shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a diamond opinion on JA (or other recommendations!)

icec0ld

Rough_Rock
I am looking to buy a diamond between 7-9k so that I can propose around Christmas. It will be in a 14k white gold 2.5mm pave setting, but am open to suggestions in regard to the center stone. Specs I am interested in. Thanks for your help!

Color - I or better
Clarity - Eye Clean. so potentially SI1 and up. (Need more clarification on what to look for in this category)
Cut - Ideal and up
Carat - 1.3 and up

This is what I've found so far:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.51-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-720885?a_aid=dmnd1357&chan=x

Thank you!

icec0ld

Rough_Rock
yes, I purchased the stone but if there are other recommendations, I have zero problems returning and purchasing a better stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful.

icec0ld

Rough_Rock
so here's some food for thought (but i have a feeling i know what the answer is)

the jeweler i am purchasing my setting from has a egl-usa 1.51 round brilliant. it is rated si2 / color 2. polish / symmetry are both excellent. the price on it is 8k. i've seen this one in person and its amazing to my eye (i've never dealt with diamonds). based on the hca however it scores a 5 (as opposed to my james allen that i purchased which has an hca of 2.7). i also looked through the loupe and could see the inclusions but it was eye clean...

tldr...

james allen
1.51 ct
gia
si1 / color i
hca 2.7
$8,350

local jeweler
1.51 ct
egl-usa
si2 / color e
hca 5
$8k

thoughts? opinions?

thanks!

icec0ld

Rough_Rock
any other thoughts? i saw the ja's gia documentation and it had indented natural inclusions on the pavilion. thoughts please?

icec0ld

Rough_Rock
getdigitalimage_4.jpg

here's a copy of the plot diagram

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stay with the GIA I SI1. It will be clearer than an EGL SI2 which could equate to a GIA I1-2. HCA of 2.7 is better than a 5 which answers the light return question. And is an EGL E equivalent to a GIA E? Doubt it.

For the extra 300 bucks I would way rather be assured that what I have is correctly graded than to say I have something that isn't true.

Did you look at gypsy's links? Stay out of stores unless they are going to show you GIA XXX or AGS 0 stones. Just my opinion.

jtrend

Rough_Rock
My suggestion is don't buy online. There's nothing more unromantic than saying "honey I picked out your diamond online." Sure you save a few hundred dollars, in 20 years though you won't remember that savings though. All you'll be able to do is hang your head in shame that you bought something that precious ONLINE.

For example/
You: "I found you a great ring from whiteflash.com."
Meanwhile her and everyone else are thinking, "Is that a **** site?"
Slowly that stupid smirk comes off your face as she turns to you and says "why couldn't you have just gotten me one from Zales or Tiffany?"
You: But babe, they don't offer an ASET image!!!
Her: "Oh screw you and your ASET image! You can sleep on the sofa tonight you cheapskate"

LOL. :dance:

alamana

Shiny_Rock
jtrend|1449349075|3957985 said:
My suggestion is don't buy online. There's nothing more unromantic than saying "honey I picked out your diamond online." Sure you save a few hundred dollars, in 20 years though you won't remember that savings though. All you'll be able to do is hang your head in shame that you bought something that precious ONLINE.

Hmmm. This tone is so off ... maybe you are joking?

At any rate, we didn't save hundreds going online -- we saved thousands. And the fact that my gorgeous stone is probably close to twice the size (not to mention better cut/clarity/color) of what we would have gotten for the same money in a B&M store -- VERY ROMANTIC.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For example/
Slowly that stupid smirk comes off your face as she turns to you and says "why couldn't you have just gotten me one from Zales or Tiffany?"
Her: "Oh screw you and your ASET image! You can sleep on the sofa tonight you cheapskate
"

Wtf are you even talking about.

christiekpearson

Rough_Rock
Wow JTrend, if you're trolling then at least be creative and funny about it, otherwise what are you doing on this forum? You posted asking for help and then insulted valued community members that tried to help you. Your girl might be happy with a diamond from Zales or Robbin Brother's ring but the vast majority of people here want a diamond with the best performance. Why not go somewhere else to ask for help? You're acting like a brat.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
christiekpearson|1449355358|3958028 said:
Wow JTrend, if you're trolling then at least be creative and funny about it, otherwise what are you doing on this forum? You posted asking for help and then insulted valued community members that tried to help you. Your girl might be happy with a diamond from Zales or Robbin Brother's ring but the vast majority of people here want a diamond with the best performance. Why not go somewhere else to ask for help? You're acting like a brat.

Trolling is hard sometimes

Q

Queenie60

For example/
Her: "Oh screw you and your ASET image! You can sleep on the sofa tonight you cheapskate"

Why be so hostile? - posters are here to help you out. If you want to spend thousands more, then go ahead. If you don't want opinions, then don't ask. Go your merry way and waste your hard earned money. :angryfire:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1449355516|3958029 said:
christiekpearson|1449355358|3958028 said:

Trolling is hard sometimes

:appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results