shape
carat
color
clarity

Need good advice in LA area

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DobasD03

Rough_Rock
Ok, so here is my thing...i need help coming up with a good proposal. I have a few months before i am planning on doing it, so it will be an ongoing project.
First of all, we are both graduate students in Nebraska. That really is problem number 1, because a)neither of us really like it here, and b)there is no where that "special"to go.
The second problem is the fact that we are graduate students, we really have no money, so cost WILL be a part of what i do.
Now, her family lives in S. California, mine in Seattle. So, i am probally planning on going to LA with her for Christmas. So that is a possibilty of a place. She has allready stated that she wants it done privatly (i.e., no scoreboard things at a game, etc....) I have only been to LA twice, and it was a while ago, so i really don''t know the area. My thoughts were to go up to Monterray (sp?). When i was there, i thought it was really nice. any thoughts would be great, and i will answer any questions if you need more info. thanks!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Where in L.A. is her family located?

DobasD03

Rough_Rock
Simi Valley,i guess that is a bit north of LA. Havn't been out there yet to the family's place, so i am not sure of the surroundings

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Monterey is quite a bit north of Simi Valley, it's actually closer to San Francisco.

Simi valley is a little far away from LA, you'll have a bit of a drive. I would actually suggest going a little north to Santa Barbara. It's not too far from Simi Valley, maybe an hour's drive at most. I've lived in Santa Barbara and I currently live in the LA area. Santa Barbara is much more romantic in my book. LA is a big metropolitan area, and Santa Barbara has a more cozy, old-world feel to it. There are plenty of BEAUTIFUL ocean-view cliffs in SB. You could go to State Street and window shop in the little shops or the SB City Hall (one block away from the State Street shopping area) is absolutely beautiful, there's even a private and romatic bell tower overlooking the city/ocean/mountains.

Hmmm, in terms of LA, there are a bunch of great restaurants, but it depends on your budget. You could go to the new Disney Concert Hall (the new Frank Gehry building downtown, looks like the Bilbao museum in Spain that was a big hit, crazy/metallic structure) and catch a performance there before you propose. There is an outdoor deck area to the concert hall that is so romantic and private. Shows for the ticket can be as low as around $20. If you want to splurge, you can even eat at Patina, but beware because reservations are difficult and be prepared to spend approx $200 each.

If it's before September, you could catch a performance at the Hollywood bowl and prepare a picnic as you enjoy the performance. I hear that's totally romantic. Pack a really special dinner, eat it under the stars, while listening to great music. Nice!

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
You might consider Yamashiro. The food is all right but the gardens and view are spectacular.

honeynut

Shiny_Rock
Santa Barbara definitely!!! IT is really natural and beautiful, very cozy. Gorgeous place. You could check out UCSB's campus for a beautiful view, gorgeous cliffs to watch the sunset off of.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/8/2004 8:58:57 PM Superidealist wrote:

You might consider Yamashiro. The food is all right but the gardens and view are spectacular.----------------

That is so funny that you mentioned Yamashiro, I was thinking about that same place but forgot to post it. I have never been there, but I've seen photos and it looks amazing. I've been dying to check it out.

DobasD03

Rough_Rock
OK, that is a great start! Thanks all for the input!
1.gif
I am going to check out the websites you all suggested...i allready looked at Yamashiro...WOW!!! that would be a great place! I assume it is a restaraunt? what is the average price there? dress code? etc...thanks again!

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I think Yamashiro has their menu posted on their website. I don't think there's a particular dress code, show up as you like. Although for your particular occasion it might be nice to dress up a little.

I don't think Yamashiro is terribly expensive, maybe maximum of $50/person?

The views are supposed to be spectacular. Apparently, the building itself is one of the oldest Japanese structures in Los Angeles. I thought I heard that a lot of that building was actually brought over from japan, but I could be mistaken.

DobasD03

Rough_Rock
ok, so it looks like my g/f will for sure be in Simi Valley for the christmas holiday. So, if i am going to do it around christmas, it will be in S. California. So, now the real planning needs to begin. I am really in favor of the Yamashiro idea...but i still am in a loss of how to put it all together. Her folks live in Simi Valley, so i will need a good excuse to take her down to hollywood. I am still open to other ideas around S. Cali., as i have said before, i havn't been there in a long time, and never in the simi valley area. I want to make this the most special day in her life, and i just somehow lack the creative power to put pieces together..any help would be greatly appreicated. Thanks!

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
It would not be unusual to go to Hollywood from Simi Valley. Tons of people make that commute daily to work. Hollywood obviously has things to see and do and plenty of well known restaurants. One great excuse that I can think of for you to get her to go wherever you need to is to simply say that someone told you about _____________ and you want to go/see it. Since you will be esentially a tourist that may work well. If she or her family say, oh I went there it's not nice, then you have a new problem, but you will have learned something too.

You have lots of time so you can think about lots of places too. If anyone in her family is to be in on it that will make getting her to where you want easier. Only do that if you're sure they can keep the secret and I wouldn't tell them until much closer to the date so they don't have to keep the secret so long.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
edited to say: Whoops -- just read that you will be there at Christmas, so I don't think the Hollywood Bowl is performing (i thought that was a great idea, and was going to elaborate). Santa Barbara might be nice -- walk along the beach in sweaters or find another romantic spot with great views along the water.

Monterrey is a good 5-6 hour drive from where you will be. You can find equally nice beach spots in Santa Barbara.

motcs

Rough_Rock
Another idea might be to visit the Getty museum in West LA. It's a beautiful place with amazing architecture and breathtaking gardens and landscaping (oh yeah, there's some art too
9.gif
). It would be a nice day trip for a couple of hours and if you're not adverse to proposing in public, the gardens might be a nice place. Otherwise, if you'd rather do it in private, you can take a nice short drive down to Santa Monica and watch the sunset and dine at Shutters. There should be ample opportunity to propose before, during, or after the meal. Good luck!

fancycoloredfan

Rough_Rock
We have some relatives in LA and I go there all the time.

You should propose to her at the montage hotel in Laguna Beach. it is GORGEOUS.

http://www.montagelagunabeach.com

check out the view

Counsellor

Rough_Rock
How did your proposal in LA turn out? I am asking because, like you, I plan on proposing to my girlfriend in LA, but I have no connection to the place. Did you try Yamashiro? (A friend recommended it to me and a Google search led me to your posting.) Did you decide on somewhere else?

Any information you can provide would be very helpful. Thank you, in advance, for your time.

Regards,
David

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I searched the LA proposal threads and cherry picked ideas from there. It was awesome. Again, thanks to everyone who posted. She loved the proposal. Even remarked how incredibly romantic it was and what a great job I did since I'm normally hopelessly unromantic.

I did the Hollywood Bowl lookout spot on Mulholland thing. Tried to do it at sunset. Got lost and made it up there just after the sun went down. Too dark, but the night view actually is still gorgeous. I proposed there.

Went to Yamashiro's for dinner afterwards. It's like 2 miles away or less. Really close. Again, great view. Food was alright. Good, but not the place's best asset. Kinda Asian Fusion style. Atmosphere is incredibly romantic though. View is great. Try to get a window table though. If you're inside around the koi pond/garden, it's cool looking, but it's not quite as romantic as the side areas IMO. The website is great tho and gives you a pretty good idea of what the place looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results