shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on larger uncut diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trailboss

Rough_Rock
I have a 14.5 carat rough shaped (bruted) diamond. It has a 13mm diameter round girdle and a polished table. There are no visible defects at 10x. I like the looks of the H&A cut, but don't know if it is available for a stone like this one. Any advice on who could cut such a stone and on what dimensions (angles) I should ask for?

Any help will be appreciated...

trailboss

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/26/2002 1:14:25 AM

I have a 14.5 carat rough shaped (bruted) diamond. It has a 13mm diameter round girdle and a polished table. There are no visible defects at 10x. I like the looks of the H&A cut, but don't know if it is available for a stone like this one. Any advice on who could cut such a stone and on what dimensions (angles) I should ask for?

Any help will be appreciated...

trailboss
----------------

Well, it sounds like that diamond could possibly be made into a very important diamond by being cut into an EightStar. Check out this thread by Greentree and I'm sure that if you send him an email, he will be happy to share his experience with you. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-would-you-do.1756/

Good luck :))

Greentree

Rough_Rock
I went with EightStar and the results were excellent. Drop an e-mail to [email protected]. Describe your stone as completely as you can and tell him what you have in mind. He ordinarily answers his e-mails within 24 hours.

You can read my story at:
http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16850

trailboss

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lawmax,
For the info on EightStar. I went to their site and was totally impressed by what I saw. Excellent quality! I filled out their form and gave some details of my rock to get the ball rolling. Can't wait to hear back from them to see if mine will qualify for the cut. I suspect that it will drop some serious weight in the process (I'm guessing final weight 8-9 carats) but the quality should be outstanding.

Brian,

I visited your site and was also impressed. It sure seems as though you have your act together. Do you cut any Emerald roughs? I have an old mine stone that is also flawless at 10x and weighs 21 carats. It is bruted as an emerald shape.

Greentree,

That stone rocks :loopy:

It is beautiful!!! Wow, can't imagine the look on her face when you presented it :twirl: I like a happy ending.

You made a great choice in going with EightStar.

trailboss:))

trailboss

Rough_Rock
Lawmax,

What type of cut would you recommend for a 21 carat emerald rough cut stone? Is there a known premium cut that can be applied?

trailboss

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/26/2002 3:15:45 PM

Lawmax,

What type of cut would you recommend for a 21 carat emerald rough cut stone? Is there a known premium cut that can be applied?

trailboss
----------------

I really have little knowledge about recutting emerald cuts. Hopefully, someone with experience in this area will come along. There are branded emerald-shaped cuts, but I don't know if those cutters do recuts for consumers. You can check out the AGA cut grading by David Atlas,

http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt3.htm

but he offered recut advice in a recent thread here that may apply to a certain extent:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/have-a-stone-cut-to-order.2234/

I think you may want to check out the variety of fancy square and emerald shaped cuts out there, see what you like, and see if the cutters will help you. Perhaps Dave Atlas can guide you in this regard. I believe he posted recently that he will be out of his office for a few days (he posts here as oldminer), but you can ask him when he returns.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

:))

trailboss

Rough_Rock
On the two stones that I mention in this thread, the cuts would both be from a bruted state to faceted. Neither has been final cut, only shaped and this work was probably done sometime prior to 1930 :)

It's hard to imagine the stones sitting for all that time with no one putting a final finish on them:tongue:

trailboss

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/26/2002 3:48:52 PM

On the two stones that I mention in this thread, the cuts would both be from a bruted state to faceted. Neither has been final cut, only shaped and this work was probably done sometime prior to 1930 :)

It's hard to imagine the stones sitting for all that time with no one putting a final finish on them:tongue:

trailboss
----------------

It *is* hard to imagine. How did you come to acquire these stones? The idea of cutting them into extrememly beautiful diamonds is very exciting! :))

trailboss

Rough_Rock
You know that old rockhound habit of trading a $10,000 dog for two $5,000 cats ;)) I've always been intrigued by old mine stones and also look forward to seeing a couple of beautiful diamonds :appl:

I don't see too many in my searches that come back as large and as clean as these appear to be. Should be interesting.

trail

BrianTheCutter

Shiny_Rock
Here is something we can do for you. We have been involved in developing a new and unique rectangular modified brilliant cut The "Spring Cut" .The Facet structure was crated to optimize the fire and brilliance and limit the amount of light leakage.

in early August

Your 21 ct could be the largest Spring Cut to be cut! Now that’s unique! :)

Should you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

:)[/u]

spring2.jpg

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/26/2002 6:05:30 PM

Here is something we can do for you. We have been involved in developing a new and unique rectangular modified brilliant cut The "Spring Cut" .The Facet structure was crated to optimize the fire and brilliance and limit the amount of light leakage.

in early August

Your 21 ct could be the largest Spring Cut to be cut! Now that’s unique! :)

Should you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

:)
----------------

Interesting cut Brian. What does it look like under the ideal-scope?
[/u]

trailboss

Rough_Rock
Gentlemen and Ladies,

I'm just an old rockhound looking for some advice. What I didn't expect is a lot of nasty stuff going back and forth. I had pretty much made up my mind early on in this thread to send one stone to EightStar and the other to AlphaDiamonds, but have changed my mind. I can see the need to get a whole lot better educated about having the rocks cut before I move ahead.

It seems there are a whole lot of people who have personal and emotional investments in one brand or the other. This hardly makes for comforting advice to an old rock guy like me. Heck, I might just keep the stones as they are, they don't look all that bad.

trailboss

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Trailboss,

Thank you for giving us a very good lesson! As a moderator of this forum I'm trying to avoid non friendly arguments.

Actually, Lawmax and Garry are friends but as you noticed there were quite a bit of emotions involved :)

By my request they both agree to remove their posts earlier in the morning.

Peace :)

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry about the misunderstandings here. Just look with your eyes and learn about cutting methods to see what works for you and what is important to you. We are simply expressing our preferences. Clearly you have to decide what is pleasing to you and where your priorities lie.

Cut Nut and I are friends and have worked it all out in private communications. :) Misunderstandings are common in forum posts as these forums are not the ideal method of communication. Sometimes we take things a bit too personally. We're just humans and sensitive souls.

Good luck to you and may you find your own preferences and pleasures.

:))

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/27/2002 10:09:07 AM

as you noticed there were quite a bit of emotions involved :)

----------------

I must have not read those posts. The only emotion here is one of amazement. I had absolutely no idea people collected such rocks and were able to have them cut! ....and I'm an Art & Antique dealer! WOW. How do you acquire such stones and how much does it cost to cut such stone - ball park is fine - I don't know if you are talking 1k's 10k's or 100k's

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Trail boss,

Yup Lawmx and I met through Pricescope and even though we live on opposite sides of the world we have really met too. We have been freinds for at least a couple of years, and this is our first altercation. If I had have bothered to type a few more words as to why I gave the advice I did, L would have seen where I was coming from, but hey - it is no big deal as far as your decision is concerned.

Either cutter is fantastic, and the early deecision you made makes lots of sense.

But as the last post asks, how do you happen by some preformed rough diamonds? That is not real common?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results