shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help deciding, with no Sarin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kim-h

Rough_Rock
I have two diamonds to compare from DCD, and they could only get Sarin reports for me if the wholesaler had them, which they didn''t. Actually they told me that the HCA is not necessary with ideal cuts anyway.
So maybe someone can tell me if one of these will be good without it. They are about the same price, and the I color doesn''t bother me, just the cut.

Thanks for any input!

GIA stone #1 : H VS2
round brilliant
6.25 - 6.32 - 3.87
0.92 carat
depth 61.6
table 57
girdle thin to medium faceted
culet none
polish VG
symmetry VG
fluor. none

Gia stone #2 - I VS2
round brilliant
6.44 -6.48 x 3.91
0.98 carat
depth 60.5
table 58
girdle thin to medium, polished
culet none
polish VG
symmetry VG
Fluores. none

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Kim,

On paper, the H/VS2 seems preferable,
but you may need to have your stone
examined by an expert for a detailed
analysis.

Please go to the thread titled,
"Need Some Expert Advice on Purchase."

Kirk Konst

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
Actually they told me that the HCA is not necessary with ideal cuts anyway.
----------------
How do they know these are ideal cuts without crown and pavilion angles?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree..try to get the crown and pav angles. Without that it will be hard to say much about these stones other than using their dimensions...which are very different from each other even though the stones are about the same weight. I would scratch my head on that one. I think the 2nd stone seems more inline with how an almost 1c stone should be with dimensions but if I am wrong, someone please correct me!

Also on their comment about it not being necessary to run the HCA....that is up to you to decide, not them. You are the one spending the big bucks here...and if you deem the HCA score is important to you, fight for the crown and pav angles. At the very least even if you don't need the HCA scores for your decision, the crown and pav angles will tell you if your crown is too shallow or deep and same with the pav, you don't want to carry extra weight in the pavilion where it will probably do you no good and diminish the look of the stone. So regardless of whether you think the HCA is necessary, the c/p angles would help in determining the cut of the stone better--which is something you appear to be interested in.

I never like it when a vendor tells me something is not needed and/or to trust them, as chances are if I asked for it in the first place, I probably think its pretty important and trust is earned. But that is just me...whatever you choose, good luck!
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the second one. Unless it has a shallow crown, the pavilion should not be deep. Why don't you send it to Dave Atlas? He has a sarin machine and he says he have a 1 day turn around... Since he's an appraiser, you could use it to verify the infos provided by GIA...

Giangi

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/1/2003 8:31:33 PM kim-h wrote:
I have two diamonds to compare from DCD, and they could only get Sarin reports for me if the wholesaler had them, which they didn't. Actually they told me that the HCA is not necessary with ideal cuts anyway.
----------------

RUN......run the other way. I would not do business with any vendor who offered any kind of resistance in getting the data that I need to make an informed decision as a consumer. It's bad enough that they are unwilling to get the Sarin reports......BUT....the fact that they actually told you that HCA isn't *necessary* for ideal cuts???????? That tells me that they don't do business honestly, and I'd take my business elsewhere if I were in your shoes.

In fact, I'm glad to hear this story because I now know to eliminate DCD from my pool of potential vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results