shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED HELP - All suggestions welcome!! New to the site...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bricks25

Rough_Rock

First of all, I just want to say..."what a great site"! Came across it while searching for proposal ideas. And boy, am I glad!!

Anyways, I just purchased the engagement ring this week and will be picking it up on Saturday. It is a 1.05ct, color I, clarity VS1, ideal cut in a platinum "Scott Kay" setting...from Robbins Diamonds in Philadelphia.

I''ll be asking for her father''s blessing sometime in the next two weeks. I''m not really that nervous about it. He is a real nice guy and we have always seen eye to eye. In the past, he has mentioned to the both of us that I do not need to ask for his permission. However, out of respect to both my girlfriend & her father, I have always been set on doing so. As of now, I am just looking for the right moment. My one question in this area is...should I include her mother in the conversation or just talk to her father?

Now for my main issue. I have already made plans to stay at a B&B in Ocean City, NJ the weekend of Presidents Day. We will be arriving on Saturday and returning on Monday. My girlfriend loves the Jersey Shore (particularly OC) and I thought it would be a great idea to pop the question someplace in that vicinity. I just can''t figure out the best time or exact location to pop the question?? I''ve been losing sleep the past few nights thinking about it.

Please Help!!!

caligal

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to PS! And congrats on what sounds like a lovely ring and your upcoming engagement! Is her family very traditional... AKA- Dad wears the pants and Mom is quieter? Or are they more contemporary where both adults have non-traditional roles? If they are old-fashioned I would just talk to Dad, but more modern include both. Now for your proposal... I know where you are thinking as I''ve vacationed out east and been on the Jersey shore. So my question is... when you envision proposing it more elegant or playful? What is your style as a couple? If you wanted something playful and fun I would recommend the boardwalk at the top of the ferris wheel. Or something more elegant- what about dinner at a lovely restaurant or have friends help you have a romantic dinner for two on the beach? You could also build her a sand castle and offer her your "kingdom?" Just thoughts here!

bricks25

Rough_Rock
Caligal --> Thanks for the reply! I would categorize her family as traditional. I was set on just asking her father...however...I thought I would get some advice from the forum.

As for the proposal, I would lean towards more "playful". Even thought our relationship is probably a combination of "elegance" as well...I would definitely lean to the playful side. The only problem with your idea is that this time of year the boardwalk is shutdown for the winter :( Some of the shops & restaurants remain open, but I am pretty sure the rides are closed.

I would appreciate any further thoughts you may have!

Thanks again.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Awww that sucks. I am totally in love with the ferris wheel idea. You can''t walk on the beaches there can you? For some reason I think that they are rocky not sandy? Could you maybe walk on the boarwalk when it is dark and have "will you marry me" written in lights or candles so when she looks out on to the beach she will see that and you can drop on one knee, etc? You might need permission and/or help to do that though. That is all I can come up with
40.gif
Good luck!!

caligal

Shiny_Rock
Darn- didn''t think of that! Since it will be chilly out there- maybe you should nix anything on the beach? What about having a waiter present the desert tray with options.. one of them being a ring box with her name on it??

Waited2Long

Shiny_Rock
That would be so cute!
As far as involving Mom, I think most mothers wouldn''t be offended if you didn''t talk to them at the same time as with the father, and I think the father is more likely to appreciate the man-to-man. I say go ahead and ask her father only, but call her mother the next day and just have a little chat. Just touch bases and let her know she''s important in the process. This is something I terribly regret not doing with my recent engagement. There''s nothing wrong with my relationship with my FMIL--we really get along great--but it would have been a nice touch I think. You are forging very important lifelong relationships, after all.

bricks25

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply''s so far guys...I appreciate your ideas & opinions!

With speaking to her father, I am definitely leaning towards a one-on-one with him and then keeping her mother in the loop.

As for the actual proposal, it''s still up in the air!! I like caligal''s idea of having the waiter bring over the ring on the desert tray. However, when I think about it, I get so nervous envisioning proposing in front of a large group of people. Sounds crazy, huh!!

What do you guys think about planning for our family''s to meet us for dinner the day of the proposal??

Here are the plans so far:

We arrive at the B&B on Saturday at noon. I figured we would just relax in our jacuzzi all day and head to dinner at night...nothing too extravagant so I can keep her off-guard. I''m surprising her with massages for both of us on Sunday morning (Should I work the proposal with the massage...nah). Maybe I will propose at the hotel or on the beach (if it''s nice outside) sometime in the afternoon...and then I was think about having our family''s meet us for dinner as a surprise???

Anyways, these are my set plans up until Sunday...

Let me know what else you guys have to offer...I still have plenty of time to prepare. Thanks.

*BTW - I picked up the ring on Saturday...it''s beautiful. Robbin''s jewler''s in Philadelphia does nice work! Now I have to hold onto it for almost a month...yikes!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results