shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice about an Ebay seller situation really quick.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Geez! Please give the money back and just leave negative feedback.

You should absolutely feel guilty, so that''s a good thing that you do. Means you have a conscience.
2.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 2:03:44 PM
Author: Maisie
He is a new ebayer and you have harrassed and threatened him to the point where he was so worried he sent you money!
You aren''t entitled to any of his money. Send it back!
ditto.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 2:48:07 PM
Author: LAJennifer

Date: 2/26/2009 2:03:44 PM
He is a new ebayer and you have harrassed and threatened him to the point where he was so worried he sent you money!
You aren''t entitled to any of his money. Send it back!
ditto.
thritto.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that you were a little harsh with the seller. In regards to other comments, you have no idea if he/she is a new ebayer or not. People can have several accounts on ebay and start new accounts due to getting negative feedback on others. It happens all of the time so don't be fooled by how much feedback a person has and assume that they are new.

I personally think you are right in thinking that he took the phone off the market because he could have probably asked for more. The seller basically admitted to pulling the auction because of the low price and then proceeded to lie and say he did not have it. Whatever the reason, the issue should have been dropped and threats should not have been made. All you can really do is leave negative feedback. Sellers like these are all over ebay. This is nothing new.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 2:05:48 PM
Author: Kelli
I''d let it go as well. Maybe I might have gone so far as to leave a negative feedback or something, but a lawsuit? Come on! I agree with maisie that there are just too many more importnant things to get worked up over.
I agree. I wouldn''t have taken as far as threatening with a lawsuit. It''s not like you sent the money and then he "realized" he didn''t have it in stock.

I say send back the money. Best case, he''s so new he doesn''t know eBay policy/etiquette. Worst case, he''s a dip. But why take his money?

disneybride

Shiny_Rock
I discussed this with the seller and decided to have him just credit me the difference in price between the two phones I had to pay. I felt wrong taking $125, and I still feel guilty over this but then I remember that I would never refuse to sell something AFTER someone had already won my auction because I realized I could get more. I would have to honor the price I stated and suck it up as a lesson learned for the future. That would''ve been the honest way for him to handle it. He admitted to having it and refusing to follow through with the sale because he could get more for it. If he hadn''t said that I probably would''ve dropped the entire thing.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i don't approve of the seller's action in any way but he did finally tell the truth. can you live with your lie to him? he is responsible for his lie and you are responsible for yours. i don't mean to be harsh just my opinion and you did ask.

eta: you say he lied because he realized he could get more. did you lie because you didn't want to have to pay more? i have never even considered buying from ebay because of things like this. if you still feel guilty why don't you give it back and be done with it?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
When he admitted to lying about no longer having the phone... did you confess that you didn''t really have a lawyer and weren''t going to sue him? I don''t think you should have taken any of the money...

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 3:06:37 PM
Author: disneybride
I discussed this with the seller and decided to have him just credit me the difference in price between the two phones I had to pay. I felt wrong taking $125, and I still feel guilty over this but then I remember that I would never refuse to sell something AFTER someone had already won my auction because I realized I could get more. I would have to honor the price I stated and suck it up as a lesson learned for the future. That would''ve been the honest way for him to handle it. He admitted to having it and refusing to follow through with the sale because he could get more for it. If he hadn''t said that I probably would''ve dropped the entire thing.
I get you. What he did was SHADY. i would write ebay regardless. It is an awkward situation. His refusing to sell the item is intentional, but because no money was exchanged, I don''t know how well that would hold up in court. I do think your reaction was a bit overdramatic, but I understand where you are coming from. You feel guilty taking the money, because I think deep down, you know it isn''t right for you to accept it.
I am not sure how the difference is working out, but I am glad you were able to get the situation resolved.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still don''t understand why you should keep the difference between what he would have sold the phone for, and what you ended up paying. If that transaction didn''t work out then thats a risk you take using Ebay. I know what he did was wrong but I still don''t think you are entitled to any money from him.

disneybride

Shiny_Rock
I get it. My overreaction was intentional, however. I WANTED to make him worried about this. He has no right to just leave buyers dangling after an auction ends because he decides he can get more money elsewhere. That''s why Ebay gives you the right to end auctions early, but it states in several places that once the auction ends it is a legally binding contract. I wanted to make sure he realizes he can''t just do this and get away with it, especially since he''s a young man....you have to learn right from wrong somewhere.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the transaction had been reviewed by eBay, then I doubt the resolution would have been for the seller to provide you with $64. Your first avenue of resolution should have been to bring this issue to the attention of eBay.

I have no idea why this guy sent you any money, let alone the full purchase price of the product. Your threats would not have concerned me in the least. I would have simply stopped responding to you.

I think you should return all of the money, but again, I really can''t understand why he sent you any at all. I assume this is through paypal?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 3:28:51 PM
I get it. My overreaction was intentional, however. I WANTED to make him worried about this. He has no right to just leave buyers dangling after an auction ends because he decides he can get more money elsewhere. That''s why Ebay gives you the right to end auctions early, but it states in several places that once the auction ends it is a legally binding contract. I wanted to make sure he realizes he can''t just do this and get away with it, especially since he''s a young man....you have to learn right from wrong somewhere.
Really? Where did you learn it was right to make false threats, bully someone, and play by your own rules?

You could have just left negative feedback on ebay PER THEIR RULES. If he really was a new seller and wanted to keep that account, one neg feedback would have kept most people from buying from him again.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock

i am not an ebayer and don''t know policy but others have stated that ebay should have been the mediator here. if that is correct it was not your place to want to make him worried. if you lost no money you could have walked away after reporting his bad behavior but you WANTED to make him worried. it is a natural feeling but you are taking it a bit far. i do not understand why you asked for guidance when you had your mind made up that he must pay.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad that you taught this "young man" a lesson in "what is right from wrong" and "not to lie" by threatening him, lying to him, and bullying him out of $64 that you were not entitled to. And honestly, I can''t even believe someone would even consider keeping the $125...how can you justify that you deserved that????

I buy and sell on E-Bay all of the time, and yes, sometimes transactions go wrong. That''s part of the process. I personally would never have bought electronic equipment from a newly registered seller with zero feedback. I ALWAYS go through E-Bay for any riffs that come up, that is the safest way for both parties to get a fair decision.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Wow what a thread!

I''m a big ebay buyer and seller and have been for the last 12 years. There have been times when I may have needed to cancel a sale (which is what he should have officially done. Cancel the sale.) or maybe times when I myself may have needed to back out of a sale. I have never had a single problem with this. People are generally understanding on there since we''ve all been in similar situations at one time or another.

In this particular case I''m suprised that a seller not selling an item anymore would cause you to threaten him for that item! Just go without the item, seriously. Is threatening a guy to sell you a phone that important? No way. Now on the other hand, if I had paid the guy for an item he never sent me, then yeah I''d be mad, BUT I''d expect a full refund.

Last week I purchased an item and wasn''t happy with the shipping methods, I called the shop and asked for them to upgrade the shipping since I was on a deadline. They wouldn''t do it but in turn were fine with refunding me my money due to their return/guarantee policy. People try to work with people on ebay. If you don''t lose any money on the deal and the guy is a first timer, it happens.

You know reading this whole thread the word that came to mind for me was ''extortion''. Return the money, please. Yikes.

ETA: I went to lunch so there are a slew more comments since I left. I honestly don''t think any money should have been paid from the buyer to yourself for any reason. That''s what feedback is for.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
You know Ebay no longer allows sellers to leave negative feedback for Buyers which has lead to what''s now being called as ''feedback extortion''. I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea other than to help the buyer not feel afraid to go after the seller.

Minor threadjack sorry.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
I think you just RIP that guy off. He made a mistake because he was new to Ebay, and you threaten him w/ a law suit. Gosh... Your reaction to this situation is why people dislike lawyers (or people who have a very very very close relationship with a lawyer). Just my o.ooo2 cents.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 3:34:50 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
If the transaction had been reviewed by eBay, then I doubt the resolution would have been for the seller to provide you with $64. Your first avenue of resolution should have been to bring this issue to the attention of eBay.

I have no idea why this guy sent you any money, let alone the full purchase price of the product. Your threats would not have concerned me in the least. I would have simply stopped responding to you.

I think you should return all of the money, but again, I really can''t understand why he sent you any at all. I assume this is through paypal?

I believe this guy would have a case again you based on what you did to him and accepted the money. I usually don''t comment that much on a threat. I am not a lawyer, nor am I an ebay seller, but I am
29.gif
at what you did to this guy. I should go chill myself now.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 3:41:51 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Really? Where did you learn it was right to make false threats, bully someone, and play by your own rules?

You could have just left negative feedback on ebay PER THEIR RULES. If he really was a new seller and wanted to keep that account, one neg feedback would have kept most people from buying from him again.

Diito.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t mean to flame you, but I can''t believe you treated the seller that way. Everyone makes mistakes. I''ve had Ebay sellers pull out of deals because they had already sold the product through a private sale. It''s not a big deal. They give you your money back and you find another phone. It''s a $cell phone for Peet''s sake, get over it!

rant over.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Y'know 2 wrongs don't make a right!! You have behaved as badly as he has by threatening him with a lawsuit at least he's been honourable and offered to give you money - no way does that happen often on Ebay!!

You win some you lose some. Give him the money back and do the right thing. I think he's learned his lesson by now..........by having sleepless nights worrying about lawsuits and being skint!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 3:24:06 PM
I still don''t understand why you should keep the difference between what he would have sold the phone for, and what you ended up paying. If that transaction didn''t work out then thats a risk you take using Ebay. I know what he did was wrong but I still don''t think you are entitled to any money from him.
ITA. Him backing out, actually SAVED you $60 by allowing you to buy the phone even cheaper somewhere else, and now you are going to take even more? I don''t understand where the entitlement is coming from?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I was a witness in a trial where I heard the exact same thing. It definitely didn''t end in the defendant being paid $65, and the person that was "teaching a lesson" is now in prison for the next 10 yrs. I think your emotions got the best of you, and I hope that this isn''t how you feel in many day to day situations. I think you should give him all the money back and just let it go, hopefully you''ll never encounter this person again.

If you can''t give the money back, at least donate it somewhere.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW. That poor guy must have been terrified (and maybe still is).

Hello Lover

Rough_Rock
Wait...did he send you the money back or the phone back? I misread something I think.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 4:33:18 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I don''t mean to flame you, but I can''t believe you treated the seller that way. Everyone makes mistakes. I''ve had Ebay sellers pull out of deals because they had already sold the product through a private sale. It''s not a big deal. They give you your money back and you find another phone. It''s a $cell phone for Peet''s sake, get over it!

rant over.

Agreed. Refund the money and get over it. Vent on here that a seller backed out of the deal and all of us who have had that happen, myself included, will be sympathetic. But you took it too far. Get your own back by reporting him to ebay and leaving negative feedback!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I would send the money back and count this as him having learned his lesson. I don''t think I would have taken it as far as you, but I have to say, I''m glad you did teach him a lesson. I''ve had a lot of ebay experience, and a lot of time people with zero feedback aren''t really new, they just got in trouble with previous accounts and have had to set up new ones. It also sounds to me like he lied to you at first to try to get out of accepting a lower offer than he expected to win, and again, that is his fault for not setting a higher reserve. If anything, I would definitely leave him negative feedback to warn future buyers, but I don''t think you could morally accept that money.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
You know, the more I read your responses, the more I wonder who made you boss of Ebay?

Ebay, the company, has a set of rules regarding how to handle this exact sort of situation. It is not your responsibility, privilege, or right to invent ways to extort money from someone--regardless of what you feel you''re owed. I feel your justifications are meerly an attept to win sympathy over something, at a basic level, you know is wrong.

You "taught" a man a lesson by lying and stealing from him. How does that make you feel?

As someone who currently has a phone forsale on ebay, I can tell you honestly, if anyone ever attempted to pull that sort of B.S on me, I would contact Ebay and my next call would be to the police. I would never tolerate being threatened...and you''re very lucky that this man was scared and not pissed off by what you did...because had he been angry, this may have had a very different outcome for you. Like, having to really hire an attorney.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What the seller did was wrong and damn sleazy. BUT, morally, I couldn''t keep the money with a clear conscience. What I would have done in your situation would be to report it to Ebay, leave him a crappy feedback and RETURN THE PHONE. You already bought another phone, so you didn''t need this one.

FYI: I spoke to my FI (who is a senior manager at Ebay!), and he agreed with what I said above.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results