shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on fitting stones in settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
My first gemstone purchase was an 8.13 X 6.11 oval. I figured 8X6 was the best setting for it, but have since learned it wasn''t. The first jeweler refused to set it, the second did a pretty terrible job, and the third did a better job, but the stone STILL sits crooked in the setting. It looks better now, but is still tilted enough to bother me a little. Unfortunately I can''t afford to have Whiteflash make all of my fun rings, so the cheapy settings will have to do.

My main question is, if I were to get a smaller oval for this same setting, would someone be able to set it better? Also, if I were to get a larger setting for this oval, what size setting would I go with--- WITHOUT having to go custom?? I''m not even sure I''ll ever do this, but for future stone and setting purchases, I''d like to know if the crookedness is all because the stone is slightly over-sized. Has anyone else had this same problem? Any input is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks
1.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An 8x6mm setting should have been ok but there''s always the risk with a gemstone that''s not calibrated. Do you have pictures? Is the gemstone slightly bulged underneath to one side?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
By all logical reasoning, that stone SHOULD have fit in the 8x6 mm setting. Have you had the jewelers you''re working with measure the setting itself? Maybe it was off slightly?

Either way, I always tend to go at least .4mm smaller than the setting calls for - both my Mozambique and Malaya are .4ish mm smaller than the setting will hold.

My OEC is a 5.52mm stone, set in the LOGR split shank for a 6 mm stone.

Hope that gives you kind of a guideline of where to go from here . . .

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I do have some pics. I have plenty from the frist time it was set, and am working on getting the new ones posted. The stone was cut pretty nicely I thought, it didn''t look lop-sided or anything. I''ll post some pics.

Here is from the first time it was set.

cr3ab.JPG

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 3:35:58 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
By all logical reasoning, that stone SHOULD have fit in the 8x6 mm setting. Have you had the jewelers you''re working with measure the setting itself? Maybe it was off slightly?

Either way, I always tend to go at least .4mm smaller than the setting calls for - both my Mozambique and Malaya are .4ish mm smaller than the setting will hold.

My OEC is a 5.52mm stone, set in the LOGR split shank for a 6 mm stone.

Hope that gives you kind of a guideline of where to go from here . . .
That is great information, Lauren! Thank you for posting that!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelli it''s difficult to see from that photo if it''s the setting or stone that''s lopsided. You mentioned the stone is tilted - do you mean to one side or to one end? Perhaps a profile photo might help?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another. Notice how the right side is up higher than the left. I don''t really have time to get my new pics up right now, but they basicaly look the same, just set lower down. The tilt is still there. I''m just wondering how, if possible at all, to make it right.

pf083ab.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another. For some reason it doesn''t look as obvious in this one, but you can see it a little. When I get home from work tonight I can post the new ones.

pf081a.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
That one was taken from the other side, so the left side is higher in that one.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelli I honestly can''t tell from that photo because the angle of the ring is tilted as well. However I''ve just found your original thread and had a look at all the pictures again. The garnet looks the right size for the setting (although i''m not an expert) but the diamonds look equally spaced around the central gemstone and you can''t see any of the metal from the head to either side of the garnet. If it were too big/too small you''d notice those points.

The only thing that I can see (and you mentioned this before) is the upper right hand claw is not aligned. I wonder if it''s therefore holding your gemstone slightly higher or it''s giving the illusion of being tilted?

I''m sure some of the PS resident experts will be along to help soon.

fu2.JPG
036hand.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry we were posting at the same time. The last photo you've posted looks like the left hand claw is longer than the right hand one. It also looks like it leans more to the side than the right hand one. Also, can you see the groove in the right hand claw - it looks lower than the left although that could be the photo? I think the problem with your setting is the claws not the rest of the setting.

HTH

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks:) I''m really pushing my luck with getting to work on time but here are a few of the new ones.

521a.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
one more

526a.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
another

527a.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
last one for now- REALLY gotta go! be back later. THANKS
1.gif

524ab.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kelli, hun. You need to bring that lovely stone on a roadtrip to Dallas, TX to have my jeweler set it. It just looks again to have been set incorrectly.

It usually costs me about $50 - $70 depending on what I want (polishing out the basket, finely pointed prongs, rhodium) and I think he has always been able to set a stone, and has made it look professionally finished. I just don''t see that from these latest photos. Sorry, dear.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
And because we''re all really photo oriented. . .

My 7x7 mm with a 6.65 ish mm Malaya, along with my Mozambique, which measure in around 6.63mm, but because of the shape, seems smaller, so I fixed that by asking for more miligraining.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
5.52 - 5.57 mm in a 6 mm split shank.

original.aspx

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
And my yellow sapphire, which was .1 mm smaller both ways.

original.aspx

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I WISH I could have your jeweler set it for me! He does such a wonderful job, and I''d be more than happy to pay more for a job well done. I''m out about $47 now on setting it TWICE! Both times were cheap, but they were not done well either. In the future I''ll go with smaller stones now that I know better, but should I try yet again on this one? Crookedness bugs the heck out of me. I''ve shown a lot of people the ring, and they all say it''s really pretty. Then I take it off and ask if they can see anything wrong with it. Everyone could, but some only after I told them what to be looking for. I feel like sometimes I am just way too picky, but then I look at yours and they look so great! Plus, I don''t have any other pieces of jewelry that are set crooked like that, even crappy maul stuff I''ve gotten as gifts. I just don''t know why out of THREE different jewelers, not one could get it straight??

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2008 11:15:26 PM
Author: Kelli
I WISH I could have your jeweler set it for me! He does such a wonderful job, and I''d be more than happy to pay more for a job well done. I''m out about $47 now on setting it TWICE! Both times were cheap, but they were not done well either. In the future I''ll go with smaller stones now that I know better, but should I try yet again on this one? Crookedness bugs the heck out of me. I''ve shown a lot of people the ring, and they all say it''s really pretty. Then I take it off and ask if they can see anything wrong with it. Everyone could, but some only after I told them what to be looking for. I feel like sometimes I am just way too picky, but then I look at yours and they look so great! Plus, I don''t have any other pieces of jewelry that are set crooked like that, even crappy maul stuff I''ve gotten as gifts. I just don''t know why out of THREE different jewelers, not one could get it straight??
Kelli,
I''m sorry you''re disappointed with the stone setting. If it makes you feel any better, I would be hard pressed to find a jeweler in my area (Chicago) that could set a stone as well as LTP''s jeweler. I tell them pointed prongs, and they still do some blobby version of a point. On top of that, they want around $60 to $80 to set a stone.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Hi LTP - can you share your jeweler''s info? I am in Houston a lot lately and will love to take my stuff to get it set there!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 11:52:52 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Hi LTP - can you share your jeweler''s info? I am in Houston a lot lately and will love to take my stuff to get it set there!
Absolutely CharmyPoo!

His name is Aldemar with JB Jewelers in Plano, TX. His brother, Armando, is the one who often helps me with my projects, and Aldemar does the actual benchwork and design.

This is a link to the store''s information - http://web3.userinstinct.com/42008599-j-b-jewelers.htm

He doesn''t have a website yet, but I''m working on him to get one done.

Oh, and by the way - I''m going to be in Houston November 16th for the PS GTG at Whiteflash - will you be able to make it? I''d love to meet you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results