shape
carat
color
clarity

My WF ring rendering is here - would love some feedback from PSers!

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
My revised CAD from Whiteflash is here! I didn't post the initial CAD on PS because a few of my initial requests were not included in it. The design is of a 14K white gold band with six claw prongs in the 11/1/3/5/9 o'clock positions with a flat band, no tapering near the head. The WF designer has assured me that the prongs would be claw shaped and as delicate as possible in the final product.

updatedCAD.png

Any thoughts or feedback? Do you think the size of the center stone goes well with size of the side stones?

And what do you guy think of the "shoulders" next to the three stones?
My friend recommended them as they look great on her ring, though hers is of two pears flanking a center RB. I think I might ask WF to make it "dip down" closer to the side stones (i.e. have a more abrupt transition or make them "smaller shoulders"). Right now I think they're too wide. Here's a (poor) picture of hers that she sent me. I like the way they looks in her photo but haven't noticed them in other rings so would love to hear some thoughts. I've put arrows to show you guys the area that I mean:

shoulders.png

Thank you in advance! :wavey:And Happy Halloween :evil2:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the proportion of centre to side stones. Re the shoulders, the way your friends ones swoop up makes sense because they look like they’re the prong/bar holding the tip of her side stones in place. I don’t know if you need that since you have rounds as side stones and they’ve got prongs on them already.
I think I would ask for that just to gently curve away from the prongs like my terrible picture.

Attachments

• 1AFF16BE-6B5D-4D34-AE8A-CB2D212790CC.jpeg
    1AFF16BE-6B5D-4D34-AE8A-CB2D212790CC.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 68

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
What size is the center and smaller side stones? Did you have any particular ratio in mind or just whatever looks aesthetically pleasing? I see that the center on your friend's ring is set in four prongs (or am I mistaken), any reason why you chose six prongs for your center? I totally get wanting to secure the beautiful stone that you'll be putting in there but I feel like six prongs may be overkill considering the center stone will also be sitting in a basket. I was just thinking that your beautiful center would get more light without the coverage (however minimal) of those two additional prongs. But I definitely understand wanting to make sure it's secure. I love that your band is flat and not tapered. It looks very solid. Do you know what the estimated gold weight is of the ring? I personally prefer to also have side stones along the shank, but I think in this case what you have is just perfect. I saw a somewhat similar design on JA website that I was very close to picking---was going to ask them to modify with pave on the shank. i think this looks very lovely and would love to see the finished result!

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
I like the proportion of centre to side stones. Re the shoulders, the way your friends ones swoop up makes sense because they look like they’re the prong/bar holding the tip of her side stones in place. I don’t know if you need that since you have rounds as side stones and they’ve got prongs on them already.
I think I would ask for that just to gently curve away from the prongs like my terrible picture.

Thank you for your feedback! I'm undecided between the two still - I might compromise with a very small shoulder before it curves away. I think it might look elegant?

What size is the center and smaller side stones? Did you have any particular ratio in mind or just whatever looks aesthetically pleasing? I see that the center on your friend's ring is set in four prongs (or am I mistaken), any reason why you chose six prongs for your center? I totally get wanting to secure the beautiful stone that you'll be putting in there but I feel like six prongs may be overkill considering the center stone will also be sitting in a basket. I was just thinking that your beautiful center would get more light without the coverage (however minimal) of those two additional prongs. But I definitely understand wanting to make sure it's secure. I love that your band is flat and not tapered. It looks very solid. Do you know what the estimated gold weight is of the ring? I personally prefer to also have side stones along the shank, but I think in this case what you have is just perfect. I saw a somewhat similar design on JA website that I was very close to picking---was going to ask them to modify with pave on the shank. i think this looks very lovely and would love to see the finished result!

Thanks for such a detailed response! I like the flat band too as it was my partner's idea =)2. The band will be 14K white gold the center stone is 0.933 ct (~6.26mm) and the side stones are 0.02 ct each (~1.75mm each). I didn't have a particular ratio in mind as long as the center wasn't too small or too big in comparison, I just like the overall style. I saw the design on JA too, and user @KobiD posted a beautiful one here in this thread! But I figured it was easiest to get my setting done by WF for convenience. A pave is a bit blingy for my lifestyle haha. Also my fingers aren't that big (size 4.75) so the current stones will cover most of the width of my fingers, so a pave would be minimally visible.

I was a little undecided on the prongs but ultimately I chose six prongs primarily due to my occupation - I work in a hospital in direct patient care and have heard stories about the prongs getting caught on sheets and clothes. My poor colleague lost her diamond in the sheets when the sheets snagged on one of her prongs! Luckily her ring insurance covered it. It also doesn't help that I am very clumsy and have poor spatial awareness, so the more secure the better? I'm just hoping that it won't look like too much metal when it arrives!

L

lydial

Hi:) I like the design/style very much. But I think there are some areas to consider. Forgive my impertinence if you weren’t looking for feedback...

1-Not sure about height of accents compared to center. Center should be maybe a hair higher? Accents are tipped sort of dramatically.
2-The flat part of the shoulder looks strange to me, it should be smoothed.
3-I think your stone will be swallowed by the unnecessary 6 prongs; seeeing the diamond structure from the side is part of the fun of owning a diamond. If you do not want to snag the prongs I would not get pointed prongs, go for tabs or dots whatever.

Also: Stuller has a similar ring where the accent stones are seated in a slightly curved prong, and the center is in 4 prongs. With the band inside the 4 prongs you will not need 6 prongs, also under 2.5 ct I think 6 prongs with accents is not a preferred look aesthetically. So, here is the Stuller comparison:

IMO this is a balanced setting and it would save you a lot of money compared to a custom setting. Believe me, custom sounds better but sometimes the ratios are off, the setting may just look goofy. I have owned a number of custom settings... But if you are settled on a custom setting it just gives you a comparison.

And here are some others. I actually like the bezel side stones But it wasn’t what you were after.

Fancy one: https://www.stuller.com/products/bu...ion&recommendationId=202183#/mounting-options

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get rid of the small shoulders on the shank leading up to the 3 side stones (like @foxinsox and @lydia1121 suggested).

I would not raise the center stone considering your profession. I do not think 6 prongs will overshadow your almost 1 carat center stone.

I prefer your gallery area much more than the stuller galleries however, if you were working from the start I would probably just go with a
stuller setting instead of custom (doesnt matter now that you're close to having the design completed).

Good luck...post pics when you get it!

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
Thanks @lydia1121 and @tyty333 for your feedback and your candor. The Stuller setting is lovely and I wish I had seen it! Unfortunately we didn't look for separate settings primarily as we wanted the convenience of having the diamond set by the same place we are purchasing from and also due to lack of knowledge and experience.

It seems like a unanimous decision by PSers to remove the shoulders, so I will do that. The angling of the melee stones is my personal preference as I find the stones visually a bit too flat otherwise together.

@lydia1121, you mentioned, " With the band inside the 4 prongs you will not need 6 prongs..." Would you mind elaborating? I'm assuming you mean that the band adds extra security by "cupping" the stone.

Now I'm very much fluctuating between four prongs or six prongs! Especially as I foresee needing to wear gloves for the rest of my career because the pandemic will likely have made it mandatory permanently, so I may not really even wear my ER at work as intended. I'll have to think about it over the weekend and also see what others have to say this weekend before I respond to WF.

L

lydial

@lydia1121, you mentioned, " With the band inside the 4 prongs you will not need 6 prongs..." Would you mind elaborating? I'm assuming you mean that the band adds extra security by "cupping" the stone.

@cakeeatingcat Yes, the stone will be secure with 4 prongs due to the inner band. Done correctly your design should allow a good view from the side as-is though. Follow your gut!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t care for the shoulders at all.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your feedback! I'm undecided between the two still - I might compromise with a very small shoulder before it curves away. I think it might look elegant?

Thanks for such a detailed response! I like the flat band too as it was my partner's idea =)2. The band will be 14K white gold the center stone is 0.933 ct (~6.26mm) and the side stones are 0.02 ct each (~1.75mm each). I didn't have a particular ratio in mind as long as the center wasn't too small or too big in comparison, I just like the overall style. I saw the design on JA too, and user @KobiD posted a beautiful one here in this thread! But I figured it was easiest to get my setting done by WF for convenience. A pave is a bit blingy for my lifestyle haha. Also my fingers aren't that big (size 4.75) so the current stones will cover most of the width of my fingers, so a pave would be minimally visible.

I was a little undecided on the prongs but ultimately I chose six prongs primarily due to my occupation - I work in a hospital in direct patient care and have heard stories about the prongs getting caught on sheets and clothes. My poor colleague lost her diamond in the sheets when the sheets snagged on one of her prongs! Luckily her ring insurance covered it. It also doesn't help that I am very clumsy and have poor spatial awareness, so the more secure the better? I'm just hoping that it won't look like too much metal when it arrives!

Got it. I think your side stone to center stone ratio is good. You want that center stone to shine!!! Given your profession it totally makes sense to have 6 prongs for security. Even though I'm sure you''ll have insurance, why even have to think about losing your stone if you can secure it with additional prongs. And also understand about side stones along the shank being too blingy. I consider myself a "shiny" type of gal and want diamonds coming from every orifice!!! But I totally get that everyone's not like me. I think this ring will be so beautiful with such understated elegance. I love it!

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who chimed in this weekend :wavey:.

The shoulders are going but I think I'm going to stick with six prongs. I agree that four prongs would allow the stone to shine from the sides, but after going through a plethora of ring photos, I realized that I have always been drawn to six prong ring designs in general.

I also brought it up with my father over lunch today, and he likes six prongs because the number four is unlucky in our culture (lol :roll:). Not sure how much weight I should put into his opinion though, as this is the same man who told me that sleeping with my hair wet would turn me into a snake (???)... but I'll take it as a sign! :lol:

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
My ring photos are in! The actual ring itself is stuck at customs and I likely won't be able to pick it up until Friday at the earliest.

I'm a bit worried though - the claw prongs are chunkier than I expected... I had asked for them as petite and delicate as possible. Could it just be because of zoomed in the image is or the angle of the photo? What do you all think? :confused2:

eringtrio1.jpg
eringtrio2.jpg

Estrella185

Rough_Rock
Looks like it might be the angle but I get what you’re saying they don’t particularly look like delicate claw prongs. Hopefully you get it soon so you can see if it’s truly to your liking. I’m waiting on my ring too and specifically requested defined claw prongs lol from what I’ve read on here it seems like that can be difficult to achieve depending on who is doing the job.

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
Looks like it might be the angle but I get what you’re saying they don’t particularly look like delicate claw prongs. Hopefully you get it soon so you can see if it’s truly to your liking. I’m waiting on my ring too and specifically requested defined claw prongs lol from what I’ve read on here it seems like that can be difficult to achieve depending on who is doing the job.

Thanks, I'm glad it's not just me. It was the first thing I noticed when I opened the images. I'm feeling disappointed right now, but I'm really hoping they look better in person...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results