shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Crib Color Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Hey all, long time no post! I needed some help with crib colors and thought I''d come here since there are so many folks on there buying them these days!

So we''re having a boy and we''ve decided what brand of crib we want but I''m at a total loss as to what color to get for a multitude of reasons.

I''m not sure if I''m going to convert it into a toddler bed. We''re planning on having more than one so I was thinking that we could just use the same crib for the next baby (and maybe it will be a girl?). That''s feasible right? I assume people re-use cribs and buy toddler beds for their other children? If that''s the case then I don''t need to buy a boy specific color for the crib then I''m assuming.

So with that in mind I have a selection of three colors, birch/natural, white or walnut. Now the trick here is that walnut would be a full price purchase for me but white or birch I would get a 20% discount. My husband is more partial to the birch but I keep thinking it might look kind of ikea''y and while I like Ikea i''m not sure about it in a crib. But it''s not bad either for a boy. White is super cute but I wonder if it''s too ''white'' if that makes sense.

Oh we''re buying a changing table/dresser too and the color choices are all white with walnut drawers or all white with birch drawers. I''m so super indecisive to say the least!! Here are the three colors, let me know what you think!

Here''s the birch.

birch.jpg

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the Walnut.

walnutps.jpg

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Here''s White.

whiteps.jpg

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Finally, here''s the crib set.

owlsps.jpg

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Birch.

Keep in mind that neither this baby, nor the next sibling will give a flip what color the crib, changing table, or toddler bed are.

Baby furniture and bedding is meant to attract the parents, the kiddos could care less
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think they're all neutral enough for either sex. I'd take into account other furniture, wall color, and accessories before sex of the baby.

We have a boy and his furniture is espresso, but because my husband and I prefer darker wood furniture in general.

Since you'd get a 20 percent discount on birch, and it's what your husband likes, that's probably what I'd go with. I like the birch with the (cute!) bedding you've chosen.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Is white also a good crib color for boys and eventually a toddler bed color?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I like the walnut because I do think the birch does look too Ikea-ish (and then you might as well buy it from Ikea) and the white is a little too white and cheapish looking.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I like the walnut too.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My son and daughter had the same crib, white, and they turned out okay! It''s the colored bedding that stands out anyway. We bought white because I thought it''d be easier to see when it needed cleaning but I like the look of the birch more.

Cute bedding!! And I like the design of the crib. And it might get used more than once, oh my!!!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
hi violet!

I love your options - is that the sparrow crib? I was smitten with the grey version actually, but went with a more economical choice in the end.

We''re having a girl and have opted for a white crib. I think that white would be a fine choice for a little boy as well and would look fantastic with that bedding. But, like ebree said, what color are you thinking about for the walls, etc?

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 5:42:10 PM
Author: lovelylulu
hi violet!

I love your options - is that the sparrow crib? I was smitten with the grey version actually, but went with a more economical choice in the end.

We're having a girl and have opted for a white crib. I think that white would be a fine choice for a little boy as well and would look fantastic with that bedding. But, like ebree said, what color are you thinking about for the walls, etc?

Yes it is the Sparrow crib. I went to a store to check out the grey which was my first choice and it was not great in person at all. It actually looked pretty cheap and painted on. So we nixed that idea.

We are tight on space right now so we only have white walls since we don't have room for a full blown nursery yet. We will move later this year to a bigger place though and at that point we'd be open to whatever color. Light blue maybe? The co. that makes this crib has some other great furniture like toy storage but that only comes in birch/white.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
while i really love the clean look of white furniture lines for baby nurseries and absolutely love when people post images of white nurseries with colored walls, for a boy i felt like white was going to be too 'baby'...if you plan to keep it as a toddler bed. i felt like if we did white furniture for nursery i'd want to switch it out to a more 'whole grain' looking color when he was older. and since i didn't want to spend on cheap white furniture only to use it for like 2 years, we went with a 'rustic honey' color from PB which was not the dark espresso and was not a light color but 'in between'. i saw their model boy rooms in the honey color in the stores and just loved the knotty kind of pine looking feel to this color for a kid.

typically i LOVE espresso in furniture and would have gone this route, most of our furniture in our house is espresso, but like with white, most of the stuff i saw seemed too 'baby' or 'nursery' even if it converted to toddler. i didn't want something 'fancy' for the boy. if we had a girl, i def would have gone a more tailored looking espresso, there are so many options out there.

sooo long story short, in your options, if it's an expensive piece/s of furniture and you want them to last more than 2 years, i'd go with walnut. it's boyish but not too dark and tailored and that crib has really clean lines. i like the birch but yeah if you don't want it to look ikea, then nope.

oh the other thing is that most moms mentioned to me that their boy wrecked or bit their crib esp if they were really active. so your crib may not even make it to later years. it totally may, but just something to mention if it's an expensive piece. our crib came with clear teething guards so hopefully it makes it to toddler, but if not we'll just get a toddler bed from PBK in the same color.

have fun!! i loved shopping even if the choices out there did make my head spin!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
In 10 years you''ll never second-guess your decision to save 20% and get a cheaper colored crib. I say go with the discount and flip a coin on the color.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
See that's the thing... 20% on each piece of furniture is a great discount! Also if we want any other pieces they don't make walnut as a standard main piece color it's just an exclusive at Giggle so if I were to order any other furniture from them later it wouldn't match per se.

Mara - We'd buy those crib gummies to protect the sides from chewing. I read a lot about that being an issue.

Here's the toddler bed in birch, does that look kind of funky for a toddler bed? I was thinking that was why I might want to keep it for the next kid instead and get an actual toddler bed when he's ready to move up.

toddlerbedbirch.jpg

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Like look how cute this toy storage is... and it only comes in birch and white.

toy_store_birch_md.jpg

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
Hi Violet, great taste you have. I have the same bedding for my little one
2.gif
Well, actually I didn''t want to spend the money on the whole set, so I only got the sheets and a stroller blanket, but I''m cheap like that
3.gif

And for what it''s worth, I am getting the Ikea Gulliver crib (see, cheap!) in white. They have a birch option as well, and I guess I don''t have to worry about it looking too Ikea, since it is Ikea, but I just liked the white better. Overall though, I tend to either like white or a dark wood like the walnut, but not so much birch furniture, so I guess that just comes down to personal taste. I think it will also depend on what you plan on doing with the walls - I think if you are planning to paint them a color, the white will look great and not "too white", but if you are leaving them white then the crib will get lost, especially with that bedding.

However, I do think if I was you, I would go with the white or birch to get the 20% discount, especially if you can''t get all the walnut furniture to match. That would drive me nutty!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i''d go with white.

i love the look of an all white furniture baby''s room and would have gone that route myself for our nursery expect that we already have furniture we can use in the baby''s room and it''s a dark walnut. so we got a dark wood crib to go along with the existing dresser, bookcase + nightstand.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I''d go with white...but I am biased
9.gif
(see nurseries thread)

I just love the look of white furniture nurseries....makes them feel clean, fun, crisp, calm and comfortable. Dunno, that''s just how I feel when I go into my babies'' room!. I do think you can get the birch/white furniture pieces if you have a white crib. Love that toy storage!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I also love white for a nursery (mine is also in the nursery thread)...we just have a dark brown color paint and blue and white bedding to make it boyish. I did white furniture with my first son too, but when it was time for a big boy bed we went with a honey color from PBK b/c it felt more boyish. With this crib, I will probably just make it into a guest room bed and get our son a darker wood.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I''d say Birch. My SIL has a Birch nursery set and it looks great. They used the crib with their son until he was almost 3, then put him straight into a big bed, and plan to use the crib set for baby #2 due in a few months.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually if you can''t get all the pieces in walnut then i''d nix it because it will be too hard to ''match'' it to other things. we had that issue with the PBK honey, it was kind of all or nothing PBK then because too hard to match their honey to other colors esp online.

so i''d prob say white then. but for me i wouldn''t be interested in having white furniture for a boy toddler...so maybe if you plan for baby #2 in a few years then you could get the boy real furniture and use the white set for #2.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I''d get the birch

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results