shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Comparing Diamonds

bangdak

Rough_Rock
I was thinking about purchasing a diamond and just wanted to receive a couple of extra opinions before I pulled the trigger. I've attached a screenshot of the GIA report as well as the Idealscope and would extremely appreciate the feedback.

As background, overall, I tried to focus on the cut, hence the diamond being close to some of the perfect proportions in terms of cut to get the best fire, resilience, etc. As such, it ended up slightly above my budget but I think worth if so long as it's a good cut but would love some more expert opinions to validate my observations and research.

First Diamond:

HCA score was 1.2
1572672815997.png
1572672829455.png

Second Diamond:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good choice.

If I guessed you budget correctly, I'd consider these diamonds from WF or HPD. Better customer service,true super-ideal, better upgrade options.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Echo @rockysalamander's comments.

Personally, I think the HPD stone is the winner of that group. Slightly better G color, great size and since it's still being crafted (cut), then there is a chance the color & clarity improves. If that happens, you get the upgrades for free if you commit to buying before it's finished.

Also, CBI who cuts the stones that HPD sells, is very particular about their color and clarity grading. Also HPD will vet the stone a second time to confirm it's great. Although "just" an SI1, it will be a very eye clean SI1 as they are very critical on themselves internally.

FYI, it appears the arrows on the WF G VS2 are slightly different sized. IIRC, this may be the stone that I helped another interested buyer with and WF responded they are indeed a little off and the reason it ended up as an ES vs ACA. Still gorgeous and a great buy. Just trying to give full disclosure.

bangdak

Rough_Rock
Many thanks for your replies @rockysalamander and @sledge.

The diamonds provided in rockysalamder's post are slightly above my budget but I must admit, I had wished that I found WF and HPD earlier as they both have much better trading up policies (and cuts) compared to JA and Bluenile. Too much time has already been spent on JA's website!

The HPD diamond is extremely interesting since it's still being crafted/cut - at this point, I think i may go with both the first JA diamond and HPD (due to timing constraints) and see which one ultimately comes out nicer.

Thoughts on this approach and any issues to be flagged with the JA diamond?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many thanks for your replies @rockysalamander and @sledge.

The diamonds provided in rockysalamder's post are slightly above my budget but I must admit, I had wished that I found WF and HPD earlier as they both have much better trading up policies (and cuts) compared to JA and Bluenile. Too much time has already been spent on JA's website!

The HPD diamond is extremely interesting since it's still being crafted/cut - at this point, I think i may go with both the first JA diamond and HPD (due to timing constraints) and see which one ultimately comes out nicer.

Thoughts on this approach and any issues to be flagged with the JA diamond?
Before you decide, give HPD a call. Nothing ventured nothing gained...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely contact @Wink or @Winks_Elf to see what is going on with this stone, how far out they are, etc.

While I think the JA stones you picked are nice, the HPD stone make me weak in the knees good. If those stones are 8.5 or 9's the HPD/CBI is your 10.

Their commitment and enthusiasm they have from selecting rough to shipping the finished product and then helping you with upgrades, etc is unreal. Point blank Wink, who owns HPD, is one of the coolest cats on this board and his intentions and heart is nothing but pure gold.

I certainly respect whatever decision you make but I would be all in with HPD if I were in your shoes.

Last edited:

bangdak

Rough_Rock
Some very strong recommendations above - I'm impressed!

Just out of curiosity, considering that there's no images of the HPD, what makes you so confident about HPD compared to the WF and JA diamonds? In addition to what was mentioned above, is it based on their reputation of creating superior cuts and the fact that the colors normally look better than what it's graded at? I don't know too much of their platform so just trying to understand.

@Wink or @Winks_Elf - I've sent a request through the website, extremely interested in learning more about this diamond based on the suggestions above.

Thanks!

Last edited:

bangdak

Rough_Rock
@rockysalamander and @sledge, do you guys mind PMing me?

Wanted to ask for both of your feedback but since I'm new, I can't PM either of you.

Thanks!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately this forum does not allow PM's for new or experienced users.

I'm happy to answer on this thread.

Alternatively you can reach me on LT.

bangdak

Rough_Rock
In that case, let's open it up to the quorum!

Per some of the suggestions above and some independent follow up research on pricescope, I decided to go with HPD and CBI and ultimately ended up looking at the following two diamonds.

Now, Option #2 was actually recommended above by @rockysalamander. During the grading process, the HPD team shared that the diamond got a nice bump in the clarity from the labs (it was originally a S1), free of cost to me per their policy of ordering diamonds that are currently being crafted, a huge win!

Initially, although both diamonds are stated as being eye clean, I was a bit concerned about some of the inclusions on the two diamonds if I was to view it up close (say, 3 - 5 inches away) but Wink was kind enough to create a side-by-side video below and i couldn't see a difference at all. Maybe it'll be a bit more noticeable in person but I digress.

Any thoughts about these two diamonds? Both look spectacular to me and the idealscope and ASET images look great. In the video below, you can see the slight difference between the G and H colors, although the differences are quite minimal. Am I missing anything else?

Keep in mind, option 2 ends up being a bit cheaper when it's all said and done.

Option #1

Option #2

Link to Side-by-Side Comparison

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
If I were to choose from these two options my personal preference would be the H. I like that it is slightly larger, and I love a smaller table.

I can also see the difference in body colour between the H and G in the video above, but face up I don”t think you will notice that.

As long as the H is eye clean and I am sure it is (judging by the video). Confirm though if in doubt.

You can’t go wrong with either option IMHO, they are both great CBI’s. I would even consider a larger CBI with your budget (just my own personal thought).

Which stone are your eyes drawn too?

Good luck with your decision.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tough one, but if I must pick one I'd go with the H SI1.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Echo @rockysalamander's recommendation to have @Wink give you his personal opinion of the two stones. He's a very trustworthy source and I don't think you can capture the true beauty of a stone in video.

That said....based on the video....to my eyes, the G looked a little more lively. Maybe it was lighting, angle, etc. I'm not sure. Also, I appreciate the more white color of the G from the side over the slight tint of the H. Plus, the almost 0.20mm difference is minimal and only about 1/128th of an inch different. I doubt you will remember but you may see the color difference more easily.

But I am a little biased. I bought my wife a BGD H VS2 stone. It's great, but we do see tint occasionally at different angles. If I were to get a redo, or when we upgrade, we will secure a better color due to our preference for whiter stones. For us, cut and color is more important than minimal size gains. You and yours may prioritize it differently, which is okay.

So based on my experiences, I'd likely choose the G. Plus I also prefer the VS2 clarity, although I know both stones are eye clean and at this size, it probably doesn't matter either way as both stones are also well vetted by experienced eyes. And as I initially stated the G seemed (slightly) more lively to me in the video.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results