shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on RB & tapered baguette setting ~$12k budget

Lethal

Rough_Rock
I have lurked on this website for a while now and am finally ready to decide on a ring. Ideally I was trying to keep the budget to around $12k, but right now what I have selected is a bit over that. I have this diamond on hold at Whiteflash, but wanted to run it across here before pulling the trigger.

1.336 I VS2 ACA
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3260763.htm

My gf doesn't know much about diamonds, but wants a classic tapered baguette setting with a RB. We looked at diamonds in person and she does not seem to be too color sensitive and seems to want bigger size over everything else. I have been looking for something eye clean, ideal cut, H-J, and something around 1.25-1.5 ct for the center stone.

This Vatche 309 setting is a bit more than I was looking to spend on the setting, but it is what I have found that I like the best so far. They offer the same setting with multiple sized baguettes ranging from .30-.50 ctw. The pricing in platinum is $3,725 for the .30 ctw, $3,880 for the .40-.45 ctw, & $4,219 for the .50 ctw. I was thinking of going with the .40-.45 ctw version in platinum. I have heard Vatche is very good quality, but I am concerned I may be spending too much on the setting and there could be similar style settings for less than this designer setting and more could go towards the diamond. Thoughts or any other suggestions on the setting? The 4-5 options given from WF without going custom were either similar in price or we did not like any that were listed on their website that cost a bit less.

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Designs-By-Vatche-Classic-2-Tapered-Baguette-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-309-272472.html

Thoughts on the Vatche setting and which size baguettes to go with the 1.336 ct CS? Without pictures of the different sized baguettes with similar sized center stones I have found it difficult trying to determine which size baguettes would look best and proportional with the center stone. We did not want the baguettes to be too big or overpower the CS.

I would love to get some thoughts on the diamond I selected or suggestions on other stones that would fit in my budget. Alternative diamonds I was looking at that are available at WF:

I could save a little money with this & be closer to the $12k budget - 1.312 ct J VS2
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3488748.htm

or go the opposite direction and spend a little more to go up a good amount in size to a 1.575 I SI1 that is labeled eye clean:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3137127.htm

I was told with this Vatche setting it would not work to swap the center stone to something larger in the future because of how it is set so I would get half the price of the setting back if we decided to upgrade. So I would be fine with going a bit over the budget if there is something that is substantially better quality or bigger in size for not too much more since it might avoid or delay having to pay for another setting.

I was hoping to get some thoughts on my selections and get feedback before pulling the trigger. Thank you!

craiguk

Rough_Rock
Re: Need advice on RB & tapered baguette setting ~$12k budge

Have you seen I and J colored stones in person? You mention looking for H - J but I think you need to decide whether you actually want H, I or J as in my experience looking for a range of colors didn't help my search.

You could certainly drop to an SI1 if you're happy that the stone is eye-clean. Whiteflash advised me to go for an SI1 stone over a VS2 as the SI1 was very eye-clean (as in even from 5 to 6 inches away and not 10 inches which is the norm).

You could drop below 1.3 ct to get a whiter stone. There's plenty of options...such as this... http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3565132.htm.. Only approx. 0.2mm difference to the 1.336 I you mentioned.

Once you're set on a few stones ask them to do a side-by-side video for you.

Lethal

Rough_Rock

craiguk|1443599614|3933403 said:
Have you seen I and J colored stones in person? You mention looking for H - J but I think you need to decide whether you actually want H, I or J as in my experience looking for a range of colors didn't help my search.

Yes, we looked in person at stones ranging from E to J. Most were smaller or much smaller than what we were wanting, but I had them bring out several stones side by side from G to J and side by side with a white background and at least in the store lighting could not tell enough of a difference to justify the price increase so I figured I would stay around I or J to get a bigger stone. It seems like there are a lot of people on here with well cut I & J's that look very white and they are happy with. If it is too warm then there is a 30 return period.

Lethal

Rough_Rock

Any other opinions on the 1.336 ct diamond that is reserved at WF? Hoping to make a decision soon

craiguk

Rough_Rock

I just looked at the video and it looks stunning. Also looks very white too in that clip. I don't think there's really much to add. It looks incredible, it's eye clean (I couldn't see any trace of inclusions) and it's an ACA. That alone takes away the majority of the risk.

If you're happy with the specs and the price I can't see any reason not to go for it =) Have you asked whiteflash for their opinion or an appraisal? They're very honest.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would not go below I color. I like the 1.3 I VS2 and would only consider the 1.5 if she really favors larger size over cut quality. Both will look nice, but I like the 1.3 better, personally.

I assume you are getting the quotes on the Vatche setting from Whiteflash, right?

I would ask Whiteflash to price making one custom for you. I would think it would be less than the Vatche, although I have always loved that particular Vatche setting. I believe Vatche will know the proper size sides depending on your center stone size.

Lethal

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1443645251|3933564 said:
I would not go below I color. I like the 1.3 I VS2 and would only consider the 1.5 if she really favors larger size over cut quality. Both will look nice, but I like the 1.3 better, personally.

I assume you are getting the quotes on the Vatche setting from Whiteflash, right?

I would ask Whiteflash to price making one custom for you. I would think it would be less than the Vatche, although I have always loved that particular Vatche setting. I believe Vatche will know the proper size sides depending on your center stone size.

Yes, I went thru WF for the .40-.45 Vatche setting & ended up going with the 1.336 I VS2. I asked about going custom and sent some examples of settings we liked, but the rep said it would likely end up still being $3k or more and take longer so decided to go with the Vatche. The rep sent some tapered baguette settings not on the WF website including one that I believe was a custom or non-designer ring, but those were still over $3k with smaller .30 ctw baguettes and it did not look at good as the Vatche.

I will update this thread when I receive the ring if anyone is interested in seeing the final product. Thank you everyone for the comments!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Awesome! I really love the Vatche setting with side baguettes. I have a solitaire Vatche setting and it is very nice quality! I think you made great choices!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results