shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice with selling diamond necklace

Matrixspace

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I need advice on selling a diamond necklace, it's 35 year old European necklace but still looks very nice, the maker traveled to Ceylon to get flawless sapphires. My question is what is the best to sell this?, and would it be be better to sell it piece by piece since it's so old or not?, would putting it in an auction get a fair amount? I would greatly appreciate any help and advice, thanks.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd contact Jewels by Erica Grace and see if they'd be interested in consigning it. They are terrific to work with and would be able to answer your questions as to selling the piece whole or in pieces. Would love to see a photo of the necklace!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Age does not, by it self, increase the value and, as an old guy I have to say, 35 years isn't all that old. That said, whether or not your piece has any resale value depends on the details of the piece. Sapphires are difficult to sell in general and fashion is a huge component in these things. Start with an appraisal and ask these questions of your appraiser. Make sure they know that you're asking about how go about selling it. Most appraisals are about what it would take to replace it, which is a completely different issue and if you aren't clear you just might get the right answer to the wrong question.

Matrixspace

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice, I took a photo of the necklace and earrings, you can view them here:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23889783

I'm taking it to few jewelers and wholesalers tomorrow, what would be a fair price for me to sell this?

a Jewelry expert gave a detailed description of the earrings a few years back, here is his description
:

One pair 18KT yellow gold lady's hand assembled earrings with omega clip post backs with a bright polish finish. Dangle design (63.0 x 11.7mm). Containing:

Two bezel set oval cabochon cut natural sapphire, measuring 12.00 x 9.80 x 4.88mm, approximate total weight of 12.40ct., clarity is I-3, type 2, very dark, moderately strong, blue color, (GIA B 8/4), cut is good.

Two bezel set oval cabochon cut natural sapphire, measuring 9.20 x 7.40 x 3.86mm, approximate total weight of 5.68ct., clarity is I-3, type 2, very dark, moderately strong, blue color, (GIA B 8/4), cut is good.

Forty-Six pave' set round brilliant cut diamonds, measuring 2.50 - 2.00 x 1.35mm (depth est.), 6.00% GTCF approximate total weight of 46 Stones = 2.03ct.. Eighteen are bezel set.

Clarity VS-2 to SI-2
Color G - H
Cut Fair

Ten prong set square cut diamonds, measuring 3.27 x 2.65 x 1.64mm (depth est.) approximate total weight of 10 Stones = 1.14ct. One diamond is chipped.

Clarity VS-1 to VS-2
Color G - H
Cut Good

Total Weight of Colored Stones 18.08ct.
Total Weight of Diamonds 3.16ct.
Total weight of earrings 21.40 gm

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oy. Those are gorgeous from that distance. Whether it stands up to scrutiny though... the stats say that some of the diamonds are included and that the cut quality on them is Fair -- which in diamond terms means poor.

I would start with getting them appraised. To get the best price you can for them you need to lower the seller's risk. A good appraisal can do that.

Neil Beaty who replied in this thread is a great appraiser I've sent my engagement ring to. He can tell you what your pieces would be worth... so you have a starting point.

Then once you have that... you can start looking at smart places to sell them. I would think a high end antique jewelry store like Lang's Antiques would be a good place, if they will consign with you.

Matrixspace

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1315980101|3017135 said:
Oy. Those are gorgeous from that distance. Whether it stands up to scrutiny though... the stats say that some of the diamonds are included and that the cut quality on them is Fair -- which in diamond terms means poor.

I would start with getting them appraised. To get the best price you can for them you need to lower the seller's risk. A good appraisal can do that.

Neil Beaty who replied in this thread is a great appraiser I've sent my engagement ring to. He can tell you what your pieces would be worth... so you have a starting point.

Then once you have that... you can start looking at smart places to sell them. I would think a high end antique jewelry store like Lang's Antiques would be a good place, if they will consign with you.

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are welcome. You need someone who is able to hold the pieces in their hands and scrutinize them... someone that you pay so they are YOUR advocate. An independent appraiser one who doesn't work for a store and has no allegiance to anyone but you and doesn't stand to benefit by overstating or understating the value of your pieces is your best bet.

I would not take them to the jeweler until you have that appraisal paper in hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results