shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help choosing between these Emerald Cut Diamonds

IvanaS

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am currently looking for an emerald cut diamond in the 2.5 ct range for my engagement ring. Reading the thread and advices given here has helped me a lot, and I tried my best to choose the ones that I think met the guidelines. But it would give me great comfort if I can have your opinion on these stones. So far these 4 are my favorite, in the following order :)

Stone 1

Stone 2

Stone 3 (GIA report attached, link to video below)

Stone 4

Stone 5

Also, am being offered this stone by my local jeweler. When I looked at it though, seems like there are some extinction in the middle of the stone (link to video below)? But please do correct me if I'm wrong.

http://view360v.com/Forms/Vision360.html?d=0000780708&v=4&s=10

Thank you so much in advance! Grateful to have found a community like this.

Best,
Ivana

Attachments

• Stone 3.pdf
    917.3 KB · Views: 12

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The straight up and down videos are hard to interpret. Some of these videos start and stop just where you want to see whats going on.
Makes it very difficult. I like to see the black/white "snap" into place and not "slide" in. Here are my thoughts on each stone

Its usually the center that is the key to most Emeralds. The crown and outer facets work really well but its down in the center where they
either pull through with nice flashing facets or die with the facets not doing anything in the center.

1 Not seeing much going on in the center
2 Again, not much going on down in center of the stone
3 Looks like it may be decent
4 Nice, but can probably find better
5 Agree, two steps are dark at the same time causing stone to be too dark face up

So, I guess I would say that 3 and 4 may have potential. Can you get aset images of them? If so, post them here.

IvanaS

Rough_Rock
Hi @tyty333

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge. I have to agree, trying to pick an emerald cut diamond through videos are so frustrating. Unfortunately, in Indonesia, where Bali is :), and where I am right now), EC is unpopular (to say mildly). None of the jeweler here has any EC in stock, in fact most tried to dissuade me from getting one. That said, they would be able source the stone that I like, with the GIA number. Hence my best effort to choose one online :I

Noted on your comment on how they black and white should snap instead of sliding in. I guess I have been looking at it wrong then. When I narrowed down these stones, I have instead avoided the ones that show dark areas all together. Do you mind sharing an example/link of what an ideally cut EC should look like? I guess I'll have to start over with my search.

Thanks again! @tyty333

IvanaS

Rough_Rock
I like this better than the first options you posted, but I'm not an EC expert so I would wait for others to weigh in :)

@lovedogs I think you are just being modest! And any input is greatly appreciated. Makes me feel a little less lost!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really have a hard time judging emerald cuts in videos. @lovedogs gave you good advice. I'll just add that clarity is also tricky in an EC. I usually try to stick to VS1 or above. However, if the VS2 is eye clean, you should be fine. I would try to look for characteristics that are not dark though.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know... who knew choosing a diamond can be so frustrating! Okay, will try to find more options with nice contrast and report back here.

Your other option is to work with a Pricescope recommended vendor. They will vet stones for you, but it would help if you know what your preferences are. Of course, you can always choose your own diamonds, and people here will give you their opinions. I think either way, try to enjoy the experience. I'm sure you'll find a lovely diamond.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! How will you set it!?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations @IvanaS !

Its a pretty stone...nice even steps, Fairly active...maybe a little quiet right down in the center. I think you made a good choice.

With respect to the setting you're looking at...don't set it too high. Its a big stone with a big belly. I personally would have the culet
area of the stone sit close to the top of the shank to keep it from sticking up too high.

Please come back with pictures after you get it or after you propose!

IvanaS

Rough_Rock
Thanks @tyty333 !

I am actually torn between this setting and the 3 stone with tapered baguettes. Do you reckon 1 setting is higher than the other?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @tyty333 !

I am actually torn between this setting and the 3 stone with tapered baguettes. Do you reckon 1 setting is higher than the other?

I think either could be "high" depending on who is making the setting. Once you decide who is making the setting you need to tell them to
not set it too high. That you want it set medium or low.

Very pretty. Congrats on finding your stone. And I almost always vote for 3-stone lol. But I think the solitair setting you picked would look very lovely as well.

IvanaS

Rough_Rock
I think either could be "high" depending on who is making the setting. Once you decide who is making the setting you need to tell them to
not set it too high. That you want it set medium or low.

Hi @tyty333

I got the 1st draft for the setting. Can you tell by looking at the picture whether this is high, medium, or low?

Thank you!

Setting - 1st Draft.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't tell how high the setting would be, but I would seriously reconsider the pave on the "stems" of the head itself. I would go w the hidden halo but remove the pave from the stems.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results