shape
carat
color
clarity

My Proposal, Need Opinions!

kemilyon

Rough_Rock
Her birthday is April 17th (Sunday). We are taking a trip that weekend to stay in a secluded cabin on a bluff, overlooking a scenic river and national forrest. Although we have talked about marriage in the past, she has no idea I am going to propose. I will be taking a single wrapped gift, an ivory leather jewelry box from pottery barn, about medium in size (link below). I also have a charm bracelet with 1 charm, the letter C, the first initial of my last name. So which of the ideas below sounds best, for surprise factor and just overall??

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/mckenna-medium-jewelry-box/?pkey=e%7Cjewelry%2Bbox%7C18%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C9&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Sku_Top_Marketing_Rule-_-

A) Make it really simple, and quick. Bracelet is in the box alone when she opens it, I watch for the confusion to set in on her face (letter C charm?), then do my thing having the ring on person.

B) If you looked at the link you can see when the box is open everything is in plain view, except for a leather snap pouch in the center that can be taken out and opened. This option I fill the plain view box with plastic/costume jewelry and tell her she has to search for the special piece (which will be the bracelet inside the leather pouch). There is also a little cloth pouch that could hold the bracelet, and this could go in the leather pouch along with more random jewelry, if I wanted her to have to sift through that too. What I like about this idea is that when I ask her to search for the special piece of jewelry she may expect to find an E-ring, but she won't (and then be let down maybe, then confused by the "C", then elated again). Again in this scenario I have the ring and do my thing once she finds the bracelet.

C) Buy her a nice piece of jewelry, something I know she wants like a sapphire pendant or earrings, and have it on display as soon as she opens it. Put the bracelet as well as the key to the jewelry box in that cloth pouch inside the other compartment, and if she doesn't find it on her own, ask her where the key is to the jewelry box. Then do my thing, again I have the ring with me.

D) Somehow incorporate the E-ring in the box. Maybe give her the nice pendant/necklace on display when she opens it, and let her find both the ring and the key in the cloth pouch? Then I would take the ring and do my thing. (And give her the bracelet afterward?)

What do you all think?? Any better ideas than these? I just can't make up my mind, it's driving me crazy!!

aileron

Rough_Rock
Right off the bat, let me say that I'm a guy. So, take my opinion for what it's worth. :wink2:

I like all of your ideas, but I'd go with option A. It is almost guaranteed to run smoothly and will not require any additional prompting from you. So, she opens the gift, sees the box and opens it...the bracelet is there. She is completely confused and focused and reliant upon you to make it all make sense (rather than being distracted by trying to find something tangible). That is your moment to shine!

Here are a couple of thoughts -

You can tell her that you bought a nice jewelry box and that particular charm bracelet because they should both last a lifetime (insert romantic proposal speech here). Or, if she's the joking type, tell her you bought the bracelet because you didn't want the box to sit empty since you know she isn't about to put this [engagement ring] in there (insert romantic proposal speech here).

Good luck and congratulations!

kemilyon

Rough_Rock
aileron|1300891309|2878166 said:
Right off the bat, let me say that I'm a guy. So, take my opinion for what it's worth. :wink2:

I like all of your ideas, but I'd go with option A. It is almost guaranteed to run smoothly and will not require any additional prompting from you. So, she opens the gift, sees the box and opens it...the bracelet is there. She is completely confused and focused and reliant upon you to make it all make sense (rather than being distracted by trying to find something tangible). That is your moment to shine!

Here are a couple of thoughts -

You can tell her that you bought a nice jewelry box and that particular charm bracelet because they should both last a lifetime (insert romantic proposal speech here). Or, if she's the joking type, tell her you bought the bracelet because you didn't want the box to sit empty since you know she isn't about to put this [engagement ring] in there (insert romantic proposal speech here).

Good luck and congratulations!

Great ideas, I think "A" really is the way to go. Thanks man!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I like the first idea.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results