shape
carat
color
clarity

My standards are too high : (

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

restheo

Rough_Rock
First of all, hello to everyone here, I''m a new poster and long-time lurker.

In a sense, I''m a LIW: I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years, two of which has been us living together. We''ve talked about marriage and been ring shopping, but I''m not in a huge rush, as I''m just graduating from college this year and we plan on moving soon. So I''m not looking for a diamond ring.

The issue I''m posting about here is one I actually feel bad about--and I''m sure I''d get blasted on most other forums for it--but since you guys like jewelry enough to be on a forum about it, I''m hoping you''ll understand.

Now, about 2 months after we started dating, my boyfriend (for my birthday) bought me these little hoop earrings...which wouldn''t be bad if they were just normal hoops. But they were hollow, had strange etchings on them, and had little splashes of what looked like painted-on sections of white, rose, and yellow gold. I didn''t say anything bad about it, but thanked him, and put them on. After that day, I put them away and haven''t worn them since. My boyfriend would ask me about them and finally, one day, I admitted that I just didn''t like them, mainly because they were of poor quality. He told me he had spent a decent amount of money on them, and I felt even worse...because I knew he''d been ripped off.

It all boils down to this: I would really like to receive a piece of jewelry from my boyfriend (not just randomly, as a gift perhaps on my birthday or christmas) , but in these three years, he hasn''t done so. I grew up in a family where jewelry was important because it was the primary gift given during the holidays. As a result, all my jewelry has personal significance attached to it. However, it does make me feel a bit sad, because I don''t have anything from my boyfriend that I can wear, as a reminder of him.

I also grew up with a mother that had very high standards for material things. Her favorite motto was "a poor man can only afford the best". We weren''t rich, but my mother often designed her own jewelry and always shopped around to find the best bang for her buck, and never settled for "junk". That mentality was definitely passed down to me. It''s not that I want the most expensive things...I just want high quality, unique craftsmanship. If my boyfriend could find a piece of jewelry for $50 that met that standard, I''d think that was awesome!
I know that the incident at the beginning of the relationship has put him off, but since then, I''ve tried showing him some things that I like/what my tastes are/what makes a piece of jewelry worth the money.

The problem is, he says that my jewelry tastes are sort of random, and that I''ll like one thing but not another thing that is similar to it. Also, I''m not a fan of "jewelry fads" like the "journey pendant" or those circular ring pendants or really elaborate rings with lots of diamond chips in them, so that tends to make shopping at regular jewelry stores like Zales or Kay or whatever there is in the local mall difficult. I tend to like vintage-inspired items, and he just doesn''t like that aesthetic. And, more than anything, I think he is just terrified of buying me something and me telling him that I don''t like it. He even told me that he purchased me an emerald ring from a jewelry store and then returned it the next day because he was so afraid I''d tell him I didn''t like it. And the worst part is, when he described it to me, it seemed like I really wouldn''t have liked it
7.gif

At this point though, I''d almost settle for anything, just to have something from him...but I understand where he''s coming from, too. I just don''t want him to waste his money on junk.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I''m just being selfish and stuck up and awful, but I was raised to look for high-quality in jewelry. I''d rather have one nice thing than 5 not-so-nice things. My bf told me that if I had lower standards that by now he''d have gotten me 3-5 pieces of jewelry throughout the course of our relationship
7.gif

Also, can anyone possibly suggest some vendors or jewelry shops that sell high-quality, unique items for decent prices?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I'm pretty sure your standards are just right.
28.gif

I think you've got to figure out what your preference is - more pieces, or higher quality. At this time in your life, you can't get both. Eventually maybe you will be. But your BF is respecting your wishes that he not get you pieces that you feel like are a waste of money (plus, I'd imagine there is some amount of wounded ego on his part - it's hard to spend money on a gift only to be told it's ugly and you get ripped off). You've got a guy that listens, which is awesome.

I think you just need to re-visit what your expectations are from gifts and your BF. Figure out what is important, and start new traditions with him. Jewelry doesn't have to be THE gift every time, you know? If he saves up and gives you a good piece for just big events - 5 year anni, engagement, wedding, etc. - then you can increase the frequency as your budgets increase.

For m 21st birthday, my BF got me a silver Tiffany's necklace that I adore (even though if you read through any of my posts here, I've come to feel that Tiff's is a rip-off for quite a lot of things). It means so much to me that he thought of something I'd like and saved up and got it for me. In the 2 years that I've had it, I've probably had it off of my neck for less than a week (in total). If that's something you can deal with, tell him that. Jewelry once every few years is still more than many women get.

And welcome to PS!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
The problem is that he doesn''t have confidence he will select something you''ll like.

My husband knows that my tastes in jewelry are really specific, too. He determined that the element of surprise in gifting wasn''t as important as selecting something I''d like, so when he wants to buy jewelry for me now, he involves me in helping him select it.

He feels good because I wear what he buys, which means a lot to him.

restheo

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your response!

I know about the quality vs frequency thing. I absolutely agree--I''d much rather have one nice thing than a bunch of stuff that was just average or passable. But I guess after three years...I''d kinda like something about now! lol

He has given me good presents in the past, none of which were jewelry...and he''s a fairly generous person...just not a jewelry person! His mom raised him with the exact opposite mentality as my mom raised me with(anything is good...just get the cheapest thing you can find), and while I''ve been converting him over to the "poor man can only afford to buy the best (because he can only afford to buy it once!)" side, it''s a bit harder with jewelry. Probably because it''s not something that is "useful" per se.

A while back, when we were talking about the jewelry thing, I told him that, instead of buying me jewelry on the holidays, he just write down the sum of money he might''ve spent (maybe 100 dollars, maybe 200) on a piece of paper. At the end of a few years, he should take out that piece of paper and total the amount not spent...and then set that as his budget for a nicer piece of jewelry for me. He agreed that that was a good idea, but it hasn''t happened as of yet, and I''m pretty sure he hasn''t been looking.

I guess I''m just frustrated. He knows that it''s something I want but he hasn''t made the effort about it. I know I''m difficult, but that would make it even more special. It would be incredible if he just got me one piece of jewelry that I absolutely loved, even if it was something small.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Maybe you could try showing him what you like/don t like? Perhaps, when you are shopping you could show him some jewelery you like (perhaps in the window of a store you like), and explain why you like it? Or in passing tell him why you like certain pieces you already have. I did this with my BF, and it worked a treat. After a while he would point out something and say ''thats your style, right?''. He got to like it. And even though we don t have a huge amount of money (both students), he always buys me jewelry for xmas and bdays, and now I generally like it. At the start it was not the same way- he was scared of jewelry shops and sales assistants, so he got me gift tokens and books.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 4:01:26 PM
Author: restheo
Thanks so much for your response!

I know about the quality vs frequency thing. I absolutely agree--I''d much rather have one nice thing than a bunch of stuff that was just average or passable. But I guess after three years...I''d kinda like something about now! lol

He has given me good presents in the past, none of which were jewelry...and he''s a fairly generous person...just not a jewelry person! His mom raised him with the exact opposite mentality as my mom raised me with(anything is good...just get the cheapest thing you can find), and while I''ve been converting him over to the ''poor man can only afford to buy the best (because he can only afford to buy it once!)'' side, it''s a bit harder with jewelry. Probably because it''s not something that is ''useful'' per se.

A while back, when we were talking about the jewelry thing, I told him that, instead of buying me jewelry on the holidays, he just write down the sum of money he might''ve spent (maybe 100 dollars, maybe 200) on a piece of paper. At the end of a few years, he should take out that piece of paper and total the amount not spent...and then set that as his budget for a nicer piece of jewelry for me. He agreed that that was a good idea, but it hasn''t happened as of yet, and I''m pretty sure he hasn''t been looking.

I guess I''m just frustrated. He knows that it''s something I want but he hasn''t made the effort about it. I know I''m difficult, but that would make it even more special. It would be incredible if he just got me one piece of jewelry that I absolutely loved, even if it was something small.

Then make the selection process easier on him! What''s more important, the gift or the surprise? If it''s the gift, have fun looking with him! If it''s the surprise, then you''ve got to suck it up and realize that he might not get you something that''s perfect. There are shade of grey in this, of course, but those are the two extremes. Personally, other than the first gift of jewelry BF gave me (a bracelet for our first Valentine''s Day), he''s gotten a general sense of what I''d like, and had me look at several pieces and tell him what I like and what I don''t, and he''s picked from there. Maybe something like that could work?

OR you could always start collecting coloured stones and have him help you pick settings or work with a local jeweler to set them. That''s fun!

restheo

Rough_Rock
You guys are right! It seems easy/logical, right?

But not really. Maybe I''m even more difficult than most...because in most of the jewelry stores that we go into, it''s very hard for me to find something that I *love*. Mostly because the area that we live in is a college town, and as a result the surrounding jewelry stores are ones like Zales, Kay, stuff like that. I''ve noticed that they tend to carry a lot of "fad" items (journey pendants, weird heart designs, etc), or make their jewelry in a way that I guess makes it cheaper for people to buy (ie, using a bunch of small stones instead of just one normal sized stone) --but which I really don''t like that much. A lot of the jewelry in these stores is repetitive and kind of generic. So when I go into these stores, I have to TRY HARD to find something I like.

So I guess it''s an issue of resources, too...since I''ve definitely tried this! for example, we went diamond ring shopping, and the whole mall just had regular, plain solitaire or three stone settings or those super elaborate settings with TONS of diamonds all around them in wavy patterns (which is not for me). We finally were able to find one store that had a decent selection of tacori settings in there...and found some stuff we both liked. But then again, that was the most expensive store in the mall, and I know my boyfriend is probably too intimidated by those price tags to go in there alone. Again, it''s not about brandname or money spent...but about quality and uniqueness.

So I guess it''s a combination of issues, my bf being intimidated by high prices/my tastes/not knowing how to pick jewelry in general and me just being picky.

restheo

Rough_Rock
I really like your idea about picking stones and find settings for them! I don''t really know how to go about that, maybe my mom could help me figure that out.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi restheo

With the advent of mass production, I think most people's standards are too low - especialy when it comes to jewelry.
I've adopted the "save up for the best" mentlity in my own life and it has brought me much peice of mind - If I don't go for the highest quality, I end up going and buying it anyway later -I've spent too much money on second bests!.

I'm sorry about your boyfriend jewelry problem!

Could you pick out a selection of different peices - either online, or at a B&M and them have him choose the one he likes the most to surprise you with? This you ld let him learn your style, and still give him control over the specific peice and the budget.

An alternative is to find specific jewelers who consistantly design peices to your level of quality, and then point your man at them to choose something for you.

Etsy has lots of independant jewelers with a variety of skiils and styles of jewelry, (even 24kt gold jewelry!)

It might help to educate your boyfriend on what makes well-made jewellery is the best, or what are specific details you look for in good jewellery, and avoid in low quality jewellery, so he knows how you think.

Alternatively you may have to buy your own jewelry (Happy women buy their own flowers and diamonds).
Just because the jewelry tradition in your parent's relationship, doesn't mean that it will be a tradition in your relationship. As a couple you may develop new and exciting gift giving traditions!

Good luck!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I love Etsy. I buy online, so I've yet to walk into a Kay's or anything like that. Plus you get to really dream. You can also send your stones out to artisans (many of us use Etsy once we have stones) or jewelers that carry Adwar settings since what stock stuff most jewelers can order in is the same stuff they carry. I love building my collection of stones (I only own 4 right now, but I love them). BF jokingly calls them my "pet rock collection."

Trust me, you'll fit right in here. Many of us are super picky about our jewelry, and won't shop at maul stores. I really think online shopping is going to be your best friend - there is such a variety that you don't need to worry, and since so many vendors have great return policies you don't have to stress out about what happens if it's not right. Just return it!

ETA: Check out Julia Kay Taylor. She's pretty popular around here.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/25/2009 4:58:05 PM
Author: HopeDream
Hi restheo

With the advent of mass production, I think most people''s standards are too low - especialy when it comes to jewelry.
I''ve adopted the ''save up for the best'' mentlity in my own life and it has brought me much peice of mind - If I don''t go for the highest quality, I end up going and buying it anyway later -I''ve spent too much money on second bests!.

I''m sorry about your boyfriend jewelry problem!

Could you pick out a selection of different peices - either online, or at a B&M and them have him choose the one he likes the most to surprise you with? This you ld let him learn your style, and still give him control over the specific peice and the budget.

An alternative is to find specific jewelers who consistantly design peices to your level of quality, and then point your man at them to choose something for you.

Etsy has lots of independant jewelers with a variety of skiils and styles of jewelry, (even 24kt gold jewelry!)

It might help to educate your boyfriend on what makes well-made jewellery is the best, or what are specific details you look for in good jewellery, and avoid in low quality jewellery, so he knows how you think.

Alternatively you may have to buy your own jewelry (Happy women buy their own flowers and diamonds).
Just because the jewelry tradition in your parent''s relationship, doesn''t mean that it will be a tradition in your relationship. As a couple you may develop new and exciting gift giving traditions!

Good luck!
+1 to this.

Find a selection of things you like. Show them to him. (send him links in an e-mail, print pictures with where to find them, etc.)

This is what B did for the necklace he got me a couple of years ago. We went to a bunch of different places and looked at stuff together. I''d point some out. He''d point some out. I''d say what I did/didn''t like.
He went back to one of the stores later that day and bought one.
We saw so many that day that I can''t remember if he showed it to me or not. But it is beautiful. Just my style. I get so many compliments on it.

That way he learns your style, you get what you want, and you keep the surprise part too.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandmother had a solution too.

She''d go looking at stuff with her sister. Point out a bunch of stuff she liked. Point out her favorites. Just have a fun day of looking and shopping together.

Then her sister would take my grandfather out and show him a few of the favorites and see what he thought. (and usually point to one and tell him to buy that one)

Of course the sister could never keep a secret, but Grandma was never disappointed....

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
I''m pretty particular too, especially after finding PS. So, my bf let me choose my e-ring. When he proposes will be a surprise, but not the actual ring. It was a win win situation.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Do NOT feel bad for having high standards. I certainly do, and my fiance appreciates it!

There is *nothing* worse than your boyfriend paying too much for something you don't even want. You're doing him a favor by guiding him.

I always pick my own gifts and he pays. For Christmas, I wanted a watch but if I told him that, he'd go and pick up some hideous thing that costs way too much. So I said, "I want a CARTIER watch." Men do not understand hints. They really don't. And 99% don't mind you spelling things out for them because it saves them the extra work.

The first piece of jewelry my fiance ever bought me was a terrible sterling silver ring from Tiffany. I don't like sterling silver (for myself personally, although I like it on others), and most of all, I don't like sterling silver that costs hundreds of dollars!! We're moved from that onto my 2.5 carat solitaire engagement ring, so take that as evidence that men can be trained! ;-) Sorry to sound so mercenary, but really, what's the point of him senselessly spending money on something you don't even want?

It all really depends on how sentimental you and your boyfriend are. My boyfriend and I are probably the world's least romantic couple ever, so me simply telling him what it is I want works out well. He doesn't have to put in too much time or effort into shopping, which he hates, and I always end up with what I want. This is the perfect system for us. Is this something your boyfriend could handle?

While I am in awe of women who have husbands and boyfriends who always seem to pick the right gifts on their own, the reality is that most men probably don't share the same taste as their girlfriends', nor should they be expected to. They can't read minds, after all, so sometimes some strong hinting is needed.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m pretty picky about jewelery too, and my hubby knows it, haha.

I am a big fan of vintage and hand made jewelery, as well as precision cut gems. My personal solution has been to make up a Wish List around holiday times, with links to certain pieces of jewelery or specific gems, ranging from $20 to $200, and just give him the links. Most of them are etsy pieces, or links to gems I''ve been eyeing from my favorite cutters.

This way he can buy me something he knows I like, but still surprise me since I don''t know what he''ll pick.
1.gif
And he knows I won''t care if he gets the $20 item or the $200. And it makes life easy for him since he has a convenient list to pick from, with links, so he doesn''t spend too much time shopping and stressing. And I know he wasn'' ripped off! It''s a solution that I think works well for us, so it might work for you guys?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 4:01:20 PM
Author: Allison D.
The problem is that he doesn''t have confidence he will select something you''ll like.

My husband knows that my tastes in jewelry are really specific, too. He determined that the element of surprise in gifting wasn''t as important as selecting something I''d like, so when he wants to buy jewelry for me now, he involves me in helping him select it.

He feels good because I wear what he buys, which means a lot to him.

Ditto. BF got me a very pretty ring from Zales when we first started dating, but I don''t wear it often now. A year ago, he wanted to get me an anniversary present, and I had discovered PS, so he asked me to pick it out. I ended up getting my Richard Homer sapphire ring, which I absolutely adore, and wear everyday. We''ve found a way to make it work - BF doesn''t mind that I pick out what I want, because he wants me to love it rather than spending money on something I don''t like. I''m perfectly fine with our method lacking the element of surprise. I''d rather give up the few minutes of surprise and instead have a piece that I treasure and wear for years and years.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 4:39:35 PM
I really like your idea about picking stones and find settings for them! I don''t really know how to go about that, maybe my mom could help me figure that out.

Check out the Colored Stones section - that''s how I got started a year ago. I think it''s so much fun finding that perfect stone, and then finding or designing a setting to go with it. It makes it hard for me to buy anything preset now - I like the process!

restheo

Rough_Rock
Well, I talked to him about it.

I told him about going to look at things together (both on the internet and possibly in places besides ZALES), Picking stones and setting them with other jewelers, or looking at Etsy for unique pieces...and he kind of got mad. He said that now he couldn''t do any of those things because they wouldn''t be a "surprise" and he wouldn''t want me to expect or anticipate what he''d be giving me. He goes: "Just so you know, now that you mentioned Etsy, I won''t EVER get you anything from Etsy." He says that now I won''t be getting any jewelry at all for a while, because I will be expecting it from him when he does give it to me, and it won''t be a surprise.
33.gif

He made a joke about giving me a locket with him making a stupid face on it, and I told him I actually wouldn''t mind if he gave me a locket with a picture of him IN it, and he went "You see! I can never do that now!"

I guess the surprise really means a lot to him. I guess that also means that, when we finally get engaged, I won''t get the tacori setting that we both said we liked
7.gif

I do feel a bit silly/selfish talking about this. He went on and on talking about money...when I emphasized to him that I didn''t have to have something RIGHT NOW, but it was just a suggestion for the holidays or our upcoming anniversary. Maybe I should just give up and realize that he''s not going to ever give me any jewelry. I''ll just have to buy it for myself.

UnderBlue

Shiny_Rock
I think you''re pretty darn lucky to have gotten jewelery from a guy you had only been dating for 2 months!
3.gif
You do have to look at it from his perspective: Imagine if you thought you''d found him a great present only to learn he didn''t like it, was never going to use it and thought it was "poor quality." You''d be hurt and questioning your present-selecting abilities, too.

I think the best advice has been showing a friend/family member some things you like and then he can go to that person when he wants to get you a gift or for you to just show him some stuff you like and he can decide what to get you from that selection. Half of the rings I like are on Etsy and I''m thrilled at how much more affordable the prices seem to be.

I''m pretty picky about the styles I like too and my boyfriend has said the same kinds of things about not knowing what kind of jewelery I''d even like. For our anniversary we went shopping together and we picked out a ring for him and an amber pendant for me, and it doesn''t make it any less special or nice.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 1:45:49 AM

I told him about going to look at things together (both on the internet and possibly in places besides ZALES), Picking stones and setting them with other jewelers, or looking at Etsy for unique pieces...and he kind of got mad. He said that now he couldn''t do any of those things because they wouldn''t be a ''surprise'' and he wouldn''t want me to expect or anticipate what he''d be giving me. He goes: ''Just so you know, now that you mentioned Etsy, I won''t EVER get you anything from Etsy.'' He says that now I won''t be getting any jewelry at all for a while, because I will be expecting it from him when he does give it to me, and it won''t be a surprise.
33.gif

He made a joke about giving me a locket with him making a stupid face on it, and I told him I actually wouldn''t mind if he gave me a locket with a picture of him IN it, and he went ''You see! I can never do that now!''

I guess the surprise really means a lot to him. I guess that also means that, when we finally get engaged, I won''t get the tacori setting that we both said we liked
7.gif

I do feel a bit silly/selfish talking about this. He went on and on talking about money...when I emphasized to him that I didn''t have to have something RIGHT NOW, but it was just a suggestion for the holidays or our upcoming anniversary. Maybe I should just give up and realize that he''s not going to ever give me any jewelry. I''ll just have to buy it for myself.

Well, if he can''t come up with this on his own AND he wants to make you happy, how is that going to work then?!
33.gif
Telepathy?!

Also, him saying that "if I had lower standards that by now he''d have gotten me 3-5 pieces of jewelry throughout the course of our relationship", well sorry, but that''s just stupid. No woman should ever have to apologize for having a fine taste in jewelry (and in my book "fine" doesn''t equal "expensive"!). That''s essentially him saying that he won''t buy you any jewelry because your standarts are not low enough. Again,
33.gif

Ok, I agree, surprise is nice and all, but to me it all boils down to this: what is more important? You opening that little box, having absolutely no idea what''s in it and thinking: "Oh my, such a surprise! And... Lord, that''s horrendous!", then hiding it on the bottom of you drawer and never taking it out again; or helping him choose your gift, knowing exactly what''s inside the box, and also knowing that you love it and you’re going to wear it all the time. Surprise lasts about two seconds, a beautiful jewelry piece of great quality is forever.
3.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock

I told him about going to look at things together (both on the internet and possibly in places besides ZALES), Picking stones and setting them with other jewelers, or looking at Etsy for unique pieces...and he kind of got mad. He said that now he couldn''t do any of those things because they wouldn''t be a ''surprise'' and he wouldn''t want me to expect or anticipate what he''d be giving me. He goes: ''Just so you know, now that you mentioned Etsy, I won''t EVER get you anything from Etsy.'' He says that now I won''t be getting any jewelry at all for a while, because I will be expecting it from him when he does give it to me, and it won''t be a surprise.
33.gif

He made a joke about giving me a locket with him making a stupid face on it, and I told him I actually wouldn''t mind if he gave me a locket with a picture of him IN it, and he went ''You see! I can never do that now!''

7.gif

Ummm, honey, I know you love him, but he kind of sounds like a jerk right now.

Screw it. He can get you other presents, buy yourself some jewelry! It doesn''t sparkle any less just because you paid for it yourself. And that way you can know you''re getting something you LOVE, and you can wear it with pride.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Oh! How about if he buys you a STONE (colored gemstone or diamond) - and you two design or decide on a setting TOGETHER? Then it''d mean a whole lot more, right?
35.gif

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Restheo,

I am sorry you and your BF are having this issue. I am also super picky about jewelry, so I understand where you are coming from. My DH knows very little about jewelry and knows I am picky, so he doesn''t usually buy me jewelry unless it''s someting specific I have pointed out. However, he also like to surprise me, so what I do is randomly send him things that I see that I like, and he saves them for future reference. So I might have sent him 5 things over the course of a year, and he''ll surprise me with one of them for a birthday or Christmas (or he might get something totally different and non-jewelry related - which is fun too.) It might be a designer piece or it might be a piece of costume jewelry, I give him lots of room to work with.

I do think that you have to be sensitive to his budget though. If his budget is $200, saying "I want a Cartier watch" doesn''t work (this is just an example). I can also see why he may not like the idea of not giving a gift for every occasion and just writing down an amount he owes you so that you can get the Cartier watch 10 holidays later . My DH would not want to buy me a gift only once every five years. There''s nothing wrong with this approach if both parties agree, but it is a gift, so the giver has to be ok with the idea as well. If there is something you really want that''s way out of his budget, the best thing to do is probably to save up to buy it for yourself.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

33.gif

7.gif

How OLD is this guy ... because he sounds like a ten year old right now. Just because you said Etsy that means I''ll NEVER get you something from ETSY. Next time he says Porche tell him now you can NEVER get him a Porche. Jeez! Craziness.

Just so you know -- he''s telling you his "joy" of GIVING (surprise) is more important than your "joy" in receiving something you want. Does that sound very generous? His intentions in gift giving seem to be just to make HIMSELF happy - without regard to whether you LIKE the gift or not.

Pay attention to these types of tendencies and this kind of SELF ABSORBTION, SELFISHNESS -- its what you''ll be dealing with for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Gah.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Based on what you've said here, in my opinion, your boyfriend sounds very immature...and in this situation, kind of mean.
40.gif

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

33.gif

7.gif

I''m sorry, but I think he''s being a little stubborn about all this, I understand his insecurity about buying you jewelry and his concern about price. And it sounds like you understand it as well. But he could certainly meet you half-way and at least look at some jewelry pieces you like to get a better understanding of your taste in jewelry. In his defense maybe his feelings are still a little hurt from you not liking the earrings, so he''s just super-sensitve to the whole issue of jewelry right now. Maybe in time he''ll be more willing to get input from you as to what kind of jewelry you like, but I think it''s best to back off for now.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 12:44:28 PM
Author: decodelighted

33.gif

7.gif

How OLD is this guy ... because he sounds like a ten year old right now. Just because you said Etsy that means I''ll NEVER get you something from ETSY. Next time he says Porche tell him now you can NEVER get him a Porche. Jeez! Craziness.

Just so you know -- he''s telling you his ''joy'' of GIVING (surprise) is more important than your ''joy'' in receiving something you want. Does that sound very generous? His intentions in gift giving seem to be just to make HIMSELF happy - without regard to whether you LIKE the gift or not.

Pay attention to these types of tendencies and this kind of SELF ABSORBTION, SELFISHNESS -- its what you''ll be dealing with for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Gah.

Ditto deco. That is one of the most ridiculous things I''ve ever heard. I''d worry less about getting nice jewelry gifts from this guy and more about whether or not you should be with someone so petty and immature.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does he REALIZE how many jewelers there are on Etsy?! I have about 35 of them saved on my computer and there is NO WAY I could ever keep track of all of their inventory! And those are only 35 of the ones I''ve saved!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds to me like he just doesn''t want to give you jewelry. Period.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guys like this "rule" by intimidation. Their point: Better not ask for anything or else you won''t get anything. Of course they count on you "failing" and not realizing they were never going to "get you anything" ANYWAY.
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results