shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED BIG HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

StevOX12

Rough_Rock
Hi, doesn any one know how to take picture of Jewelery???? Like Diamonds and Gold?. What i mean is i need to take pictures of Rings on Pure White background and it always comes on Kinda dark you can still see the while board its not pure white.... please any suggestions or techniqes???? Please HELP
Thnaks in advance.

StevOX12

Rough_Rock
Any one ? anything????

Turtle

Rough_Rock
I'm not a photography expert but what you're experiencing is an underexposure due to the white background. Camera's are designed such that it assumes everything it looks at is 18% grey (don't ask why). So, when you're looking at something extremely white, like snow, the camera changes the aperature and length of time the aperature is open so that the white background comes out looking grey. Camera's are very smart but can't determine the proper exposure all of the time.

Here's how to fix it:

1) Change the background to something other than white. Blue would be good.

-or-

2) If you're going to take a lot of pictures, buy a grey card from your local camera store. When you're ready to take pictures of your jewelry, place the grey card in the same lighting that you're going to take your picture (at the same angle if you can), point the camera at the grey card filling the entire frame with the grey card, press the EXPOSURE LOCK button on your camera (a lot of point-and-shoots have this button), hold the button and re-position your camera to view the jewelry. When your happy with your framing, press the shutter button.

2a) If you don't want to buy a grey card, the back of your hand or a brown paper bag can be used as a grey card.

Hope the helps. Let me know how it works out!!

Turtle

Rough_Rock
If your camera doesn't have an Exposure Lock button, there may still be a way to overcome your underexposure. Find an object that is similar in color to a grey card. I'd tell you to use a grey card for this but a lot of cameras have trouble focusing on a flat board with even color. Place the object the same distance from the camera as the jewelry. Point your camera at the object and press the shutter down half way. Recompose on the jewelry and without lifting your finger, press down the button the rest of the way.

Most exposure and focusing systems in cameras are activated by depressing the shutter halfway but not taking the photo. This should work for you if you don't have or can't find your Exposure Lock button.

Happy picture taking!!!
9.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results