shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help deciding between an OEC and two cushions

Which one should I keep?

• Keep the OEC (far left in the video)

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Keep the 1.01 cushion (middle guy in the video)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Keep the 1.06 cushion (far right in the video)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep both cushions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep all

• Return all

• Total voters

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Hello my fellow PSers! Once again I am here looking for help as I can't decide between 3 stones I recently purchased. All 3 are in the 0.9-1.1ct range in acceptable color, clarity, and size to me. With that said, it is all narrowed down to the light performance, and I need your help with your experienced eyes! I thank you ahead very very much!

The OEC is 0.9ish, the cushion in the middle is 1.01 and cushion on the far right is 1.06.

I uploaded some videos and hopefully this will give a better idea of their performance:

Outdoor sun:

Outdoor cloudy:

Indoor night:

Which one in your opinion is a winner, or are they all a return situation? I also set up a poll for you to vote. I thank you very very much for your advice!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tbh it’s really hard to tell from these videos. My favourite cut is OEC so I was the most at that stone. I was looking to see edge to edge brightness and the central petals turning on and off. I don’t see that but I don’t know if that’s the stone or the video. There’s a bit of central darkness which again might be the camera being close.
What do you see in terms of facet sparkling when you turn it around? You’d expect to see them turning on and off as you move it.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with @foxinsox, it’s hard to tell from the videos but I do see some obstruction in the cushions for sure and some of the oec table facets seem to be turning off at the same time.

It might be more conducive to take 3 separate videos of each of the stones so that we can evaluate each one comprehensively.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for better videos showing the faceting and on/off pattern more clearly. I would take separate videos of each to get a clearer eval of the faceting.

From what you shared I prefer the OEC because I do not like the obstruction I think I am seeing in the cushions.

Move them slowly when you take more video so we can better appreciate the performance of the stones.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hard to tell, I like thé far right the least . It seems to have a less lively center, but it is hard to see what is going on. What do you see IRL? They look like a great match though so my vote is prob to just keep everything!

For better video, take your two loose cushions and put them in a folded paper 'stand tray' , then put the oec ring on a bit of blue tack next to it and then video the stones by moving the cameraAtor slowly turning the tray. Attached is a photo of what I mean by folded paper. 61.039__67801.1477006244.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you do some up close pictures of the 3 so we can see the faceting patterns on them.

I cant really form an opinion from the videos.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
@foxinsox @Spring Day @missy @737lizakg @tyty333 thank you so much for your advice! I took a few new videos of them. I am not quite sure if I did a better job this time - it is harder than I thought to shoot these videos! I tried. With that said, I also attached links to JA pages of the two cushions hopefully that can help ta bit. Here they are:

OEC:

1.01 cushion (the middle stone from previous videos):

1.01 JA page:

1.06 cushion (far right one from the previous videos):

1.06 JA page:

Thank you so very much again!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
The videos were slightly better but I still couldn’t really make out much. But from what I did see... I don’t like any one of them. I’m sorry.

edit: does there happen to be one that calls out to you though? We can judge performance all we want but its YOU that’s going to be wearing this and if there’s one that’s calling out to you...

wifelife

Rough_Rock
Out of the three, if I had to choose one I like the 1.06. But this is based purely on what my eyes are drawn to and nothing technical or specific.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to be picky but I still can't really tell. The OEC doesn't look like a bottomless black pit which is good.
Do you notice the facets turning on and off when you rotate or move it around?
You want to see a play of facets turning on and off, not one section always staying dark or always staying lit up to have the sort of light show that will be enjoyable IMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for taking video of each one separately but like @Spring Day and @foxinsox I still cannot appreciate the on/off pattern or faceting. It could have to do with the video quality which is only 480. It seems blurry to me. I cannot make a decision based on the videos shared, I'm sorry.

Can you try video outside?

Here's an example of how the video should look with moving the stone to appreciate the faceting.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for taking video of each one separately but like @Spring Day and @foxinsox I still cannot appreciate the on/off pattern or faceting. It could have to do with the video quality which is only 480. It seems blurry to me. I cannot make a decision based on the videos shared, I'm sorry.

Can you try video outside?

Here's an example of how the video should look with moving the stone to appreciate the faceting.

@missy gives a great example! If you could go outside, (and I assume you are using your phone) stand under some shade, focus your phone on the diamond with no zoom and once focused zoom into the desired magnification. If you want to record all three diamonds, you can always line them up in between the crevice of your fingers.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The OEC is decent. If you could not look any further, I would keep the OEC for now. The two cushions seem well matched in size, but the videos don't seem to do them justice. The faceting pattern seems ok, not great, not really bad. If for a pair of earrings, and you love OMCs, then yeah, maybe. Not as sparkly and lively as you could get but not that bad. Depends on what you want to do with them.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
I apologize for my horrible video shooting technique and thanks a lot for bearing with me!

After playing with them for a few days, I started to feel that my eyes like the OEC most. It is white under table with petal facets which turn on and off when moving. It looks like it is glowing from inside.

The 1.01 cushion reminds me of the AVC pattern. The problem with it is that the under table looks dark, so is the 1.06. I think this issue, together with my horrible videos, make it really hard for you to view them in the videos.

I am surprisingly happy to finally see @missy 's Bubbalah in motion! I have been drooling over her pictures and had thought to ask missy posting some videos. I didn't because I felt it would be too much favor to ask. I am so glad to see the video. She is beyond gorgeous!! Thank you missy for the video!

I have decided to keep the OEC and return the cushions. I am very grateful that you help me with this decision. Although the videos are pretty useless, you mentioned the general principles of good diamonds which helps a lot!

The OEC shows rainbow-y sparkles under dim lights. The 1.01 reflects bold fires under direct sun light - which makes me think maybe I should get a pair of AVC? I saw in a previous post a few PSers mentioned they'd rather get an OMC over AVC. Is it because of the light performance or the uniqueness of the OMC?

I have one last video here just to show I am practicing LOL. I am giving up on video shooting after this one.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thank you and congratulations on your new to you OEC. :appl:

As for preferring genuine old cuts (OMCs) over newly cut to look old cut (AVCs) it comes down to personal preference. There is no right or wrong it's what makes your heart sing if you kwim.

Your last video was pretty good! Don't give up taking video. It just takes practice and it's fun to practice so it's all good. :)

Congrats on making a decision! Are you going to keep the OEC in its current setting for a while? Or will you be planning a reset straightaway?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pricescopenewbie that last video is :clap:
You did a great job. And great news that you found a stone you’re happy with! Please post up when you set it so we can enjoy it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results