shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help comparing two diamonds from JA

Parto

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

What a fantastic world we live in where I can sit across my screen in Sweden and have a chat with you all.

I'm searching for a diamond that is going to be set on a wedding ring. I don't see it as an actual investment so I'm looking for a diamond that gives me the best bang for the buck. In other words, I don't want to pay extra for anything I can't see with my bare eye. If it doesn't make a difference to the beholder (my wife to be) it's not worth my money.

I've done some research and I'm thinking about settling with a 1.00 CARAT K-VS1 Excellent cut round diamond on a 18k yellow gold setting. I've chose the color grading to be as low as possible (k) since the diamond will be on a gold setting and excellent cut since I've read that it's what matters the most. Here is the diamond: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...k-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1534442

I've been reading some more and some sites suggest even going as low as SI2/SI1 to save money because the difference would be none to the eye vs a VS1. I found a diamond, but according to some experts the inclusions will be visible to the eye. I don't know if this is bullshit or not so I really want a second opinion from you guys. Here is the SI2 diamond:https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...k-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1769776

All help and general feedback is much appreciated!

Best regards
Parto

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Parto from Sweden :wavey: ,
You need to talk to JA (you can use the Diamond Inspection button) and ask them if it is eye-clean at 6 inches (or whatever
distance you choose). Since you are in a different country I would hate for the stone not to be eye-clean where you may not be
happy with it.

That first K you posted is a 60/60 stone. Low crown with higher pavilion. It looks like it has a slight tint of brown so I would ask
JA about that. Also ask for an idealscope image (they can only do if the stone is local to New York). Post if they can get it for you on either stones.

tyty333 from USA

Parto

Rough_Rock
Hi tyty333 :)!

Thanks! I will ask JA about idealscope images and if they are eye clean. Is 60/60 generally an ideal proportion on a diamond? Does the proportions play a big role in it's overall "sparkly, brilliant and fiery"?

Parto

Rough_Rock
Alright - They say that the SI2 one is Eye clean at 6 inches and that it has a better cut than the VS1. "For round diamond, the ideal table is 53.0 - 58.0 %, crown angle (which contributes to the fire) is 33.0 - 36.0 degrees, depth between 59.3 - 62.8 % and pavilion angle (which has to do with the brilliance) 40.6 - 41.0 degrees"

They will give me a idealscope picture on the SI2 in 48h.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the forum! :))

Just to ask the question, does your future wife know of your plans? Or is it a surprise?

Have you looked at diamonds with her yet? Is she happy with a K?

K will have visible tint from the sides and from the top in some lights, so if she is happy with a warm stone, that is fine :)

If she is actually a colourless-freak and wants a D, though, you might struggle to get that sort of size stone for anywhere near what the K is priced at... :lol: lol

Regarding SI1 and inclusions, if a stone is eyeclean from the distance you request them to check, it should be a good option for you. Make sure you check on the certificate, though, as if it has "Clarity grade is based on clouds not shown" then you might have issues with transparency. Ultimately, buying from one of the PS vendors means you are safe because you can return a stone if you don't like it and just be out-of-pocket for the shipping and insurance, so do not worry :)

Parto

Rough_Rock
OoohShiny|1466854715|4048130 said:
Welcome to the forum! :))

Just to ask the question, does your future wife know of your plans? Or is it a surprise?

Have you looked at diamonds with her yet? Is she happy with a K?

K will have visible tint from the sides and from the top in some lights, so if she is happy with a warm stone, that is fine :)

If she is actually a colourless-freak and wants a D, though, you might struggle to get that sort of size stone for anywhere near what the K is priced at... :lol: lol

Regarding SI1 and inclusions, if a stone is eyeclean from the distance you request them to check, it should be a good option for you. Make sure you check on the certificate, though, as if it has "Clarity grade is based on clouds not shown" then you might have issues with transparency. Ultimately, buying from one of the PS vendors means you are safe because you can return a stone if you don't like it and just be out-of-pocket for the shipping and insurance, so do not worry :)

It's a surprise and we have never looked at diamonds together. My future wife is far from picky, she would be so happy with about anything on her finger really, thats why you always want to ge the best for her. We are in our mid twenties so unfortunately a D diamond is not an option. I just want to get the best for what I can afford/ and what does make sense. As I said, if she can't see the difference then it wouldn't be worth it since the diamond itself is a really bad "actual" investment. The investment is in her.

Thanks for the advice on the certificate and on the returns, I'll look it up.

Parto

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1466786806|4047555 said:
Hi Parto from Sweden :wavey: ,
You need to talk to JA (you can use the Diamond Inspection button) and ask them if it is eye-clean at 6 inches (or whatever
distance you choose). Since you are in a different country I would hate for the stone not to be eye-clean where you may not be
happy with it.

That first K you posted is a 60/60 stone. Low crown with higher pavilion. It looks like it has a slight tint of brown so I would ask
JA about that. Also ask for an idealscope image (they can only do if the stone is local to New York). Post if they can get it for you on either stones.

tyty333 from USA

Here is the Idealscope of the K SI2 diamond

1769776id.jpg

Parto

Rough_Rock
Altho JA has said that the K-SI2 diamond is Eye clean, Jenny at diamonds.pro say otherwise and says that the VS1 is a better go...

"There are crystals and feathers all over the table. There's no way it's eye clean.

You are right, our side recommends searching in the SI2+ range. However, these diamonds are only a better value when they are eye-clean. It's great when you find an eye-clean SI2 or SI1 diamond, but sometimes a great VS+ can be cheaper than an average SI+. It doesn't automatically mean, that all SIs are cheaper and better value.

That K-VS1 I found you is an excellent option. Do you still want more recommendations?"

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you pay Jenny for her assistance at Diamonds.pro? Or is she affiliated with a particular vendor?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are those brown patches on the IdealScope the inclusions?

They look pretty substantial so I would have my doubts that it is eye clean.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results