JRB

Rough_Rock
Some roughs ive been collecting over the last few months

Total weight 50cts. 10 Grams = 10000 milligrams /200 =50 Cts

IMG_20110818_214854.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very nice! Are you planning to keep them as specimens, cut them, set them ...?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are they?

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
Neat, what do you plan to do with them?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Are those diamonds??

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
What kind of rough are they?

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
that must be a huge scale...

JRB

Rough_Rock
Not sure yet what i'm going to do with them.

Maybe keep a few and get couple cut as one is 14 ct

The only scale I had in grams :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll take that big one on the right...please ship it to BGD, have him cut it, wrap it and send it on to me. (He already
has my address). :bigsmile:

JRB

Rough_Rock
**edited by moderator. Please read our policies. NO sales allowed here**

JRB

Rough_Rock
Couple of videos of my stones

**second reminder. please read our policies**

Sorry didnt realise

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm excited to see what you do with the rough stones.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1313874309|2995198 said:

Me too, especially now that the plan to sell it on Pricescope has blow up in her/his face.

Expecting to profit from reselling rough diamonds absurd, unless you are in the uuuuuuuuuuuuuuber-exclusive IN-crowd.

JRB

Rough_Rock
The comment about make me an offer is a joke. Iam based in the UK and keeping a couple and having one cut for my daughter and my partner. Kenny

Any profit from selling roughs anyone can do, You see them on ebay all the time. If you get the right stone at the right price you can have it cut for £100 a carat and but a nice stone for a few hundred pounds.

kenny|1313874497|2995201 said:

Me too, especially now that the plan to sell it on Pricescope has blow up in her/his face.

Expecting to profit from reselling rough diamonds absurd, unless you are in the uuuuuuuuuuuuuuber-exclusive IN-crowd.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JRB|1313880872|2995261 said:
Any profit from selling roughs anyone can do, You see them on ebay all the time. If you get the right stone at the right price you can have it cut for £100 a carat and but a nice stone for a few hundred pounds.

kenny|1313874497|2995201 said:

you purchased these on Ebay?? how do you know that they are diamonds?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did you purchase these?
How did you acquire all the necessary paperwork for them? Before or after purchase?
I don't know how it works, is it different if you are a private party as opposed to a business? Indulge another curious reader :))

JRB

Rough_Rock
I bought these over in antwerp

Regarding ebay I said you can buy roughs on ebay from as little as a few hundred pounds. This is a good way to get into the rough diamond industry.

And regarding KPC

These days KPC stands for nothing. It was ment to be about not funding war etc. NOW KPC means have you paid the tax on the stones in the country. This doesnt mean the stones have not been mined by villages and collected by nasty people

Villages collect

then

collected by nasty people

then

taken to genuine source

then

taxes paid & kpc issued

then

stones shipped.

Stones like this have always been around and will still be around for years to come as the flow of diamonds is slowed down by one company and one company alone. Thats why the price of diamonds is so high. If you were to let the true amount be released the price would be alot lower.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m glad you’re happy with your purchase but I do have a few corrections of your facts.

The company’ that you’re concerned about, which I’m assuming is DeBeers, is under a 40% market share right now. A 40% global market share of ANYTHING is nothing to sneeze at but it’s hardly the worldwide domination that you describe. They do not control the flow of diamonds in any meaningful way, they haven’t for many many years, and they couldn’t even if they wanted to.

Antwerp is NOT a diamond source. That’s a trading and cutting center that largely came about by the actions of the very company you’re complaining about. There are certainly some fine dealers there but, thanks to FedEx and similar services, that’s really no closer to the ‘source’ than anywhere else on the planet. There’s nothing about buying there that’s any better or worse than most of the rest of the world other than the possibility that the dealer you want to work with happens to want to live there. It IS a pretty nice place.

Ebay isn’t a diamond source either. That’s just an advertising venue made up of individual sellers promoting their own goods. It’s a comparatively expensive way to sell by the way. Buying rough on ebay and hiring a local cuter to work on it is ABSOLUTELY NOT a viable business venture. Cutting and selling diamonds is a tough business that’s full with risks and costs that you aren’t expecting. The reason to sell the stones in rough form to amateurs on ebay is precicely because they aren’t suitable for cutting. You’re cutter knows this. All of his/her competitors know it. I suspect YOU know it. That’s why the seller put it there and that’s why the insiders leave it alone. Outside of mineral collectors an others who plan to keep it in it’s natural state, this is a 100% sucker deal.

Buy a diamond specimen on ebay or from a merchant in Antwerp if you want one, they’re cool little things, but don’t leap from that to feeling that you’ve outsmarted the men in black and found a path to easy money by doing this. It simply isn’t so. Diamond mining doesn’t work that way, cutting doesn’t work that way, and selling things doesn’t work that way.

JRB

Rough_Rock
Never said ebay was a way to get into the diamond business. Its just a good way to get roughs at an OK price to start gettings stones and a collection. Alot of the stones on ebay are rubbish, however there are alot which are good to. Its hit or miss alot of the time.

The cutters I use are based in Hatton Gardens in the UK. Finding a good cutter is worth a million

I had to go direct to a main seller from a mine which were not cheap at all but you get what you pay for

denverappraiser|1313931567|2995573 said:
I’m glad you’re happy with your purchase but I do have a few corrections of your facts.

The company’ that you’re concerned about, which I’m assuming is DeBeers, is under a 40% market share right now. A 40% global market share of ANYTHING is nothing to sneeze at but it’s hardly the worldwide domination that you describe. They do not control the flow of diamonds in any meaningful way, they haven’t for many many years, and they couldn’t even if they wanted to.

Antwerp is NOT a diamond source. That’s a trading and cutting center that largely came about by the actions of the very company you’re complaining about. There are certainly some fine dealers there but, thanks to FedEx and similar services, that’s really no closer to the ‘source’ than anywhere else on the planet. There’s nothing about buying there that’s any better or worse than most of the rest of the world other than the possibility that the dealer you want to work with happens to want to live there. It IS a pretty nice place.

Ebay isn’t a diamond source either. That’s just an advertising venue made up of individual sellers promoting their own goods. It’s a comparatively expensive way to sell by the way. Buying rough on ebay and hiring a local cuter to work on it is ABSOLUTELY NOT a viable business venture. Cutting and selling diamonds is a tough business that’s full with risks and costs that you aren’t expecting. The reason to sell the stones in rough form to amateurs on ebay is precicely because they aren’t suitable for cutting. You’re cutter knows this. All of his/her competitors know it. I suspect YOU know it. That’s why the seller put it there and that’s why the insiders leave it alone. Outside of mineral collectors an others who plan to keep it in it’s natural state, this is a 100% sucker deal.

Buy a diamond specimen on ebay or from a merchant in Antwerp if you want one, they’re cool little things, but don’t leap from that to feeling that you’ve outsmarted the men in black and found a path to easy money by doing this. It simply isn’t so. Diamond mining doesn’t work that way, cutting doesn’t work that way, and selling things doesn’t work that way.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I chimed in because the tone of your posts changed from buiding and showing off a collection to a business venture. Rough diamonds are cool and by all means collect them if you like but buyers should not go into this expecting to ever see their money again (rather like most collections by the way). The pitfalls are numerous and you've just listed a few. There ARE people who make a living at this, and there are a few who even make a pretty good living at it, but it ain't easy, it ain't for the unskilled or timid, and sheep get slaughtered.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results