shape
carat
color
clarity

Name Change: What Did You Do?

Did you change your name when you got married?

• I changed my last name to his last name.

Votes: 64 79.0%
  • We both changed our names to something new.

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • He changed his last name to my last name.

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
I took his name,but made my maiden name my middle name so now I'm Amy Maiden HisLast. I think I would have had more of a problem with it,if I didn't go from a very Irish name to a very scottish name.It didn't feel like I was really leaving my heritage that much.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I am most certainly not going to change my last name.

I don't care if I don't share a name with my husband or kids, it won't make us any less of a family. Ridiculous notion that it would.

Kids can choose whose last name they want when they are older.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1293481810|2807223 said:

I don't care if I don't share a name with my husband or kids, it won't make us any less of a family. Ridiculous notion that it would.

Yup.

They'll most probably get DH's last name initially, and I can't imagine why they would want to change after a decade+ of having that name, but they will have the option when they're older.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1293481810|2807223 said:

If PS had a "Like" button, I would have clicked it for this post. :wink2:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I've been thinking about this a lot lately (for obvious reasons since we're getting married in May) and I think I'm going to change even though I never thought I would. To be honest, I'm not thrilled about the idea, but I'm not hating it either. I'm not sure if we'll have kids, so that isn't really factoring into the decision, although if we did I would prefer we all share the same name.

But the decision for me comes down to the fact that it would make him happy, and he is making a whole lot of sacrifices and uprooting his life for me, so I feel like I can do this for him. I'm going to be starting my career shortly after we're married so I want to make the change before I get moving in my professional career.

And his last name is pretty to write. :))

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I kept my name (never changed Soc. Sec. or other gov't papers) and just added his at the end with no hyphen (more of an every day thing). I wasn't about to give up my name..it's me and I feel strongly about keeping my identity. I do regret not adding my name to my children's last name because for some reason my husband says they kids are (example) Smiths (his name) and not Carmines (example of what would be my last name). I tell him that they are as much Carmine as they are Smith and I wish I had put up this fight beforehand..maybe use my name as a middle name. With that said my 2 older children always say we're Carmines too daddy..we grew inside mommy's tummy and we're a part of her so that makes us Carmines too

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results