shape
carat
color
clarity

need advise: Simple setting first ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jtpindc

Rough_Rock
I'm close to buying my first round brilliant 1 ct H color to propose to my GF who's rather petite(5'0) and not flashy nor picky.

should I go with white gold or other temporary setting and let her choose a permanent setting she would like,
or should I go ahead and get a classic platinum solitaire that I think she would look good in?

in addition, is there enough variety of wedding bands out there to match a simple solitaire which would satify most consumers? just don't want to limit her if I get a simple thin platinum setting.

sorry if this is confusing but I'm confused myself

thanks for any advice

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don''t have a really good idea of what she wants, I''d buy a cheap simple setting. She can change it later and it could be a fun thing for the two of you to buy together.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you are unlimited in wedding bands when trying to match with a plain solitaire.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
can''t go wrong with a plain platinum solitaire

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No you can''t go wrong with a plain platinum solitaire - Classic Tiffany style is much loved and appreciated.

However, if you''re unsure what setting your girlfriend will like, some are psychologically adverse to seeing an ''ugly'' setting even if it''s a temporary and want their first initial impression to be the one that lasts. Some are more practical. It is up to you to try to suss out (either by asking her or other parties) what she wants.

Another safe way is to purchase the diamond (or even do this step together) and then ask her if she would be interested in ''ring shopping'' or choosing the ring setting.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Many times a jeweler will have a "presentation ring setting" that you can present at the proposal and trade it back in toward her choice of ring when you go in later together. Basically your diamond in a very minimalist white ring kind of thing. Ask about it.

jtpindc

Rough_Rock
this is going to be a surprise so asking her or her friends is probably not an option for me

that 'presentation setting' is a good idea if a jeweler around the northern virginia area offers that,

most places I've called offers no refund or exchanges toward the setting since they can't use it again
20.gif

Thanks for all the advice, you guys/gals are the best...

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
This is opposite of most ppl''s advice, but I''d say go ahead and pick a classic plat solitaire. Since you said she is NOT picky, I think this is what I would do. It doesn''t make sense to spend $100-$200 on a white gold setting, only to turn around and buy something similar in plat in a few weeks. I would hate to see you waste any money. The temp setting strategy makes a lot of sense for a woman who is more picky or wants more of a say in what she will wear, or if he has in mind something that he is not sure she will like (3 stone, antique, ultra modern, pave, etc.)

Not sure what you wanted to spend on the setting, but SuperbCert makes an awesome tiffany replica. I also like a lot of the solitaire settings by Vatche (I have the X prong). These are all about $1200 I think. A simple 4 or 6 prong tiffany style or a thin cathedral is another look that is liked by most people, and a little less expensive! Pearlman''s is a great place to browse online for settings. Also, even though Blue Nile won''t sell their settings alone, I think it is a great place to look for photos and get ideas.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My brother-in-law just bought the basic Tiffany style platinum solitaire which will allow his wife to have her choice of wedding or anniversary bands. But if you have any doubt about platinum being her choice of metals, I''d go with the $150 14k white gold temporary setting. All jewelers carry these, and in fact, I am sure these settings are often used for the permanent setting. We are just more picky here than the average person!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results