shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help: Discrepancy in IGI report/ Retailer fraud?

Paola1

Rough_Rock
Purchased 10CT graduated diamond eternity necklace from a well known retailer. Prior to the online purchase, I was informed via email center diamond being 0.46Ct, and 2 on the sides as 0.40 and total number of diamonds being 165.
Upon receipt of the necklace, The IGI report states 2 Round diamonds TW 0.6CT, and 2 round diamonds 0.44 CT TW, along with other smaller diamonds-18 for 2.52 CT TW, 142 round TW 6.04CT. The total of the diamonds come to 9.60 CT. However the report further states along with the retailer that total diamond weight 10.05 CT.

I emailed the retailer regarding the discrepancy of the center largest diamond not being 0.46CT as stated prior to purchase, was told that it should be 0.46 CT and if there is an issue and I could return it. Upon inquiring more, they looked at the report and tried to tell me 2 Round diamonds 0.6CT TW means 2X 0.6CT =1.20 CT ( written in the picture attached I received via email) and tells me the total now is 10.64 CT. When I asked further that TW is mentioned in the report and that does mean total weight of the diamonds so both diamonds together weigh 0.6CT, and the total weight in the report as 10.05CT, I was told to give them some time so they can verify with IGI.
Has anyone ever had similar issues with IGI reports/buying jewelry? Is this any kind of fraud, it is a well known retailer. First time buying IGI graded jewelry. Attaching the report. IMG_4593.jpeg IMG_4593.jpeg

Thank you in advance.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look at the report everything is an estimate or measured in the setting. Do you have a picture of the necklace?

I think the center stone is a .45 (as graded above the handwritten info) and the stones next to it are .3 each or 0.6 ctw.
The center would have to be more than .45 if each of the side stones were .6 each (1.2ctw). Or, the .6 stones would have
to be extremely deep so they faced up smaller than the .45 (ok, not likely).

Your 10.64 estimate doesnt look like it includes the .45 (estimated) center stone.

I think you really have to take these grading reports with a big grain of salt. There would be no fraud because everything
is estimated and would fall within tolerance (my guess, I'm not a lawyer).

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Return it for a full refund and no restocking fee. TW means total weight, so if it says 2 x .60 TW that means there are two .30 stones totaling .6.

They probably have a similar necklace with the larger stones and sent you the smaller version. Again, it’s not what you ordered, so return it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is not including the .45 center stone in his total.

edit...in other words, he got what the report says.

Paola1

Rough_Rock
He is not including the .45 center stone in his total.

You mean the IGI report does not include the 0.45 stone in the total? His total already exceeds the total weight mentioned in the report.

Paola1

Rough_Rock
Return it for a full refund and no restocking fee. TW means total weight, so if it says 2 x .60 TW that means there are two .30 stones totaling .6.

They probably have a similar necklace with the larger stones and sent you the smaller version. Again, it’s not what you ordered, so return it.

Yes, that is what I have planned for. Was concerned since I was asked to wait till they verify this with IGI.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The total is 10.05. Can you post a picture of the whole report? The center stone is graded separately (above the handwritten numbers).

The side stones are .3 each .6 ctw.

.45 - center stone
10.05 total carat weight

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
InkedCapture.jpg

Paola1

Rough_Rock
The total is 10.05. Can you post a picture of the whole report? The center stone is graded separately (above the handwritten numbers).

The side stones are .3 each .6 ctw.

.45 - center stone
10.05 total carat weight

Oh, I see. Will post the report as I get back home. Another question: Retailer noted side two diamonds being 0.4 ct each, however per report they are 0.3ct Each (O.6ct TW). Is that discrepancy (receiving 0.3 vs 0.4ct) normal or should I be returning this piece?
Thanks for looking into this.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Returning is up to you. I dont think they knew what they were talking about. According to the report, the 2 side stones are .3 each
then .22 each next to those.

Where did the retailer note that the side diamonds were .4 each?

Paola1

Rough_Rock
I had inquired about 3 center diamonds via email prior to purchasing. Was told the center stone is 0.46ct and side ones are 0.40 Ct each.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think that's what you got. Maybe you should contact them and tell them that you want the one you discussed with the .4
sides.

Paola1

Rough_Rock
I dont think that's what you got. Maybe you should contact them and tell them that you want the one you discussed with the .4
sides.

Thank you so much for the help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results