shape
carat
color
clarity

Need computer help..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
A few months back, I actually purchased a new laptop. Everything is going well with one exception: several keys have four characters on them. My computer savvy friends and I have tried accessing the third and fourth characters by using ''ctrl'' and ''alt''. So far, nothing has worked. I should point out that these characters are not needed on a daily basis, but would certainly expand my options.
9.gif

The laptop is an HP model with the Vista O/S . Any ideas??
35.gif

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Check if you have the "Num Lk Scr Lk" key on the upper right hand corner of your laptop (I have a Sony Vaio laptop with an English keyboard and that''s the key that I use to switch back and forth between different characters located in the same key).

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 7:17:54 PM
Author: RubyCharm
Check if you have the ''Num Lk Scr Lk'' key on the upper right hand corner of your laptop (I have a Sony Vaio laptop with an English keyboard and that''s the key that I use to switch back and forth between different characters located in the same key).
Thanks, RubyCharm, but I don''t see either anywhere on the keyboard.

The obvious answer would be to look it up in the Instruction Manual, but it has mysteriously disappeared.
20.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Depending on what brand of laptop you have, sometimes there is a "function" key. It will only say "Fn" on it, and the lettering may be a different color. If some of the keys have icons on them that are the same color as the "fn" key color, you can press Fn + that key. Lots of times these keys will turn on/off your wireless connection, webcam, or put you into sleep mode.

I don't know anything about Vista, though. Only Windows.. And I have an Alienware, which probably no one on PS has, unless they're diamond junkies AND video game junkies, like me
3.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 7:35:47 PM
Author: Feralpenchant
Depending on what brand of laptop you have, sometimes there is a 'function' key. It will only say 'Fn' on it, and the lettering may be a different color. If some of the keys have icons on them that are the same color as the 'fn' key color, you can press Fn + that key. Lots of times these keys will turn on/off your wireless connection, webcam, or put you into sleep mode.
yep
Some also have alt+fn when there is 2 the same color as the function key.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 7:53:50 PM
Author: strmrdr

Depending on what brand of laptop you have, sometimes there is a ''function'' key. It will only say ''Fn'' on it, and the lettering may be a different color. If some of the keys have icons on them that are the same color as the ''fn'' key color, you can press Fn + that key. Lots of times these keys will turn on/off your wireless connection, webcam, or put you into sleep mode.
yep
Thanks so much. I have to leave the computer now, but will try the suggestions and report back.
35.gif

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
hi...what type/model HP is it? I can probably track down the manual for you and let you know...

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 8:00:41 PM
Author: isaku5

Date: 4/18/2009 7:53:50 PM
Author: strmrdr

Depending on what brand of laptop you have, sometimes there is a ''function'' key. It will only say ''Fn'' on it, and the lettering may be a different color. If some of the keys have icons on them that are the same color as the ''fn'' key color, you can press Fn + that key. Lots of times these keys will turn on/off your wireless connection, webcam, or put you into sleep mode.
yep
Thanks so much. I have to leave the computer now, but will try the suggestions and report back.
35.gif
I just tried the fn + character hoping for the third, fourth or fifth one to show and got the one I''d get if I was just typing the lower left character.
Then I tried the alt+fn and got a beep but nothing else.

If all else fails, I can call the local Future Shop where I bought it.

Thank you both for your help.
36.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 8:51:22 PM
Author: aveda6
hi...what type/model HP is it? I can probably track down the manual for you and let you know...
Hi Aveda. It''s an HP laptop with a 17" monitor. It has HP Pavillion dw 9500 on the bottom if that helps.

Don''t go to any trouble until I can talk to the Help Dept. at FS. If they sold it, they should be able to tell me what to do, or find out and let me know.

Lexie

Shiny_Rock
Here is the TouchPad and Keyboard manual for the HP dv9500 series notebooks (with Windows Vista OS).

Hope that helps!
2.gif

Lexie

Shiny_Rock
Hm.. out of curiosity, does your HP happen to have a Japanese keyboard?
33.gif

I''ve been looking at pictures of the dv9500 notebooks, and that particular model is the only one that has some keys with three/four characters.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Lexie, you are a doll
36.gif
. Thanks so much for your help.

No, no Japanese keyboard on this particular one...I have an oddball, perhaps. That''s okay, my mother sometimes said I was, so maybe...
9.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Looks like the HP manual told you do pretty much what me and storm said, haha.

Hope you figure it out.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 4:27:53 PM
Looks like the HP manual told you do pretty much what me and storm said, haha.

Hope you figure it out.
I know
4.gif
. I spent so much time looking for ''hidden gems'' in there that I didn''t have time to call FS today.

Tomorrow, I''m planning to take the laptop down to them and watch their reaction
9.gif
. I''m wicked, I know, but when so many computer experts, much smarter than I, can''t figure it out, a girl has to resort to extreme measures.
14.gif

Maybe, I''m just dyslexic in Japanese?
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results