shape
carat
color
clarity

Name your favorite sad song.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This Is The Beginning Of The End, sung by a young Frank Sinatra.

It reminds me of the time towards the end of my marriage.

DK :twisted2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything by Bread.
One song in particular , the title now eludes me, “why can’t I have you...” or something to that effect. The ugly crying begins a few seconds in.

Ditto. I love everything by Bread. I don't know which specific song you are referring to-I did a search and there are many songs with similar phrasing but not those exact words that I could find. But I so agree that anything by Bread can make me cry. Love them. This song is a sad one.

Heartbreaking.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This Is The Beginning Of The End, sung by a young Frank Sinatra.

It reminds me of the time towards the end of my marriage.

DK :twisted2:

Anything by Frank is a masterpiece IMO. I love listening to him.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fast Car by Tracy Chapman. When I was young I listened to it so many times and I thought it was a hopeful song but now that I'm older I find it just a terribly sad and depressing statement about the struggles of women in an unforgiving society.

Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell, such a great melody but oh boy such depressing lyrics.

The cover of "Autumn leaves" by Eva Cassidy. Every time I hear her singing it gives me chills..

I also love many sad songs by Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen, and also "le poinçonneur des lilas" by Serge Gainsbourg.

Love all these. They give me chills too. Autumn Leaves. Sigh.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wreck on the highway
racing in the street
he's kind of made a career out of writting sad songs
almost his entire new album Western stars is sooooo sad
stones
jack of all trades
devil's arcade

these are all my favourites
im drawn to the dark tracks
live is usually better
its really hard to stop but i could be bringing on eye rolling :mrgreen2:

You are a true blue Bruce Springsteen fan. I admire your hardcore passion for him and his music.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy....Joni, Joni, Joni
There's never a bad time to hear a Joni song.......
So many other beautiful sad songs mentioned so far....
This line always gets me...
IN the lonely light of morning, in the wound that would not heal, it's the bitter taste of losing everything that I've held so dear....

Everything she sings is breathtaking. Beautiful is too gentle a description for her voice and music. She moves me like no other artist. Brings tears to my eyes when I listen to her.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are a true blue Bruce Springsteen fan. I admire your hardcore passion for him and his music.

coming from someone who loves the Jerseys shore that means a lot.
alas that's something Gary never says about my fandom/lifestyles choice

but life is just too short and there is so much live material out there i have no time to listen to much else :lol:

Gary doesn't understand why i need 40 versions of one song (and thats so not enough) and how i can devote an entire day to just one song

i certainly have had my money's worth out of Mr Bruce Springsteen
i must say on here i get frightfully over excited when i see someone is from some place i only know about because Bruce toured there

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
“My Buddy”, sung by Mr. Sinatra
“Yesterday When I Was Young”, sung by Lena Horne
“L’Accordeoniste”, sung by Edith Piaf

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochiko, have you heard Yves Montand's rendition of Les Feuilles Mortes? Here it is, just in case.

Also, great Serge recommendation! I'd like to throw in Manon (for some sadness and confusion :) ).

Yes, both songs are favorites of mine as well though I haven't listened to them in a while. Now I have to go dig out some Yves Montand and Jacques Brel! Thanks for sharing them :kiss2:

One sad/nostalgic album that I like to listen to is Rose Kennedy by Benjamin Biolay, especially "Novembre toute l'année" but the whole album has that melancholic feeling.

Another few favorites of mine are Joy Division's "Love will tear us apart", Robbie William's "Angels" and Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's "Hurt". I like a lot of sad music! :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, both songs are favorites of mine as well though I haven't listened to them in a while. Now I have to go dig out some Yves Montand and Jacques Brel! Thanks for sharing them :kiss2:

One sad/nostalgic album that I like to listen to is Rose Kennedy by Benjamin Biolay, especially "Novembre toute l'année" but the whole album has that melancholic feeling.

Another few favorites of mine are Joy Division's "Love will tear us apart", Robbie William's "Angels" and Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's "Hurt". I like a lot of sad music! :lol:

Me too all of the above songs and yes to enjoying sad music. I know it's weird but somehow it makes me feel better. Maybe it does that to you too?

As an aside have you ever heard the Nine Inch Nails version of Hurt? OMG not good IMO and I like Nine Inch Nails. But not their version of Hurt. Plus Johnny Cash's version is perfection.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I agree with you that music can be healing and cathartic sometimes! I find that music helps to deal with and process emotions that aren't always easy to put into your own words.

Also, yes, NIN is great and Trent Reznor is a genius but the Johnny Cash cover of Hurt is far superior :saint:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How could I have forgotten this one?
“Cycles”, sung by Mr. Sinatra

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
two little boys
Rolf Harris
unfortunately its Rolf Harris

so ill replace that with
and the band played Waltzing Matilda
im a fan of John Williamson so ill go with his version

and
Teddy bear
Red Sovine

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And this one is a masterpiece.

@stracci2000 I was going to post this one! I am a little obsessed with freighters. “Know Your Ships: Decades” is on my Christmas wishlist! My Facebook feed is filled with jewels, royal jewels, and freighters (and some friends!).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a sad song I love. Warning bad language within the song.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another sad song. Green Day lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong wrote this song about his father, who died of cancer September 1st, 1982. :(

Sometimes I want to just go to sleep and not be woken til the bad times have passed. Not practical but that is how I feel sometimes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more.

bespokecarmel

Shiny_Rock
Wouldn’t classify myself as a country music fan, but “He Stopped Loving Her Today” by George Jones makes me melancholic like no other song...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brad Paisley: Dying to See Her
John Michael Montgomery: The Little Girl
Martina McBride: Concrete Angel

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! How could I forget my other favorite Brad Paisley sad song?!
Whiskey Lullaby

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Dust in the Wind - Kansas

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot this one.
When I perform it I tear up.

Snip:
"Tears in Heaven" is a ballad written by Eric Clapton and Will Jennings about the pain Clapton felt following the death of his four-year-old son, Conor, who fell from a window of the 53rd-floor New York apartment of his mother's friend, on March 20, 1991."

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is a little-known piece. I can't help but spend some time with it every Memorial Day.

There is also a better-produce version available on YouTube, but this live version(1993) was the first time I heard it and seems to make it more 'real' somehow.

Sibsgirl

Shiny_Rock
My favorite is

kah42

Shiny_Rock
Some good ones are already listed here! Another, more recent, favorite of mine is Mercy by Brett Young.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Girl Crush by Little Big Town

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Dolly Parton's I will always love you

Willie Nelson's Always on my Mind

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
Ditto. I love everything by Bread. I don't know which specific song you are referring to-I did a search and there are many songs with similar phrasing but not those exact words that I could find. But I so agree that anything by Bread can make me cry. Love them. This song is a sad one.

Heartbreaking.

This is the one I’m thinking of.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results