shape
carat
color
clarity

my sister''s diamond pendant...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are on vacation in the mountains for a few days with some of my family members. My sister just had an anniversary and she was anxious to show me her new upgraded diamond pendant. She said it is just over a carat. So I think to myself, I''m sure it isn''t certified and I''m sure she won''t know much about it, so I asked her what the color is. She said she didn''t know!!!! After being on here for awhile, it totally amazes me that people go into jewelry stores daily and buy a diamond knowing NOTHING about it other than they like it visually! Basically her criteria was a certain size and she asked for NO specs on the diamond! (Her husband had actually given her a different pendant as the anniversary gift, but she told him she''d really prefer to wear her diamond one all the time, so he told her to return the other pendant and just upgrade the diamond one.) Oh, and the stone was eye clean and appeared yellow, but it was set in YG bezel, so I don''t know whether the yellow was from the diamond or a reflection of the setting.

So in reality, when we get these fabulous AGS0/H&A stones, few people outside PS will have any idea about the quality of our diamonds!

On another note, my husband will leave tomorrow and with him leaves my internet access, so I''ll be having a little PS withdrawal the next few days!
35.gif

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
Yes, it does seem like much of the outside world is oblivious to diamond buying education... although you would think that most people would do a little research before buying something for thousands of dollars!!! But PS is a little different from the rest of the world - I have a 1ct ring that many people think is huge, even in SoCal, but that''s probably considered average sized to most PSers who suffer from DSS. All I know is I''m glad I taught myself about diamonds and cuts before we purchased, instead of letting the salespeople "teach" me about it!!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
The internet has really amplified the ability for people to educate themselves about diamonds if they wish to do so. Though most of the outside world is not yet aware, things have developed dramatically over the last decade. Before 1996 no major cut grade existed, and the HCA and ideal-scope have only been around since 2001. Now both major labs in the US are grading cut for rounds, fancy cut grading exists, the available tools have multiplied and the presence of a forum like PS allows knowledge and opinions to become widespread.

Hey DS, two words... Internet Cafe.
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2006 12:00:22 AM
Author:diamondseeker2006
We are on vacation in the mountains for a few days with some of my family members. My sister just had an anniversary and she was anxious to show me her new upgraded diamond pendant. She said it is just over a carat. So I think to myself, I''m sure it isn''t certified and I''m sure she won''t know much about it, so I asked her what the color is. She said she didn''t know!!!! After being on here for awhile, it totally amazes me that people go into jewelry stores daily and buy a diamond knowing NOTHING about it other than they like it visually! Basically her criteria was a certain size and she asked for NO specs on the diamond! (Her husband had actually given her a different pendant as the anniversary gift, but she told him she''d really prefer to wear her diamond one all the time, so he told her to return the other pendant and just upgrade the diamond one.) Oh, and the stone was eye clean and appeared yellow, but it was set in YG bezel, so I don''t know whether the yellow was from the diamond or a reflection of the setting.

So in reality, when we get these fabulous AGS0/H&A stones, few people outside PS will have any idea about the quality of our diamonds!

On another note, my husband will leave tomorrow and with him leaves my internet access, so I''ll be having a little PS withdrawal the next few days!
35.gif
I''m a little surprised she doesn''t know anything about it, since she bought it. But I have a SIL whose hubby has bought her several diamond items. She knows nothing about any of them. Not that I quizzed her, lol. But she made a comment in passing when I was discussing my stone with her that let me know that.

I think most women (outside of PS) really don''t care about anything but size. It''s funny. Before I got my upgrade, I was wearing a huge $20 CZ I had bought to take on vacations. So far, that ring has received more random compliments from strangers than my ideal 1.41. (BTW, I always disclosed it was fake, they all thought it was real) And it has got to be because of the size, because there''s NO comparison on it''s beauty.
30.gif

And enjoy those mountains, I''m jealous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ocbride2007, that is the thing I don''t understand..it seems like you''d research anything you''re spending thousands of dollars on! We use consumer reports to help select electronics and appliances, etc. It just makes good sense to do research before buying diamonds as well!

John, I did not realize that cut grading was so recent! Now I don''t feel so bad about my original diamond! You''re right..the internet is a window to the whole world. All the information needed is there.

Ellen, I used to have pair of CZ studs and I''d get compliments, too. But like you, I always told that they were CZ''s! It just felt dishonest not to! But it does seem that size is the only factor most people notice, then maybe color if the color is bad! I am looking for a diamond close in size to your 1.41. Have you posted any pictures of it on PS yet? (The mountains are beautiful!)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to mention even if your sis did ask for specs on the stone who knows how accurate they would have been. If the pendant came from a maul store it would have probably been called an "H/SI1" just like every other maul stone seems to be called, so gathering whatever "info" might have been available to your sister would have been pointless anyway.

(Please note this post is in no way saying anything against your sister, I'm just making an observation about the seemingly across-the-board H/SI1-ness of all maul stones, graded by "our very own gemologist using our very strictest standards"!)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
DS I totally agree, most people don''t know anything about diamonds and could care less. I was writing a check at a business the other day and they had those terrific little pendant lights that make diamonds sparkle so nicely. The receptionist noticed my ring and said "your diamonds are so sparkly the CLARITY must be excellent"! I also have a friend who recently upgraded her ring to what is obviously a big honking princess cut that is on the rectangular side. Before I could get a close up look I asked her if it was a princess or a radiant cut diamond and she had no idea! And this was a very expensive ring in an elaborate platinum setting!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know just what you mean. I know many people that are clueless about their stones and such. I also can relate about the internet withdrawl. We lost our internet early last evening and still don''t have it back yet due to a bad storm. Right now I am at hubby''s office playing catch up.
11.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2006 10:50:43 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Ellen, I used to have pair of CZ studs and I''d get compliments, too. But like you, I always told that they were CZ''s! It just felt dishonest not to! But it does seem that size is the only factor most people notice, then maybe color if the color is bad! I am looking for a diamond close in size to your 1.41. Have you posted any pictures of it on PS yet? (The mountains are beautiful!)
Yeah, I''m way too honest, I could never lie about the ring.

I''m still figuring out taking good pictures. I want to be able to really show my baby off, so I won''t be posting pics for a bit. I got a couple really good ones quite by accident, and it created a monster.
9.gif

What mountains are you in?

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
The thing is, this doesn''t just apply to diamonds. My friend and I went do a diamond vendor who says that so many people don''t know about diamond quality and that too many buyers were uneducated. He got so high and mighty that his wife brought him down a peg by mentioning the car he just bought and how he now realises that he got ripped off, saying he may know about diamonds but knew nothing about cars.

Look at the houses we buy - honestly, how many of you paid to have a termite inspector to come in to see if there was any damage, or tested for rising damp or blocked plumbing that could cost hundreds (even thousands) to fix, checked the roof tiles to see what sort of condition they were in, called in an electrician to check the wiring........

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who really had NO interest in diamonds a few years ago, I never took notice of anything about people''s e-rings other than "oh hers is pretty big". I could differentiate a princess from a round, but beyond that, I was clueless. One exception: a former coworker had one of the most beautiful rings I''d ever seen, and I clearly remember her saying "I think my fiance called it an Asscher?" as I stared at it in awe.

But now I absolutely LOVE spotting interesting bling... or better yet, stumbling upon somebody who actually knows what they''re talking about in regards to color, cut, shapes, etc. I think the funniest thing is when somebody comments that my e-ring looks particularly sparkly and white... and follows with "whoa, look at mine compared to yours... I really should get this cleaned". Cleaning certainly helps, but I''m not sure people realize that cut helps even more!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2006 7:06:49 PM
Author: ephemery1

*snipped*

I think the funniest thing is when somebody comments that my e-ring looks particularly sparkly and white... and follows with ''whoa, look at mine compared to yours... I really should get this cleaned''. Cleaning certainly helps, but I''m not sure people realize that cut helps even more!
No, I don''t think they do.

I recently started a new job, and a very sweet young girl who works there grabbed my hand and remarked on how beautiful my ring was. And then she said the same thing, that she really should clean hers, at least once a week.

I just smiled and said yes, that would help. This is part of what I actually am finding awkward about owning such a well cut stone. How does one go about trying to educate people, without coming off like a know it all. It''s not enough to say, it''s the cut. They won''t get it.

Or, I could just not bother. But, I want everyone to be able to own one of these, they''re fun!
30.gif

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2006 11:03:12 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Not to mention even if your sis did ask for specs on the stone who knows how accurate they would have been. If the pendant came from a maul store it would have probably been called an ''H/SI1'' just like every other maul stone seems to be called, so gathering whatever ''info'' might have been available to your sister would have been pointless anyway.

(Please note this post is in no way saying anything against your sister, I''m just making an observation about the seemingly across-the-board H/SI1-ness of all maul stones, graded by ''our very own gemologist using our very strictest standards''!)
HaHa! So true . . .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, everybody! I just got home, and like Kaleigh will be playing catch-up for awhile! (We were in the NC mountains not too far from Blowing Rock). Not only did I not have internet after my husband left, but my cell phone wouldn''t work either! They did have satellite TV but no local stations, so we were out of touch with the news as well.

I am close to deciding on my own stone...I still have uncertainty about the size, though. I wish I weren''t so indecisive!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2006 2:48:26 PM
Hi, everybody! I just got home, and like Kaleigh will be playing catch-up for awhile! (We were in the NC mountains not too far from Blowing Rock). Not only did I not have internet after my husband left, but my cell phone wouldn't work either! They did have satellite TV but no local stations, so we were out of touch with the news as well.

I am close to deciding on my own stone...I still have uncertainty about the size, though. I wish I weren't so indecisive!
Just get the bigger one!
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2006 3:26:20 PM
Author: Sundial

Date: 7/6/2006 2:48:26 PM
Hi, everybody! I just got home, and like Kaleigh will be playing catch-up for awhile! (We were in the NC mountains not too far from Blowing Rock). Not only did I not have internet after my husband left, but my cell phone wouldn''t work either! They did have satellite TV but no local stations, so we were out of touch with the news as well.

I am close to deciding on my own stone...I still have uncertainty about the size, though. I wish I weren''t so indecisive!
Just get the bigger one!
9.gif
Haha, Sundial! I was emailing Jonathan this afternoon and told him I''d probably post my two current options. But I also told him I already knew which one would get the votes around here! Lol! I''ll probably post them on Rocky Talk later.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results