shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice - Knot inclusion

brandonmh

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I've been doing a lot of research around diamonds lately, and I have have found what I believe may be the diamond for my engagement ring. My big concern is a "knot" inclusion. I have read some very bad things about these inclusions and how they can effect the integrity of a diamond.

I am looking at a 0.90 carat, ideal cut, SI1, F colored diamond. I have attached the grading report for this diamond. This diamond is going for $4500. The grading report does not show where on the diamond this inclusion is.

I am going to look at this diamond in person tomorrow, and need advice on specifically what to look for to ensure this is a good diamond. Any and all advice is wanted. Thanks!

Attachments

• d-j11nh1.pdf
    422.4 KB · Views: 141

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
It should be fine in my opinion. All the horrible things that you have read on internet about knots is probably out of proportion in your scenario.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
SI clarity grading also covers the integrity of the diamond.

brandonmh

Rough_Rock
Is there any way to tell if it will be an issue or not? As of right now I don't even know where the knot is located. When I go and look at it tomorrow should I just search for it? I am new to this process sorry. Just excited/cautious that I may have found the diamond I want.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
brandonmh said:
Is there any way to tell if it will be an issue or not? As of right now I don't even know where the knot is located. When I go and look at it tomorrow should I just search for it? I am new to this process sorry. Just excited/cautious that I may have found the diamond I want.
Are you trained to look at diamonds under the loupe? If you are trained enough you might be able to spot inclusion with a loupe. But the character of that inclusion will become clear when you inspect it under a microscope.
I can't comment on specific stones being from the trade. But with SI1 and knot being not the grade setting clarity feature in my opinion it shouldn't be a problem.

brandonmh

Rough_Rock
I am not certified, I've never even used one. Your comments have been reassuring though that this may not be as big of an issue as I'm worried it might be.

If this inclusion was the cause of the clarity grade, how would that be stated on the GIA report? Do you happen to have an example where that is the case?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With any SI diamond, you should have the inclusions shown to you with magnification (microscope). That way you can look at it closely and make 100% sure the stone is eyeclean from the top and sides. That crystal could be more of a problem than the knot, but you have to see where it is and what color it is.

brandonmh

Rough_Rock
I ordered that specific diamond for an "in-store preview" that I am going to look at tomorrow. The store where I am viewing it has just as much info as I do I believe. If we don't know exactly where the inclusions are, should we search for them until we find them? What's the best plan here?

What location makes a crystal "risky"? The #1 thing I can do is make sure it looks eye clean. Other than that I am unsure how to examine the diamond. If I look at it under magnification, are there any specific red flags to look for? Or just to find the imperfections in general?

Thanks for your help!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In any case, you are hoping to utilize the experts to help you (that is the case on this forum - but also at the jewelers).

Hopefully there is someone qualified at the store to answer these questions for you. Your job (as with any consumer) is to determine how trustworthy you find the person giving you the information. You can use both the 'gut-check' method and also, once you have more information, post all you have found out/been told here and you will get opinions from the PS members with no vested interest.

Ask about return policies and the like before you make a decision, and if you have any doubts, I would suggest waiting until you find a diamond that excites you far more than worries you.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
brandonmh|1459466469|4013937 said:
I am not certified, I've never even used one. Your comments have been reassuring though that this may not be as big of an issue as I'm worried it might be.

If this inclusion was the cause of the clarity grade, how would that be stated on the GIA report? Do you happen to have an example where that is the case?
The inclusion types are listed on the report in order of their impact on the clarity grade.

A knot is basically an imbedded crystal, commonly another tiny diamond, that comes to the surface and has been polished along with the surface of the facet. Think of it like a knot in a piece of lumber. You can usually see a small outline of the crystal on the surface of a facet or facets. This could be distracting if it is on the table. Otherwise its should not be very noticeable in an Si1 and is unlikely to undermine the integrity of the stone in any way.

Knots do sometimes pull out leaving a small cavity, but this tends to happen in cutting and very rarely in wear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results