shape
carat
color
clarity

Nail Polish Brands

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Well @Slickk got me going down the path of nail care... but can we start at the fun part? What is your preferred nail polish brand? I'm a bit old school so I'm not talking about the gel trend and never been down that route. I paint my nails myself so would love to hear of alternatives. The brands I've tried are Essie, China Glaze, and OPI. They all seem to perform along the same realms so I generally just go off a sale when I see it. Appreciate the thoughts in advance!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I like all of the quick dry brands I've tried.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am loving Londontown. I bought the milky color. It goes on so nicely, the brush wide enough for one stroke. It lasts for days for me it seems!! It’s my new go to!

I always have OPI clear Nail Envy, both regular and matte formula (that’s nice for natural looking and strength without shine).
When unpolished, I use the OPI Nail Repair and also oil my nails and cuticles (and hands tbh) at least twice daily with jojoba oil (I mixed in some vitamin e oil). I still use oil over polish btw. The cuticles do like that.

If I have a class to set up or gardening to do, I will still sometimes use clear gel at home. The key is that I found an amazing remover called Aliver. The best!!!

That’s my routine because, let’s face it, we’re mostly ring gals here and a nice set of nails make for a more ‘polished’ look with the jewels. :lol:

Last edited:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do my own nails as well. I keep mine short bc I play piano and I really only wear neutrals.

OPI is kind of my gold standard. I still buy Essie but I’ve never been 100% happy with the coverage/number of coats I have to apply. I really like Color Club, and even ORLY which I usually pick up at Sally Beauty Supply when I grab my hair color. (Yes I do my roots myself, too many salon screw-ups.)

I’ve tried Zoya and I love that it’s a healthier alternative but it doesn’t provide the coverage I want in 2 coats. I have to do 3 and it’s just not worth it for me.

I have a drawer full of fun colors my daughter likes to experiment with and that I use on my toes sometimes. Same brands.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I usually use OPI French Manicure Pink as it gives my nails the healthiest glow. So over the total French. Sally Hansen Gel {no UV lite needed} in First Glass {beige-y pink or OPI's Put it in Neutral. Olivia and June {?} was a total waste of money and I threw the bottle out.
No matter what color I use I always top it with Seche Vive. It dries to a gel finish {again not UV} and keeps my nails from breaking.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually use OPI French Manicure Pink as it gives my nails the healthiest glow. So over the total French. Sally Hansen Gel {no UV lite needed} in First Glass {beige-y pink or OPI's Put it in Neutral. Olivia and June {?} was a total waste of money and I threw the bottle out.
No matter what color I use I always top it with Seche Vive. It dries to a gel finish {again not UV} and keeps my nails from breaking.

Seche Vive is sooooo good. Seche Vite is also amazing if you’re just in a rush and want your polish to dry super fast! I think I have 3 bottles of Seche Vive (the blue one, gel -like) going right now!

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Yessss... I'm on the same page with Seche Vite. It was an Amazon find for me as my last Essie top coat ran out. Seche Vite was a little less expensive and worked just as well.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've always loved OPI, especially their special collections. They're so fun, and I love the names! During Covid, I did my own gel nails and used several different brands, depending on the look I wanted. OPI's product was great and lasted a long time! I also liked Madam Glam, especially for cat eye and metallic effects.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I now only have gels once in a blue moon, I’ve been using Vegan Pure, 16 days wear in ‘Mommy’s Smoothie’. It’s a nice neutral colour for times in between red polish.
IMG_1565.jpeg

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Side question on the topic of nail brands and preferences - My big toes always are a bit yellow even though I apply a base coat. Well to make myself feel less gross, it's almost an ombre look from healthy at the cuticles and then 1/2 part of the nail it transitions to the yellowish tone). I suppose it's the culprit of using too many red shades and not letting my nails rest. I generally take off the polish, and then re-apply year long.

Anyone else suffer from this? More base coats needed? Switch from red tones to non-red tones every other time? Or is there such thing as buffing off the top layer of the nail?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used to give my nails a break from polish during the winter, since no one really saw my toes. Here's a thread on staining:

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellowing has very little to do with polish color. Some colors do stain - reds, some blues, etc. But if you use a good basecoat the staining is minimal. The prevailing theory is that it is caused by the nitrocellulose that is the basis of lacquers. That cannot be avoided in any color polish; even sheer / white shades will develop yellowing of the nail underneath.

Independent brands (or "indies") are where all the really fun stuff is at. I have enough nail polish now to probably paint my nails every day for the rest of my life and not repeat a color, and I will say the quality of many of these brands is equal to - or better - than drugstore brands, and often come in more interesting finishes. I love OPI, Essie, etc... but once you've fallen down the rabbit hole of indies, watch your wallet! Some of my favorite brands are Pahlish, Bee's Knees, Wildflower, Polished For Days, and ILNP (among many, many more). Many brands have their own websites. But a good way to get introduced to many different brands are through monthly sales groups. They pick a theme each month, and the makers submit a polish that fits that theme. They are pre-orders, so actual shipping takes place a few weeks later. And repeat every month.

This one starts in 2 days: hellahandmadecreations.com

This one is in the beginning of the month: polishpickup.com

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Yellowing has very little to do with polish color. Some colors do stain - reds, some blues, etc. But if you use a good basecoat the staining is minimal. The prevailing theory is that it is caused by the nitrocellulose that is the basis of lacquers. That cannot be avoided in any color polish; even sheer / white shades will develop yellowing of the nail underneath.

Independent brands (or "indies") are where all the really fun stuff is at. I have enough nail polish now to probably paint my nails every day for the rest of my life and not repeat a color, and I will say the quality of many of these brands is equal to - or better - than drugstore brands, and often come in more interesting finishes. I love OPI, Essie, etc... but once you've fallen down the rabbit hole of indies, watch your wallet! Some of my favorite brands are Pahlish, Bee's Knees, Wildflower, Polished For Days, and ILNP (among many, many more). Many brands have their own websites. But a good way to get introduced to many different brands are through monthly sales groups. They pick a theme each month, and the makers submit a polish that fits that theme. They are pre-orders, so actual shipping takes place a few weeks later. And repeat every month.

This one starts in 2 days: hellahandmadecreations.com

This one is in the beginning of the month: polishpickup.com

Yes, the indie polishes are great! I want to add Potion Polish, Cirque, Mooncat, and Holo Taco to your list. My favorite topcoat is the one from Glisten and Glow, I find that Seche Vite shrinks too much but the G&G one is fast-drying, super shiny, and doesn't shrink on me. Here's a link and sometimes I've also seen it at the monthly sales (which I have yet to purchase from but almost always at least look at!): https://www.glistenandglow.com/product/glisten-glow-top-coat

This is more on nail care, but my nails improved dramatically when I started to use Mavala K+ and a ton of jojoba oil. I have paper thin, bendy nails naturally (not from buffing the top surface or other damage) but that combo has made my nails actually able to grow. My hands are so big that having my nails be a bit longer helps them feel more feminine, which I prefer.

For anyone curious about nitrocellulose, here's a video from a nail tech (The Salon Life) who pays a lot of attention to gentle natural nail care explaining her findings on surface damage and yellowing from nitrocellulose-containing vs nitrocellulose-free polish and not polishing with photo comparisons:

Last edited:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I am also really loving Londontown, particularly their nail concealers. If you liked OPI’s bubble bath, you will really like these. I got a sampler for Christmas and it’s fun to layer various shades. The effect is all subtle and muted, but you can get different enough looks that it keeps me very happy.

My big issue is still with peeling nails. They’re so bad at this point that I’m using polish like a band-aid.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
I am also really loving Londontown, particularly their nail concealers. If you liked OPI’s bubble bath, you will really like these. I got a sampler for Christmas and it’s fun to layer various shades. The effect is all subtle and muted, but you can get different enough looks that it keeps me very happy.

My big issue is still with peeling nails. They’re so bad at this point that I’m using polish like a band-aid.

Not to sound like a broken record, but jojoba oil and Mavala K+ stopped my nails from peeling! Hopefully you figure out what works for you...

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Not to sound like a broken record, but jojoba oil and Mavala K+ stopped my nails from peeling! Hopefully you figure out what works for you...

Just ordered the Mavala. I’ve been using a cuticle cream with jojoba oil and I think it has helped, but once they start peeling it’s a long time to grow out without further damage. Thank you for the recommendation!

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Just ordered the Mavala. I’ve been using a cuticle cream with jojoba oil and I think it has helped, but once they start peeling it’s a long time to grow out without further damage. Thank you for the recommendation!

Oh yes, growing out damaged nails is the worst! After not doing any nail care or using jojoba oil for a while and doing a lot of housework and maintenance on my bicycle I had to basically remove all of the white part to let them recover. I don't have the kind of nails that can just grow in peace!

You can apply the Mavala more often if you don't paint your nails since it's meant to go on the nail surface directly. When I was in recovery mode I used it every 2-3 days for a couple of weeks without any polish, but maintenance is every time I paint my nails so every week or so. But again, my nails are paper thin and soft even when undamaged. I also have baby fine hair (and less of it than most babies!) and I always wondered if it was related. If you have stronger nails that peel, maybe use it only on the peely area and a little below. And I have better luck with plain jojoba oil than with cuticle creams that contain it, personally. I try to use jojoba oil at least every time I wash my hands plus morning and night. I think I really can't use too much, personally, the more the better.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try Nailtiques 2 - it's been a lifesaver! I use it as my basecoat. :)

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yes, growing out damaged nails is the worst! After not doing any nail care or using jojoba oil for a while and doing a lot of housework and maintenance on my bicycle I had to basically remove all of the white part to let them recover. I don't have the kind of nails that can just grow in peace!

You can apply the Mavala more often if you don't paint your nails since it's meant to go on the nail surface directly. When I was in recovery mode I used it every 2-3 days for a couple of weeks without any polish, but maintenance is every time I paint my nails so every week or so. But again, my nails are paper thin and soft even when undamaged. I also have baby fine hair (and less of it than most babies!) and I always wondered if it was related. If you have stronger nails that peel, maybe use it only on the peely area and a little below. And I have better luck with plain jojoba oil than with cuticle creams that contain it, personally. I try to use jojoba oil at least every time I wash my hands plus morning and night. I think I really can't use too much, personally, the more the better.

They are paper thin and peeling like mad at this point. I was trying to go without polish and using that OPI repair mode twice a day, but they keep bending back and peeling more. I gave up and put polish on last night to try and keep them from peeling back farther.

It’s funny what seems to damage them. I lift, and every time I pull my knee sleeves up, no matter how short my nails are, they bend and peel more.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nailtiques 2.............. :)

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
I use only OPI base coat and colour but I prefer Seche Vite topcoat

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock

Well this is the best news that a lazy girl like me wants to hear... there is nothing to do and I don't want to avoid fun red colors! Thank you! Wow I'm scared to check into the "idie" brand of nail polish but please please come back and post some of the ones you've been using if you get a chance. Love me some nail shots and bonus points if there is jewelry too. haha!

However, I think I would like to try Jojoba Oil. I thought it was a brand but after popping it into google, I'm learning it's a type of oil... I wonder how this is different from hair oil (my other post in hangout).

Any recommendations on brands or it's all about the same as long as it is 100% pure? The most purchases/reviews are from a brand called Cliganic. However Amazon's overall pick is a brand call Kate Blanc Cosmetics.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Well this is the best news that a lazy girl like me wants to hear... there is nothing to do and I don't want to avoid fun red colors! Thank you! Wow I'm scared to check into the "idie" brand of nail polish but please please come back and post some of the ones you've been using if you get a chance. Love me some nail shots and bonus points if there is jewelry too. haha!

However, I think I would like to try Jojoba Oil. I thought it was a brand but after popping it into google, I'm learning it's a type of oil... I wonder how this is different from hair oil (my other post in hangout).

Any recommendations on brands or it's all about the same as long as it is 100% pure? The most purchases/reviews are from a brand called Cliganic. However Amazon's overall pick is a brand call Kate Blanc Cosmetics.

I use the Cliganic from Amazon! Your hair oil might have jojoba in it but the argument for jojoba is that it's the most structurally similar oil to human sebum and that it's small enough to actually absorb into the skin and nail plate. No clue if that's true or not, but it does absorb more than like an olive oil would and again made it so I could finally grow my nails past the tips of my fingers. My nails aren't really remarkable still but they were a mess before!

Here are a couple of photos with some jewelry that also show off the nail polish :)

Holo Taco:
1713195431295.png

Potion Polish:
1713195562895.png
Mooncat:
1713195678890.png
Swamp Gloss:
1713195812704.png

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
I use the Cliganic from Amazon! Your hair oil might have jojoba in it but the argument for jojoba is that it's the most structurally similar oil to human sebum and that it's small enough to actually absorb into the skin and nail plate. No clue if that's true or not, but it does absorb more than like an olive oil would and again made it so I could finally grow my nails past the tips of my fingers. My nails aren't really remarkable still but they were a mess before!

Here are a couple of photos with some jewelry that also show off the nail polish :)

Holo Taco:
1713195431295.png

Potion Polish:
1713195562895.png
Mooncat:
1713195678890.png
Swamp Gloss:
1713195812704.png

Appreciate the feedback on the brand you use! Very helpful and afirming.

Also the pictures are all gorgeous. Thank you for sharing!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results