shape
carat
color
clarity

My Son''s Ipod and Wallet Were Stolen Today at School

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
My son learned a hard lesson today.

While he was at track practice, he put his backpack in an open locker room. He couldn''t get to his normal locker due to a basketball game in progress. Meanwhile someone rifled through his stuff and took his wallet (with $20-$30 and a free Blockbuster rental certificate) along with his new Ipod video. He got the wallet and Ipod for Chanukah. Luckily his cell phone was elsewhere, so that didn''t get stolen.

I talked to the track coach. He said it was the 3rd Ipod stolen this year. I was really suprised to see that this stuff happens, given the wealthy demographic of the student body. The coach said it was probably some bored kids. I wish they communicated the previous thefts to the parents, so we could have warned our kids to be especially careful. I think I have the email list for the track parents, so I will probably email them on my own. I am going to school tomorrow to file a police report. I am also going to report this to Mac, so if the unit is ever in for repair/replacement hopefully they will be caught.

The thing I wonder about is whether the parents of the theif would wonder how their kid got a new Ipod, without the box, software, etc. If my kids ever showed up with strange new expensive stuff, I would question them HARD about it. Then I would get my husband (attorney and who is very skilled at depositions) to do the cross.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Claudia,
That is such a shame. Happens all the time sorry to say. Yes if one of my kids came home with a new Ipod I would question them until they fessed up. But not all parents are as deligent. Ughh. That stinks so sorry.
14.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry! But that is why iPods shouldn''t be taken to school IMO. Theft is so common unfortunately. My fiance''s mother works in a high school and hears from several students a day that either an ipod, cell phone, or digital camera was stolen.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so surprised that kids are allowed to have ipods/cell phones in school. Aren''t they kind of distracting?

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
My 16 year old bonus son has had 2 cell phone stolen this year. One time it was stolen right out of his pocket! It''s just nuts!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry CG

njc

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry this happened. I think contacting Apple is a great idea.

I would want to bring up the issue with the school that had your son been able to get to the proper locker, this wouldnt have happened. Being an athlete in HS I had a special locker and if the room was locked, i usually tracked someone down to unlock it.

Roz

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/24/2006 6:19:01 PM
Author:crafftygrrl
I talked to the track coach. He said it was the 3rd Ipod stolen this year. I was really suprised to see that this stuff happens, given the wealthy demographic of the student body.

I went to exactly one of these schools. It''s not that your parents couldn''t afford a new one, but really whether they fancy upgrading one when they bought you the IPOD photo last fall
14.gif

So there may well have been an ''envy'' motivation.

Why would contacting apple do anything? Unless you have the serial number? I don''t think they can block it from connecting to ITunes.

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Since I last posted, I have heard from other parents from the track team. Another girl had her whole backpack, with her Ipod, etc. stolen yesterday, too. At least my son has his books and homework.

I filed a police report today. Later on this week, I''ll go to the Mac store, report the theft and buy a new one.

HOWEVER, we told both of our kids that they should not bring their Ipods to school. This Ipod is the last one to be replaced by us--gratis. If my kids bring the Ipods to school and lose them from now on, they are on their own.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
There has been a flurry of thefts in my daughter''s basketball locker room at school during practice and games. I''ve told her to use her locker for items she would like to keep, even if it is an inconveniance. BTW her uniform shorts were taken a couple of weeks ago and she and the other victim have to ride the bench til they are reordered.
38.gif

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 5:49:13 PM
Author: Roz
Date: 1/24/2006 6:19:01 PM

Author:crafftygrrl

I talked to the track coach. He said it was the 3rd Ipod stolen this year. I was really suprised to see that this stuff happens, given the wealthy demographic of the student body.

I went to exactly one of these schools. It''s not that your parents couldn''t afford a new one, but really whether they fancy upgrading one when they bought you the IPOD photo last fall

14.gif

So there may well have been an ''envy'' motivation.

Why would contacting apple do anything? Unless you have the serial number? I don''t think they can block it from connecting to ITunes.

I have the serial number. I filed it with the police report.

By registering the Ipod as stolen, if the thief goes to the Mac Store (if there''s a problem), Mac will know about it and call the police and/or confiscate it. FYI, Mac has been known to replace faulty Ipods for free. Kids know this.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I just saw this. I am so sorry. Just a couple of weks ago my daughter''s pocketbook was stolen. The weird thing is that no one took anything (and she was stupid enough to have cash and all the gift cards she had received for Christmas in there!!). WHY? Why would she take those things to school? Of what possible use could they be? It''s not as if it were a cell phone or an iPod which could, at least, be used!

In her case two girls threw her purse under another lunch table as a prank. Another girl brought it back to her locker to be helpful, but didn''t think of calling my daughter to tell her she had done that. Endless phone calls between us and the school and my daughter and these girls took place. What a mess!

Yesterday her retainer was thrown out by that day''s "captain" (who cleans the lunch table) because she had left it wrapped in a napkin (next to her purse, which she had left unguarded while she visited at another table).

I am starting to feel hopeless about her ever gaining common sense!!!

Deb

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF, sorry to hear your daughter''s been having troubles too! I have a suggestion on the retainer issue (I remember being in school and always hearing how kids'' were having to dig through the trash in the cafeteria to retrieve their retainers because they''d do the same thing your daughter does--wrap it up in a napkin!). I''m sure "retainer cases," the plastic ones, aren''t cool, but what if you got one and bling''d it out with those Swarovski crystals so it was more of a fashion statement? Maybe then she''d be more inclined to use a case and make sure it didn''t get thrown away? Just a thought.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2006 12:07:53 PM
Author: monarch64
AGBF, sorry to hear your daughter''s been having troubles too! I have a suggestion on the retainer issue (I remember being in school and always hearing how kids'' were having to dig through the trash in the cafeteria to retrieve their retainers because they''d do the same thing your daughter does--wrap it up in a napkin!). I''m sure ''retainer cases,'' the plastic ones, aren''t cool, but what if you got one and bling''d it out with those Swarovski crystals so it was more of a fashion statement? Maybe then she''d be more inclined to use a case and make sure it didn''t get thrown away? Just a thought.
Oh gosh, we looked through a bunch of garbage cans when my brother had his! He couldn''t hang on to one for anything, and the dog even chewed up one! I had one as well, but I was 19/20 and apparently I was more careful since I had paid for my orthodontic work myself!

But, back to the IPOD! I''m going to let my 12-yr old read this. He''s so upset that we won''t let him bring his Nano to school! We got him a cell this year since he''s further away at Middle School this year, but they aren''t allowed to use it inside the buildings at school! And, he got the hand-me-down phone that has a big crack through the screen, so I don''t think anyone would want to steal it anyways!

But, so far 3 scooters, his new gym shoes (out of the locker), and 2 hoodies have been stolen. This is another community where the kids aren''t hurting for things either! I would never let him "find" and keep something of value. It would have to be turned in to the police, or listed in the "found" ads in the local paper which are almost always free!

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Our car was broken into - window smashed at the mall last weekend -all for just an old ipod mini. Two hundred dollars in repairs, and an hour with police - from something they might be able to sell for $30 bucks on the street.
29.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results