shape
carat
color
clarity

name change FRUSTRATION #*&F$@* (passport)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just got back from the Post Office, where I'd intended to do the whole free-passport-name-change-within-a-year thing.

I just had THE most frustrating conversation with THE least-intelligent and least-helpful postal worker I've ever come across, for about 5 minutes straight over ONE FIELD.

Field reads:
Place of Name Change _________________
Date of Name Change ___ / ___ / ______

Shouldn't be too difficult, right?

Wrong.

I wanted to know whether I was supposed to enter the location/date where/when I was issued a new Social Security Card and/or Driver's License, or the location/date where/when I was married. She kept saying that it doesn't have anything to do with the DMV, it's when my name changed. But... that IS when my name changed. I tried to explain to her that my name didn't change when I got married, the marriage just permitted me to change my name at a later date if I so chose (which I did, about two months later). She could not comprehend this, or answer which date I was supposed to enter, but kept saying that it "didn't matter."

Okay, it "doesn't matter" what date I put on an official government form? I would possibly accept that from someone who seemed to know what they were talking about, but not from this woman. She said that I didn't "have to make it so complicated," (umm, aren't you the one making it complicated by trying to answer a question that you have NO clue the correct answer to??). I finally broke down and started to write the date of the wedding and she said, "but you didn't change your name when you got married?"

29.gif

gaah.gif

I grabbed two fresh forms and left, and she yelled as I ran out the door "Don't you want us to take your passport photo?"

I keep saying in the "should I change my name" threads that it HAS been a huge hassle, yet no one believes me.......

P.S. Can anyone tell me what I AM supposed to put on that line? The place/date my social security card was issued, the place/date my driver's license was issued, the date/place of the wedding ceremony or the date/place our marriage certificate was processed?! Or some crazy combination of dates and places??????

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I believe you. Sorry it''s been so annoying!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 4:18:10 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Thanks, Italia
1.gif
It feels good to vent.

I know it''s not this insane for everyone, but I honestly feel as though I''ve hit EVERY possible road bump on EVERY step of the process.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Didn''t you know there''s a maximum IQ to be able to answer important questions about gov''t documents? And it''s definitely *not* high enough. Getting a passport in the US has never been a happy thing for me.

"But we need your original birth certificate."
"Well, it''s in Thailand."
"If you''re Thailandish, why do you want an American passport?"

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 4:24:49 PM
Author: princesss
Didn''t you know there''s a maximum IQ to be able to answer important questions about gov''t documents? And it''s definitely *not* high enough. Getting a passport in the US has never been a happy thing for me.

''But we need your original birth certificate.''

''Well, it''s in Thailand.''

''If you''re Thailandish, why do you want an American passport?''
Oh geez
20.gif
that sounds like fun.

Honestly, it was so easy when I got it last year that it didn''t even occur to me there might be a problem. How is it that she had NO clue how to answer my question, but liked to pretend that I was the one who had no clue what was going on? It seemed like some weird power trip thing. I walked out of there SEETHING. Good thing I have a ridiculously hyper-friendly dog that licked me to death when I got home, otherwise I might''ve broken something in a FIT OF RAGE!!!!
29.gif

Okay not really
3.gif
but it sure would be dramatic!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
was your hair cute at least?

Sorry, a joke is probably not what you''re looking for. I think passports are a PITA in general.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 4:31:57 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Sorry, a joke is probably not what you''re looking for. I think passports are a PITA in general.
9.gif
I was originally thinking my hair would be good for a passport pic, but I got so disgusted I didn''t even do that. Besides, it was gonna be $15 - is that the norm? I have no idea.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on where you go. I had mine done at the PO, FI has his done at Rite Aid and it was a lot more. You can also just take a pic of yourself and trim it down I think (don''t quote me on that!)

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 4:35:38 PM
Author: musey

Date: 5/1/2009 4:31:57 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

9.gif
I was originally thinking my hair would be good for a passport pic, but I got so disgusted I didn''t even do that. Besides, it was gonna be $15 - is that the norm? I have no idea.
Sounds about right. I have to get mine done before our mini-moon to Victoria. It''s also fun trying to find a good Canadian passport picture-taker in the US. Canadians sure are picky!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay maybe I''ll go back tomorrow and get my pic taken there
3.gif
hopefully the same woman won''t be working.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeks...I can only imagine how frustrating it must''ve been for you. Hope you have better luck next time!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Kama. I''m just now starting to calm down
3.gif
it''s been a long day (and it''s only 2pm my time!!).

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Form DS-82

Perhaps you can send it in via mail and avoid the post office altogether? There is a phone number for questions too. I suspect the post office worker you dealt with is not well-versed in these forms because she usually handles other duties or just hadn't been presented with that question before.

I need to update my name on my passport. Honestly, it hadn't occurred to me until I saw this post!! So, thank you!

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
What documentation do you have to send in with the name change form? Why not just use whatever date is on that. (so as not to confuse the poor gov''t workers that are the twins of your postal employee)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 5:20:18 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
Editing for proper form:

Perhaps you can send it in via mail and avoid the post office altogehter? There is a phone number for questions too. I suspect the post office worker you dealt with is not well-versed in these forms because she usually handles other duties or just hadn''t been presented with that question before.
That''s the plan, that''s why I grabbed two forms on my way out the door. Now I just have to get a picture.

I looked the form over quickly and did not see the section that you referenced in your initial post, which is why I''m wondering if I pulled the right form. I need to update my name on my passport. Honestly, it hadn''t occurred to me until I saw this post!! So, thank you!
You need form DS-5504, but you can fill it out online and print if you want to make sure you have the right thing.

You can find the link for that at the top of this page:
Form DS-5504: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 5:22:01 PM
Author: jet2ks
What documentation do you have to send in with the name change form? Why not just use whatever date is on that. (so as not to confuse the poor gov''t workers that are the twins of your postal employee)
I just have to send in my marriage certificate and old passport. My name didn''t change on the marriage certificate obviously, but even if I were to enter the place/date from that... which one?
3.gif
The place/date I was married is different from the place/date the certificate was issued.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Slightly OT, but Musey how long do you have to file the paperwork without paying for an entirely new passport? Do you know?

Sorry the Postal Service lady was less than helpful. I had a pretty crappy experience at the social security office.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date: 5/1/2009 5:35:11 PM

Editing for proper form:

Perhaps you can send it in via mail and avoid the post office altogehter? There is a phone number for questions too. I suspect the post office worker you dealt with is not well-versed in these forms because she usually handles other duties or just hadn't been presented with that question before.
That's the plan, that's why I grabbed two forms on my way out the door. Now I just have to get a picture.

I looked the form over quickly and did not see the section that you referenced in your initial post, which is why I'm wondering if I pulled the right form. I need to update my name on my passport. Honestly, it hadn't occurred to me until I saw this post!! So, thank you!
You need form DS-5504, but you can fill it out online and print if you want to make sure you have the right thing.

Form DS-5504: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement

Form DS-5504 is for name changes for passports that were issued less than one year ago.

Form DS-82 (which I linked to above) is for name changes for passports issued one year or more ago.

I edited my post after I realized the difference in these two forms.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2009 5:40:24 PM
Author: Miscka
Slightly OT, but Musey how long do you have to file the paperwork without paying for an entirely new passport? Do you know?

Sorry the Postal Service lady was less than helpful. I had a pretty crappy experience at the social security office.
Miscka,

This page answers your question: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/correcting/correcting_2654.html

If your passport was issued one year or less ago, then you are not charged a fee. Otherwise, you have to pay $60.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Field reads:
Place of Name Change _________________ (This is usually the city/town in which you filed your marriage license)
Date of Name Change ___ / ___ / ______ (This is usually the date you married)

When you fill in your marriage license (done in advance of wedding), you declare what name you intend to use post-marriage. If you are changing your name, that name becomes effective on the day you marry.

The whole updating your name with SS/DMV/Passport/etc. is merely an update; your name has already changed, and you are fulfilling your requirement to update legal entities that you have changed it. Most of them require a copy of the marriage license because the name change becomes effective with the fulfillment of that license, which is the date you marry.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 6:01:00 PM
Date: 5/1/2009 5:35:11 PM
Editing for proper form:

Perhaps you can send it in via mail and avoid the post office altogehter? There is a phone number for questions too. I suspect the post office worker you dealt with is not well-versed in these forms because she usually handles other duties or just hadn''t been presented with that question before.
That''s the plan, that''s why I grabbed two forms on my way out the door. Now I just have to get a picture.

I looked the form over quickly and did not see the section that you referenced in your initial post, which is why I''m wondering if I pulled the right form. I need to update my name on my passport. Honestly, it hadn''t occurred to me until I saw this post!! So, thank you!

Form DS-5504 is for name changes for passports that were issued less than one year ago.

Form DS-82 (which I linked to above) is for name changes for passports issued one year or more ago.

I edited my post after I realized the difference in these two forms.
Correct, sorry I didn''t differentiate - Form DS-5504 is what I''ve been using as my passport is less than 1 year old. That''s the form that asks for the date of my name change.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 6:26:39 PM
Author: Allison D.
Field reads:
Place of Name Change _________________ (This is usually the city/town in which you filed your marriage license)
Date of Name Change ___ / ___ / ______ (This is usually the date you married)

When you fill in your marriage license (done in advance of wedding), you declare what name you intend to use post-marriage. If you are changing your name, that name becomes effective on the day you marry.

The whole updating your name with SS/DMV/Passport/etc. is merely an update; your name has already changed, and you are fulfilling your requirement to update legal entities that you have changed it. Most of them require a copy of the marriage license because the name change becomes effective with the fulfillment of that license, which is the date you marry.
Thank you, alj!!!!!!

I really wish they would say date/place of marriage instead, then, because my name did not change on my wedding day, you know? Or at least date/place of name change OR marriage, so it would be clear.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Hey Musey! Glad to hear that the paperwork issue is getting settled for you. I just wanted to let you know that, if you are a member and have one nearby, Costco does passport pictures for $5. And the people are generally more pleasant to deal with, too
1.gif
Good luck!

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Walgreens and CVS does them as well. I can''t remember exactly how much they charge, but it''s pretty inexpensive and very quick. Just see the person behind the photo counter.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 10:51:17 AM
Author: idreamofcushions
Walgreens and CVS does them as well. I can''t remember exactly how much they charge, but it''s pretty inexpensive and very quick. Just see the person behind the photo counter.

Date: 5/2/2009 10:31:18 AM
Author: katamari
Hey Musey! Glad to hear that the paperwork issue is getting settled for you. I just wanted to let you know that, if you are a member and have one nearby, Costco does passport pictures for $5. And the people are generally more pleasant to deal with, too
1.gif
Good luck!
Oh, SNAP! Thanks, you guys!! That''s a huge help.

I got my passport on May 7 of last year, so I''m actually cutting it pretty close. Anyone know if I need it postmarked by May 7, or if they have to process it by May 7?

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
This thread just reminded me that I have to change the name on my passport, too. Although this post doesn''t make it sound like a pleasant experience. Ick. Sorry to hear about your troubles, Musey.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Finally some positive reinforcement for my plans to not change my name =)

Seriously though, what I''ve realized is that many of the fields on these "official" forms aren''t really needed/useful. So it doesn''t matter if it was 5/1/08 5/24/08 or 10/1/08 as long as it fits in the year period and you can make an explanation for it. Whoever made up the form in the first place is probably on some government-pension retirement in Florida right now =)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2009 11:50:48 AM
Author: rockzilla
Finally some positive reinforcement for my plans to not change my name =)
Seriously!

I told hubs that if we get divorced, tough cookies - his name is MINE for life because I''m not doing the name change thing again!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 4:20:40 PM

Date: 5/1/2009 4:18:10 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Thanks, Italia
1.gif
It feels good to vent.

I know it''s not this insane for everyone, but I honestly feel as though I''ve hit EVERY possible road bump on EVERY step of the process.
When I went to change my name...I gave up. Secretly (just my DH and I know) I''m still Ashley Maiden Name, legally. The thing is, for me, I had to change all my professional licenses...and that was a nightmare. It''s not that I wasn''t planning on changing my name...I was...but there was always one more reason why I couldn''t (like, booking air line tickets, or something else in my MN). Eventually, it just got pushed to the back burner...and now, almost 2 years later, I think I may have to tackle it again --- but not till the fall.

Anyway...my point is. It is a huge, time consuming task. It''s complicated because you never know where to start...what to do first. Eventually you just feel like "why bother???". So, I get it.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
What a bummer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results