 and an F/IF. It's not uncommon for dealers to offer the I/IF at the same price as an I/VVS1
In a sense, that makes a I/IF a bargain for someone looking for an IF in particular.

So there are two sides to how to consider this:)

I have had D, E. G, H, I, & K of varying sizes and cutting styles... and I can tell you that the I color will be a sharper departure from H than is your F to G and G to H.
This is also a very good point- as we go down the color scale, the range of each color widens- so the difference from a "high H" to a "low I" can be dramatic. In fact this contributes to the smaller difference in price between IF and VVS in an I ( or lower) color

acted

Rough_Rock
The numbers look great to me, per PS guidelines, and if it scored an HCA of 1 even better. I hope we get to see it!
I just received the stone after over 35 days of waited.
Love at first arrival! :love:
Unbelievable ! Sparkles like fireworks ! Clean clean clean Clarity with average color range are my points to buy!

This I/IF of GIA is white in Platinum pendant setting no yellow tint at all (could be my lightings?).
I have not compared to higher colors with my other diamonds yet.
Happy camper I am!

acted

Rough_Rock
Playing devils advocate here- because this is a common sentiment- and I totally get where you're coming from.
On the other hand....
The difference in price between an IVVS1 and an I/IF will be a lot smaller than the difference between an F/VVS1 and an F/IF. It's not uncommon for dealers to offer the I/IF at the same price as an I/VVS1
In a sense, that makes a I/IF a bargain for someone looking for an IF in particular.

So there are two sides to how to consider this:)

This is also a very good point- as we go down the color scale, the range of each color widens- so the difference from a "high H" to a "low I" can be dramatic. In fact this contributes to the smaller difference in price between IF and VVS in an I ( or lower) color
Saw I/VVS1 vs I/IF, almost same price. Why would on earth I want VVS1 for same price LOL

acted

Rough_Rock
I took some pictures already. Will posted later when have time because of you :)

acted

Rough_Rock
No offense, but I do not think you have an understanding of diamonds. Whatever "knowledge" you feel you gleaned as a "young girl", as you described yourself, working in a large jewelry store (I'm getting an image of a large chain operation) is incorrect. Also, ability to make large sales does not equate whatsoever with diamond knowledge (certainly not accurate knowledge).
Your pairing of IF clarity with I color makes absolutely no sense, in general, especially in a 3 carat, as well as your "understanding" of what color and clarity does and/or does not for a stone is completely inaccurate.
I am sorry to be so crass but I was just so shocked by what I was reading.
Different strokes for different folks.

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
My J ACA stone is like no other stone I have ever had. It is an exquisite beacon of light and sparkle. It was in the parameters of budget and size for us, and I could not be more pleased(and initially surprised). Everyone has their own 'taste' preference, but I believe many(most) PSers hone information and guidance from more knowledgeable folks 'here' in order to get the MOST fabulous stone afforded to them. Good luck with your prospect.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will look forward to pics!

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I want to see!! Please post pics! @acted

acted

Rough_Rock
Tried to upload 2 videos but it said file too large

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results