shape
carat
color
clarity

need advice on how to sell a watch

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need some advice on where to sell a Rolex, I am unfamiliar with selling a watch or anything for that matter with this kind of value, I want somewhere safe and easy. My son is buying a business and he has hit some unexpected expenses and will need cash fairly quickly, I offered to loan him the money however he absolutely refuses to take it from us, he wants to do this all on his own, while I am very proud of him, I am also very sad for him, he love his watch but he also knows that on the secondary market the value of the watch has sky rocketed, so he may have to sell it to generate the income he needs. I know some on you on here would have experience with selling higher end pieces of jewelry and would know the safest way to go about doing this, so any advice anyone can give I would appreciate it, thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not used Chrono24. But some people have mentioned it to me, as being reputable.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not used Chrono24. But some people have mentioned it to me, as being reputable.

thank you I will pass this on to him, it does look promising and he may well be aware of it, I just looked at the site and I think this is something like he needs to help protect him and the buyer

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you I will pass this on to him, it does look promising and he may well be aware of it, I just looked at the site and I think this is something like he needs to help protect him and the buyer

I've no idea how it works. I've just been told that it's good. I do notice that there's range of prices quoted on there for each different brand and model; so that at least would give your son an idea of what he may be able to fetch.

Another idea might be for your son to bring the watch to the different dealers/ resellers where he lives and see what they quote him for.

He needs to really look around. Some people would for sure low-ball him.

Good luck to your son selling his watch.

Last edited:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've no idea how it works. I've just been told that it's good. I do notice that there's range of prices quoted on there for each different brand and model; so that at least would give your son an idea of what he may be able to fetch.

Another idea might be for your son to bring the watch to the different dealers/ resellers where he lives and see what they quote him for.

He needs to really look around. Some people would for sure low-ball him.

Good luck to your son selling his watch.

yeah he is aware of what it is worth he belongs to rolex watch forums and a group on facebook and I will say one thing he may only be 24 years old but he is one smart young man! but I think his going to look at all his options which is why I started the thread to let him know of some other options in case he wasnt aware of one...but I am not giving up either the easiest way for him to get the cash he needs is from me, he is being most stubborn about that but I have to keep trying.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not used Chrono24 to buy or sell watches, however, I have heard good things about it.

I am eyeing a new/unworn watch on that site, and hope it will still be available when I have the funds to purchase it.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah he is aware of what it is worth he belongs to rolex watch forums and a group on facebook and I will say one thing he may only be 24 years old but he is one smart young man! but I think his going to look at all his options which is why I started the thread to let him know of some other options in case he wasnt aware of one...but I am not giving up either the easiest way for him to get the cash he needs is from me, he is being most stubborn about that but I have to keep trying.

Don't let on that he needs a quick sell, otherwise people would go in with a low offer in the hope he would accept.

I am hopeless in negotiation, and when I listed a few jewellery items for sale in the past, I would set a minimum price that I would accept, based on what I believe an item is worth.

Good luck for him.

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
I believe the main Rolex forum online has an active buying/selling section. They seem very knowledgeable! Wishing your son good luck with selling his watch.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you everyone I do appreciate your responses!!! I think we figured out a way to not sell it yet...I really hope he doesn't heck I like that watch lol!!!

Would you be able to buy it off him, as it would not be a loan then?

You can then give it back to him as a present at a later date.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Times Square + trench coat?

European Watch Company in Boston buys and sells a lot and can do repairs -- I think they buy from randos. He would take more of a haircut there than selling as a one-off on the forums above -- but I would think they would be reputable. (Spouse bought from them once a few years back.) This is beyond the eBay realm as the value exceeds the limit for someone with low sales volume and he will get scammed.

EDIT: Getting a funny feeling about this transaction so will add: not a pawn shop.

Last edited:

seafarm

Shiny_Rock
I was also going to suggest you could purchase it from him, then when he is in a better financial situation he could ‘buy’ it back.

May I also add what a wonderful young man you have raised. Congratulations. Too many of that age would not hesitate to take the money…..possibly with no intention to repay!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look up happy jewelers in Fullerton, CA. They have an Instagram account. They specialize in high end watches.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results