shape
carat
color
clarity

need an opinion on this

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stegus

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone just wondering if you could give me an opinion on this diamond, since I'm quite new to this and hopefully only have to get engaged once :)

I'm kind of concerned with the strong flourescence, and how it may have affected the colour of this diamond, could this diamond really be closer to H? Is this price good? Any opinions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Sasha

price: 4456 US
shape: round
weight: 1.01
clarity: SI1
colour: G
dimensions: 6.38 x 6.43 x 3.99
table: 59.5%
pavillion: 45.1%
crown ht: 13.3
girdle: slightly thick 3.1%
flourescence: STRONG
culet: pointed
cut: GOOD
proportions GOOD
symmetry: Very Good
finish grade: very good

stegus

Rough_Rock
I'm assuming blue..but I guess that's something I shouldn't assume. The actual certificate is from a gemmologist in the Toronto area (company called Gemmologist inc.) could be more of an appraiser. Although, did get a sarin colour rating with the other specs.

I will find out the actual fluorescence colour, but what do you think of this diamond assuming it's blue.

stegus

Rough_Rock
Just wondering though, is the price too high for this diamond that is rated as a 'good cut'?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stegus there are many factors to account for when buying a diamond.
Do you like the people? Do they have a quality reliable type reputation?

You can do a price search yourself and make your own judgements on the factors we do not know.
What we do know is that the stone is neither great nor cheap if it is an internet purchase, but it is probably a great deal in a B&M store.

We can only help you to a point, and with an unrecognised cert and without a lot more to go on it is pretty dark around here :(

stegus

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. anyway, I do have a couple of other stones I'm looking at, the funny thing is is that these are supposedly 'wholesale' prices...I'll keep looking.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Would you expect a wholesaler to sell to you at the same price as to a retailer?

1. His retailers would never buy from him again.
2. He can go 1/2 way between retail and wholesale and make more money.
3. It is a great opportunity for a wholesaler to unload some old stock that retailers would know better than to buy.

The guy would need to be pretty dumb to sell to a consumer at wholesale.

And what is wholesale anyway? Wholesale to Zales is cheaper than wholesale to ma and Pa who buy $100k a year.

Sorry, but I could smell a rat in the scant info that you posted - should have picked it up first time around :)

Happy hunting S

stegus

Rough_Rock
That's wierd, because the diamond seller isn't selling directly to me. A jeweler friend just picked up some stones and is letting me make the decisions. Most prices for this type of stone are in this range (have been given a few other prices in this range from other sellers).

The other thing about being here in Toronto, Canada, is that the main source for grading is usually done through GemScan...which are usually pretty skimpy on the details of the diamonds cut (just get the grading no specs).

Would this diamond be considered really a medium-good cut?

Do I have to start looking at very good - excellent cuts? Or are there 'better' good cuts?

stegus

Rough_Rock
how would this change things(about being in the dark)? Did some research and the appraiser is part of the Canadian Jewellers Association Accredited Appraiser Program and is an Accredited Member..must have completed the following to join.

-complete requirements listed above for Associate Membership
-have a minimum of three Diamond Grading Master certified by GIA, AGS or HRD
-have completed the ISA Canadian Core courses or Anna Miller’s Master Valuer program, or, --write a practical/theory exam targeted at long-established industry professionals performing appraisals and who meet all of the above requirements
-display the signed Code of Ethics at place of appraising business
-pass the required Jewellery Appraisal Guidelines exam
-agree to present the names of Accredited Appraisers to the Coalition Against Insurance Fraud
-membership fee of $250 payable each year

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you should order an Ideal-scope Stegus.
www.ideal-scope.com

This image is what you will see through it for that diamond.

There are some appraisers who have learned the new developments in diamond cut, but not all. I train them down here in Aussie land and there are some shockers in my class who have better qualificatons than you mentioned.

StegusScrap.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results