shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding a stone for engagement ring

bronco36

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I have been searching online for an oval diamond and could use some help or recommendations of places to look.

I am searching for the following oval:
  • 1.8-2 carats
  • D-H color, preferably D-F
  • SI1 or better
  • LW ratio of ~1.5
  • Budget: Max is $16.5k
My SO’s ring size is a 4.5. Please let me know if these specs do not make sense or if I should reconsider any of the above in my search!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you try to Pricescope search engine just above your post? After it loads, Click on the HCA column to see the HCA for that stone.

Reactions: caf

bronco36

Rough_Rock
Thank you, I have searched using the Pricescope engine and I am wondering if I should have confidence in all the sellers listed?

For example, Good Old Gold has several diamonds that meet my parameters. It is a bit scary buying a diamond online but it looks like there are some great values out there.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can post the ones you're interested in here and get some feedback. You might want to put them on hold first so they dont get taken.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, I have searched using the Pricescope engine and I am wondering if I should have confidence in all the sellers listed?

For example, Good Old Gold has several diamonds that meet my parameters. It is a bit scary buying a diamond online but it looks like there are some great values out there.

Good old gold has been a trusted vendor for years. Just make sure you are comfortable with the return and upgrade policy. They vary by vendor.

bronco36

Rough_Rock
You can post the ones you're interested in here and get some feedback. You might want to put them on hold first so they dont get taken.

Thank you! After looking at the results I found one I am interested in and would like your thoughts on it? I have attached the GIA cert.

Price Scope: 1.9, F, VS2

Attachments

• 5211115031.pdf
    930.8 KB · Views: 53

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! After looking at the results I found one I am interested in and would like your thoughts on it? I have attached the GIA cert.

Price Scope: 1.9, F, VS2

I dont know how I missed that this was an oval! HCA wont work for ovals.

FYI_ People dont like to download attachments....but dont mind links to the stones/reports.

For fancy cut stones like Ovals you need to have pictures/videos to see how the stone is reacting as it moves. You cant not buy a fancy
cut stone by the numbers. I'll look around some and see what I can find. Stay tuned.

bronco36

Rough_Rock
I dont know how I missed that this was an oval! HCA wont work for ovals.

FYI_ People dont like to download attachments....but dont mind links to the stones/reports.

For fancy cut stones like Ovals you need to have pictures/videos to see how the stone is reacting as it moves. You cant not buy a fancy
cut stone by the numbers. I'll look around some and see what I can find. Stay tuned.

Thank you for the heads up about attachments. I’ll just provide links from here on out. I look forward to seeing what you can dig up!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With a 1.5 ratio mostly what you are going to find is 8 mains off-center faceting pattern. You need to look for a wide
area of nice facets through the middle area. You will end up with some mushy facets leading down towards the pointed ends.

I'm not finding a whole lot in the 1.8-2 range but will post what I think is worth a look.

This one is a 4 main
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.75-ct-H-VS2-Excellent-Cut-Oval-Diamond/D45737938?rfr=search same stone I believe

8 main off-center
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.73-ct-H-VS1-Excellent-Cut-Oval-Diamond/D45742548?rfr=search same stone?

I suggest poking around adiamor. They seem to have the best prices and are a Pricescope featured vendor.

The ones I listed above are from a quick view (didnt look at reports etc). Pay attention to L x W because they will vary broadly.

bronco36

Rough_Rock
Are there any pros/cons to having 8 mains vs 4 mains? I have read online that the more mains usually leads to less of a bow tie.

In regards to your comments about nice facets in the middle, are you saying that I should keep a close eye on the diamond plots for inclusion-free areas in the middle of the oval?

Thanks for the recommendation on adiamor. I am finding a nice selection.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
have you had the opportunity to peruse the ovals on offer at distinctive gems?? it might be worth your while

bronco36

Rough_Rock
have you had the opportunity to peruse the ovals on offer at distinctive gems?? it might be worth your while

I just took a look at distinctive gems and they are a bit more expensive than other sites. Thank you for the recommendation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results