shape
carat
color
clarity

national dont buy a diamond week?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would creating one get the message accross that we arent going to take it?
Something like the first week of dec.?
Would you support it?

I dont want to steer the discussion one way or the other so im just going to throw the question out there for now :}

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Sure, but if I was in the market, I'd just buy it the week after and it wouldn't accomplish much. Now asking to defer one purchase is another story.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it would prove anything. Diamonds are not an everyday purchase, so like Noobie says, it would simply push the purchase to one side of the week or the other, IF anyone paid attention to it. It takes most people more than a week to make the purchase anyway. I don't think it would change the # of diamonds sold at all.

If you really want to make a point, don't buy diamonds at all, and convince others to do the same.

edited to add: Noobie -- it seems as if you are ALWAYS in the market these days. You are one ot the few people it really might impact!
eek.gif

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah...you'd have to make it a year probably to make an impact.

A galant idea though!

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
~ Well, I don’t seem to be able to buy a diamond at all, even though I’m seriously in the market and thirsting like a parched camel. You guys go on with your boycott, though, and maybe I can get someone to sell me something if there’s no other activity going on!

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
i think the real question, is "why?"

yeah, you might knock de beers down a few notches with a boycott, but you'd also put thousands of poor africans out of work, and eventually cause the economies of botswana and namibia to collapse.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 8/26/2004 1:25:11 PM CaptAubrey wrote:

i think the real question, is 'why?'

yeah, you might knock de beers down a few notches with a boycott, but you'd also put thousands of poor africans out of work, and eventually cause the economies of botswana and namibia to collapse.
----------------

Come on, lets not get to serious! It would take thousands of others not registered on pricescope to really make a dent.

I think the Nambian economy will continue to operate normally.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/26/2004 1:33:10 PM wonka27 wrote:

----------------

----------------

Come on, lets not get to serious! It would take thousands of others not registered on pricescope to really make a dent.

I think the Nambian economy will continue to operate normally.

----------------

well, strm is talking about "sending a message." it would take a big boycott for de beers to even notice. i have doubts they're even aware of pricescope.

mining (mostly diamonds by value) accounts for about 20% of namibian gdp, and most of the economy is dependent on the mining sector.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im not saying yet wether I think its doable or even a good idea.
but:
If you notice the timing I proposed, everyone watches dec. sales like a hawk they would notice and react to a dip in dec sales more strongly than any other time of year.
If it is a good season for diamond sales you can bet that diamond prices will go up in january.
I would be the best time of year for it and magnify its power 1000 fold.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/25/2004 9:32:47 PM lop wrote:

If you really want to make a point, don't buy diamonds at all, and convince others to do the same.

--

Which Strm, himself, has a problem doing.
wink2.gif

Nope, not me. I can think of much more valid boycotts.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 8/26/2004 1:57:09 PM strmrdr wrote:

Im not saying yet wether I think its doable or even a good idea.
but:
If you notice the timing I proposed, everyone watches dec. sales like a hawk they would notice and react to a dip in dec sales more strongly than any other time of year.
If it is a good season for diamond sales you can bet that diamond prices will go up in january.
I would be the best time of year for it and magnify its power 1000 fold. ----------------
Storm,

I really like you man, but please don't make me want to have to hurt you for screwing up my December. I am not DeBeers and it will NOT make a statement to me, it will take food out of the mouth of my lovely wife. That will make her cranky and we all know that if mama aint happy, aint nobody happy!

DeBeers will not know or care, but ol Wink and Jonathon and lots of other fine small merchants will know and they will care a LOT. Of course we are already on your side and suffering right along with you, but if you were to do this and if you were successful, we are the people you would hurt, not DeBeers.

Wink

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
very good point wink there would be some collateral damage to some good people.
It would be a big consideration.

I disagree with you on DeBeers not noticing if enough people get involved and dec. sales drop.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------

----------------

Maybe then they would take back controll of their natural resources.
Im a firm believer that the natural resources of a country belong to the people of that country not foreign corps that exploit the locals.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/28/2004 9:40:33 AM Feydakin wrote:

I suffered through this years ago when I had a Domino's Pizza franchise..

Tom Monahan (president and founder) ----------------

Which goes to issue of the collateral damage one could cause as Feydakin points out. And, in the end, Monahan got his up & comings. He inflated his net worth w/ all the exhorbanent "record" prices he paid for FLW furniture. He was in some kinda trouble.
6.gif
So, in the end, karma comes around. Debeers time will come.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/28/2004 5:34:40 PM fire&ice wrote:

----------------
in the end, karma comes around. Debeers time will come.

----------------

I hope so.

In my opinion it is too late for one this year.
It would take a full 6 months to get the word out enough to do any good.
I could get the word out to 150000 people in a few minutes time but it wouldnt likely be enough.
Too much collateral damage also but it might get bad enough that one might be needed at a later date.

If it is a bad Christmas season for diamond sales the price increases will slow down but if its a good season expect more hefty price increases next year. Mark my words.

It sux that DeBeers is hiding behind the little guys but hopefully they will get it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results