shape
carat
color
clarity

need English grammar help for invitation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I need some grammar help from all you teachers out there (and I know there are a lot around on this forum).

I found this on the Internet and want to use it on my invite:

Because you have shared in our lives
By your friendship and love, we
invite you to share
in celebrating our marriage

I thought the "by" sounded funny but figured since I saw it several places it should be correct. However, my MIL has got me doubting it again. Her opinion is it should be "With your friendship and love" which actually does sound better to me. Even "Through your friendship and love" sounds plausible.

Anyone know what it''s supposed to be and if "With" would also be grammatically correct?

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I think they''re all grammatically correct. I would pick which ever one you like best!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I think "with" sounds much better....

"By" sounds like it needs an extra word in there... like "by giving"

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Hm, my first thought was "with." But technically "by" and "through" can work too because it''s a weird sentence. I think "by" is the most awkward of the three.

I don''t know the right answer, so when in doubt, I rearrange the clauses of the sentence and figure out what is describing/modifying what.

First try: We invite you to share (implied object) in celebrating our marriage because you have shared (implied object) in our lives with/through/by your friendship and love.

Maybe it helps to insert an object where it is implied.

Second try: We invite you to share (your time) in celebrating our marriage because you have shared (your time), through/with your friendship and love, in our lives.

My picks are "with" or "through."

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 12:40:08 PM
Author:noelwr
Hi, I need some grammar help from all you teachers out there (and I know there are a lot around on this forum).

invite you to share

I thought the 'by' sounded funny but figured since I saw it several places it should be correct. However, my MIL has got me doubting it again. Her opinion is it should be 'With your friendship and love' which actually does sound better to me. Even 'Through your friendship and love' sounds plausible.

Anyone know what it's supposed to be and if 'With' would also be grammatically correct?

i think it needs to be reworded a tad -- something like this :

Because you have shared with us

Your friendship and love,

We invite you join us in celebrating our marriage

ETA : edited the wording

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
You''re right about the "by." "By" really shouldn''t be used that way unless it is followed by a gerund. Otherwise, it means "Next to"

I agree that "through" or "with" would be better choices. OR, just reword it. I like what Ringster came up with.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
I like the original wording, using "with" or "through." The wording in my previous post was just to demonstrate the purpose of the individual clauses. So I think it should be:

"Because you have shared in our
lives with your friendship and love,
we invite you to share in
celebrating our marriage"

I moved the syllables around so that there are 7 syllables per line. But don''t go by me, maybe that''s the wrong way to write a poem.
1.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 2:44:09 PM
Author: ringster

Date: 6/6/2008 12:40:08 PM
Author:noelwr

invite you to share

I thought the ''by'' sounded funny but figured since I saw it several places it should be correct. However, my MIL has got me doubting it again. Her opinion is it should be ''With your friendship and love'' which actually does sound better to me. Even ''Through your friendship and love'' sounds plausible.

Anyone know what it''s supposed to be and if ''With'' would also be grammatically correct?

i think it needs to be reworded a tad -- something like this :

Because you have shared with us

Your friendship and love,

We invite you join us in celebrating our marriage

ETA : edited the wording
I agree with Ringster. To me, this type of wording just always sounds too awkward, but I do like Ringster''s suggestion.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
thanks everyone! I think I''m going to stick to the original wording by substitute "By" with "With"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results