Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a brilliant moisturiser! Help!

Alex T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
4,962
I am struggling to find a moisturiser that works for me. I know this might be a stab in the dark, but I'm currently churning though money on creams that are not working & I end up giving practically new pots away.

My skin is dry, so I need something heavy duty as it gets a bit flakey in winter around my brow & cheeks. I want something that holds well under makeup. I don't know if others find this, but when I apply BB cream (it has SPF & is all I need - I don't use a foundation very often ) the cream all seems to roll up & shed under my fingertips! It's ridiculous! So then I start to look even more flakey than I did before & have to try to not touch my face ALL day so it doesn't look worse!

Would a heavy duty night cream help, then I can use a lighter day cream? I am looking mid range, so not high street such as Olay, but not Chanel or YSL. I am thinking Clarins or Lancome type of range. If it's too light, my face starts to feel dry. I would rather have soft skin with a sheen on it over dry skin with BB cream sitting in my crows feet anyday! In very cold weather I smear over an organic rose hip oil at night, which helps, but it's getting increasingly necessary for me to smear a tiny amount on in the morning over the top of my moisturiser, so that my makeup goes on easy & without dragging. I currently use Vichy which has been fine for a few years, but it's suddenly stopped doing anything. I must be getting old :lol:

ETA: I am off to a department store this morning to ask around for samples & pour out my rolling up makeup woes. Hopefully this may help with the money wasting!
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
33,764
Hi Alex, I know others will come by and share their favorites with you. I am sharing what works for me and maybe it can help you too?

I have very reactive/sensitive skin that is also incredibly dry. I use La Roche Posay Toleriane Ultra Moisturizer in the warmer more humid months and in the very dry winters we have I add Avene Cicalfate Restorative cream on top of the Ultra. This seems to work well for me and staves off my flaking in the winter.

http://www.laroche-posay.us/toleriane-ultra-3337872412486.html

http://www.aveneusa.com/cicalfate-restorative-skin-cream

Good luck and I hope you find a wonderful moisturizer soon.
 

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 25, 2012
Messages
3,023
Ok, so at $92 a bottle it's not exactly cheap, BUT you can make it last and it has always gotten me compliments on my skin (which is dry and flaky in some areas and oily in others).

Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair, I use it at night and plain old Cetaphil during the day. My skin is always soft and glowy. Lots of water and sleep help too.
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,353
Alex,
I had the same problem as you not long ago. I would get flaky patches an hour or two after the BB cream application. What you don't want to do is slather more cream because that's a temporary band-aid which will not hold up in the long run. I solved my problem by layering hydration, then sealing in all that moisture with a cream. I also started a light chemical exfoliation routine of AHA and BHA every alternate day to slough off that dead itchy and patchy skin, which will allow the hydration to sink. I know that's not what you are asking about but my personal experience is that there is an underlying cause for that dryness that once I corrected, I did not need a heavy moisturizer anymore.
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,749
Before you go spending a ton of cash on moisturizers, start at the root of the problem. Most people's homes do not have the ideal level of humidity, and most people do not drink enough water. Make sure you address those things first before you band-aid the issue with topical creams. Living tissue needs hydration from the inside AND outside. :))
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,375
monarch64|1461768484|4024169 said:
Before you go spending a ton of cash on moisturizers, start at the root of the problem. Most people's homes do not have the ideal level of humidity, and most people do not drink enough water. Make sure you address those things first before you band-aid the issue with topical creams. Living tissue needs hydration from the inside AND outside. :))
YES! I was going to suggest a humidifier, particularly when the heat is on!

I have stopped with my face creams and just use oils now. I particularly like:
1. sweet almond oil for face and body
2. rosehip oil for face
3. fractionated coconut oil for body (DH uses for face too but it doesn't affect his pores, while I found that it gave me a couple blackheads)

I slather an oil on after my nightly shower, turn on the humidifier, and hunker down in bed. :)
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,233
Hmm..I had a bad allergic reaction to almond oil. I guess everyone's skin is different.

A bit of an aside, I find putting on primer really helps with the foundation, it glides on much more easily and stays on.

I also have super dry skin. I use Estee Lauder creme riche, their most expensive skincare unfortunately. That said, a little goes a long way. I've tried other creams or lotions and they just don't work.

I like Kiehl's oil. I apply it after moisturiser and sometimes just a tiny bit after foundation. It helps the skin to be/ look a bit more dewy.
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,375
Phoenix|1461769454|4024175 said:
Hmm..I had a bad allergic reaction to almond oil. I guess everyone's skin is different.

A bit of an aside, I find putting on primer really helps with the foundation, it glides on much more easily and stays on.

I also have super dry skin. I use Estee Lauder creme riche, their most expensive skincare unfortunately. That said, a little goes a long way. I've tried other creams or lotions and they just don't work.

I like Kiehl's oil. I apply it after moisturiser and sometimes just a tiny bit after foundation. It helps the skin to be/ look a bit more dewy.
Phoenix do you have nut allergies in general? I'm sorry about your allergic reaction to almond oil, but that's the first thing I thought of - that you may have or may be developing some kind of nut allergy. (I apologize if I am overstepping, but I'm a worry wart and you are always nothing but sweet on PS :wavey: )
 

Snowdrop13

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 27, 2011
Messages
1,856
Have a look at the Boots No7 ranges, I've used Protect and Perfect for ages with no problems. Some of the Liz Earle products are really good too, especially the Superskin creams.
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,716
Try the Cerave night cream in a jar that's fairly new out. Just try it.
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,233
PintoBean|1461769698|4024178 said:
Phoenix|1461769454|4024175 said:
Hmm..I had a bad allergic reaction to almond oil. I guess everyone's skin is different.

A bit of an aside, I find putting on primer really helps with the foundation, it glides on much more easily and stays on.

I also have super dry skin. I use Estee Lauder creme riche, their most expensive skincare unfortunately. That said, a little goes a long way. I've tried other creams or lotions and they just don't work.

I like Kiehl's oil. I apply it after moisturiser and sometimes just a tiny bit after foundation. It helps the skin to be/ look a bit more dewy.
Phoenix do you have nut allergies in general? I'm sorry about your allergic reaction to almond oil, but that's the first thing I thought of - that you may have or may be developing some kind of nut allergy. (I apologize if I am overstepping, but I'm a worry wart and you are always nothing but sweet on PS :wavey: )
Awww!! You're so sweet, PintoBean. :)) :))

I'm not allergic to nuts, I eat them almost on a daily basis. That was the most peculiar thing! No worries though, I've stopped using it.

Thank you.
 

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 15, 2015
Messages
271
My husband has really dry skin. I started making my own soap, which really helped (it's easy, just basic chemistry). We also have a few friends who are Dermatologists and they recommended ceramide creams. We buy the Cerave cream, and it really helps.
 

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Messages
2,035
My skin is a bit the same. Easily dry and red, but also prone to breakouts. It has actually improved a lot since I switched to PCA skin

I use this at night
http://www.pcaskin.com/daily-care-products/moisturizers/apres-peelr-hydrating-balm.html

And this during the day
http://www.pcaskin.com/daily-care-products/broad-spectrum-spf/perfecting-protection-broad-spectrum-spf-30-4.html
and
http://www.pcaskin.com/daily-care-products/broad-spectrum-spf/weightless-protection-broad-spectrum-spf-45-3.html

Also, I use BB (for more coverage) or CC (replaced by dream tint?) for less coverage from Jane Irdale, depending on my skin that day
https://janeiredale.com/us/en/mineral-makeup/mineral-makeup-foundation/glow-time-full-coverage-mineral-bb-cream.htm
https://janeiredale.com/us/en/mineral-makeup/mineral-makeup-foundation/dream-tint-tinted-moisturizer.htm

However, I also love moisture + BB from Dr Christine Schrammek
http://www.schrammek.com/derma-cosmetics/hydrating/daily-hydra-maximum/
http://www.schrammek.com/derma-cosmetics/regulating/blemish-balm/

Good luck! I know how hard it is to find something that works! When I did a Obagi treatment a while ago, I was flaking like crazy and the only thing that worked was Elisabeth Arden 8 hour cream - but that is a little sticky... LOL
 

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 29, 2009
Messages
214
Chrono|1461758370|4024120 said:
Alex,
I had the same problem as you not long ago. I would get flaky patches an hour or two after the BB cream application. What you don't want to do is slather more cream because that's a temporary band-aid which will not hold up in the long run. I solved my problem by layering hydration, then sealing in all that moisture with a cream. I also started a light chemical exfoliation routine of AHA and BHA every alternate day to slough off that dead itchy and patchy skin, which will allow the hydration to sink. I know that's not what you are asking about but my personal experience is that there is an underlying cause for that dryness that once I corrected, I did not need a heavy moisturizer anymore.
I do the same thing as Chrono -- layer products to seal hydration. Most creams are emollient and occlusive, but may not have the right humectant ingredients to attract the water to be sealed in, in the first place. Same with pure oils, which by definition have no water -- so if your skin is moist to begin with, just oil or any thick cream is fine, because it seals in what's already there. Our skin (Your, Chrono's, mine) needs a little help first.

You want to look for a watery product that has sodium hyaluronate or hyaluronic acid to boost water retention -- a non-astringent toner, essentially -- and then, before it dries, apply your oil/creams to seal it all in.

Check out the "Beauty Products You are Loving" for our current routines!
 

Alex T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
4,962
Thank you everyone for your fab suggestions & experiences :appl:

Today I spoke with a woman from Estee Lauder, showed her my dry patches & discussed my issues, and she promptly marched me over to the Lancome lady! So I have been dispatched with some very generous pots of products to try, that she filled from some sample jars. She thinks initially to try the Hydra Zen day cream without SPF & also their new moisture surge liquid, which is in a green jar & looks & feels a bit like a serum. This one is a 'mask' & goes on last thing in the evening, to soak overnight. I used this about 2 hours ago when I got in for the evening, and I have to say my skin feels lovely & not remotely tight. She told me to avoid SPF in moisturiser if I use it in my BB cream, and also to ensure the moisturiser is applied as soon as I get out if the shower, before body lotion etc, to ensure it has properly been absorbed before the BB. If I apply the BB too soon, it's apparently THAT which leads to the rolling & flaking of product.

What a minefield! I shall check out the Beauty Products You Are Loving thread tomorrow.
 

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
5,348
Have you tried Cliniques Dramatically Different Moisturizer. I used it for the longest time and really enjoyed it
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top