shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on 1.9 Round Diamond. Too good to be true?

mnachmia31

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting to the site so forgive me if I forget to include any information. I'm currently searching for an engagement ring to propose to my girlfriend with and came across a diamond on pricescope that seems too good to be true. Here are the specifications of the diamond:

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.92
Cut: Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 62.5%
Table: 56.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Crown Angle: 35
Pavilion Angle: 41
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Measurements: 7.88*7.93*4.94

The HCA rating is 2.3 (very good). What is throwing me off is that the price is only $15,000. This is about $10,000 cheaper than I what I have seen from similar diamonds. Attached is the GIA certificate. Please let me know if I am not seeing something or if this is a steal.

Thanks,
Mike

H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-1.92-Carat-Round-Diamond.JPG

mnachmia31

Rough_Rock
I also forgot to mention that I cannot get an idealscope unless i buy the diamond since it is sourced from another vendor. I get 60 days money back. Is it worth purchasing?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Put it on hold! It's probably discounted because it was someone's trade in. I love to find stones like that. The cert looks older than 2010 but I can't see the date, is it 2000? HCA probably dings it for slightly deep and crown/pav angle but you won't find anything comparable for the price.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably mis-priced. Sometimes that happen. Fluor can discount the price somewhat and a trade in stone can do that too, but 10k discount is too much IMHO in the present market.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
kelpie|1315942760|3016720 said:
Put it on hold! It's probably discounted because it was someone's trade in. I love to find stones like that. The cert looks older than 2010 but I can't see the date, is it 2000? HCA probably dings it for slightly deep and crown/pav angle but you won't find anything comparable for the price.

I can't read the date either. I don't think it's 2000 because it has a cut grade on it. GIA didn't start putting cut grade on their reports until 2006/2007?

I think it's worth checking out if there's a 60 day return period. Take it to an independent appraiser and see what he/she thinks.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Mispriced or not, OP needs to put it on hold or he'll lose it!

mnachmia31

Rough_Rock
The date from the diamond grading report is December 01, 2009. I currently have it on hold at this price so they will have to honor it if its a misprice I believe.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
mnachmia31|1315943247|3016731 said:
The date from the diamond grading report is December 01, 2009. I currently have it on hold at this price so they will have to honor it if its a misprice I believe.
If it's mispriced they probably won't honor. Most sites have a disclaimer re pricing errors. However if you had contact with a real person to confirm the hold, then that could be the real price. A poster here found a 3 ct for $3400 and checked out online knowing full well it was too good to be true. The seller cancelled the transaction because the price was a mistake. Actually just tonight I found a new baume & mercier watch mispriced from a reputable store at $46....just keep your fingers cross for me it's for real and they ship it to me!

ETA- no such luck. My watch order was voided :cry:

mnachmia31

Rough_Rock
I did put this diamond on hold with someone over the phone last night. I think I may have to just take the risk since I do have the 60 day return policy.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I think for the pirce as long as it is a trusted vendor I would go for it. If you have 60 days to return it that should give you plenty of time to get it evaluated, and to see if you love it.

RobertLejman_ISA_GG

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sounds like a very good deal! GIA Triple EX is a nice diamond, and some dealers will actually ask for a premium for that rating. On top of that you have a 1.92 which also sometimes commands a premium.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, either that stone is very mispriced or something is very strange! I hope you are lucky, though!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is a great price! Definitely worth getting.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1315951970|3016821 said:
Wow, either that stone is very mispriced or something is very strange! I hope you are lucky, though!

HI:

Me too for the luck part--remember our convo DS about kicking ourselves about the one that got away?

To the OP--have it appraised by an IA; see if it is what you want! I'm hoping for you!

cheers--Sharon

mnachmia31

Rough_Rock
I think it may be too good to be true...the selling company just called me letting me know that they are double checking on why the diamond price is so low. I'm still hoping though.

I'd just like to thank everyone for their responses and support! I'm new to this so it helps to have the expertise from other members.

Thanks,
Mike

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
Interesting find indeed. The diamond is also listed with an Australian vendor that has headquarters in the NY Diamond District. For about 22K and includes GST. I assume Australian Dollars.

I hope this works out for you!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Interesting - hoping it works out!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I hope the OP comes back and lets us know. It does not come up in a search anymore. I wonder if that is good for the OP because if the price was wrong, it would still be there with the updated price.

mnachmia31

Rough_Rock
Well I have some updates. They came back to me and let me know that the diamond is in fact listed at the correct price. Should I be concerned then there is something wrong with it if its listed at a significantly lower price than expected?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check to make sure the med fluor will not cause oily/hazy look in the sun, rare but not impossible.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
If it was me I would go for it! It is GIA graded so that would make me feel comfortable. I would look at it in several different lighting situations to make sure you like it. I would find a trusted appraiser in the area and get it appraised. I would not say how much you paid for it, or where you got, because sometimes that can throw everything off. You have 60 days to return it, so what are you out?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
One question I would ask is if this diamond, because of the old certificate, was taken back as a trade in. Sometimes diamonds can get damaged through wear, so it could affect the clarity.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone-cold11|1316032519|3017653 said:
Check to make sure the med fluor will not cause oily/hazy look in the sun, rare but not impossible.

definitely check to ensure that the flouro/clarity combo wont cause cloudy/hazy appearance. Also bring it to an independent appraiser to make sure it checks out and that if it was a trade-in there is no damage.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would make sure I had a return policy IN WRITING. Is this vendor trustworthy? It almost is too good to be true, so I would absolutely have it independently appraised immediately.

I hope it works out! Please let us know!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1316050787|3017895 said:
I would make sure I had a return policy IN WRITING. Is this vendor trustworthy? It almost is too good to be true, so I would absolutely have it independently appraised immediately.

yes and make sure to pay with credit card, not cash!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1316050787|3017895 said:

Ditto. Even if it needs a small recut to improve performance it's a steal as long as it's clear and eyeclean!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results