Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

My Orchids

Rhd3

Rough_Rock
Beautiful! I bet they bring you so much joy. I used to love going to local orchid shows to admire all of the lovely varieties. I find staring at them calming. They’re like living Rorschach tests! I have one on my dining room table (although not in bloom at the moment).

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These photos are from the Fall. I also grow rare aroids and included a Queen Anthurium. I also grow carnivorous plants, lithops, and gesneriads if anyone is interested! I am a Horticulturalist and nothing makes me happier than growing.

Attachments

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
wow awesome!!!!!
I used to love them(still do I guess) but now they set off my allergies so bad I can not be around them.

That is pretty rare because orchids don't have pollen that flies around like other plants - they have two large pollinia - 2 big balls that insects carry away. I wonder if it was something else? Ferns are really bad for allergies with their spores. I love them too!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is pretty rare because orchids don't have pollen that flies around like other plants - they have two large pollinia - 2 big balls that insects carry away. I wonder if it was something else? Ferns are really bad for allergies with their spores. I love them too!
Not sure I just know someone gave one to my wifey and as soon as I walked in the door I had a reaction so we had to move it outdoors and air out the house.

Alex T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are AMAZINGLY beautiful! I am also an orchid grower, but am currently down to only 5 plants. One of them has been in flower constantly since February last year :appl:

On your montage of pictures, can you please tell me what type the small white flowers with purple tips is, second row down in the middle? It's just goegeous!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a complete noob. Do you mind putting the name type for each? I think I recognize a paph, cymbidium, dancing lady?

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! There are quite a few Phalaenopsis in there as well as Paphiopedilum, Cattleya, Oncidium, Masdevallia, Miltonia, Brassavola and some jewel orchids in these photos. I have a couple 3 tier light stands in the basement with t5 ho or leds. I have an IG plant page but am not sure about safety? Do you post your IG pages here? What did you think about safety? @chrono ? @NKOTB ?

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These are AMAZINGLY beautiful! I am also an orchid grower, but am currently down to only 5 plants. One of them has been in flower constantly since February last year :appl:

On your montage of pictures, can you please tell me what type the small white flowers with purple tips is, second row down in the middle? It's just goegeous!

Thank you! I believe you are talking about Phal. Tzu Chiang Sapphire!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!
I Love this!

I admire you for your passion ... and what a worthy object for passion!

As I look through these I'm inspired to acquire some to use as a muse for my photography, and then paint them in watercolor.
Orchids really are a special gift from nature.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ilovegemstones I've been cautious as of late and have not posted pictures of gems in a long while. I had the mod remove some pictures as well. No, I would not share any instagram or anything that might link one frequented forum to another. But that's just me and my privacy concerns.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI: I LOVE your grow-op!!!!:P2 You are talented!

cheers--Sharon

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ilovegemstones I've been cautious as of late and have not posted pictures of gems in a long while. I had the mod remove some pictures as well. No, I would not share any instagram or anything that might link one frequented forum to another. But that's just me and my privacy concerns.

Thank you @chrono I feel the same way.

Alex T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful! Any tips on how to get the plant to rebloom??

Patience! I always trim the stem down to just above the bottom node. Half the time it will re-grow off to the side & the other half of the time, they seem to reset & start another new flower shoot.

I am absolutely no expert, but I have kept orchids for donkeys years & this is what I find. Even the dormant ones that don't throw out a stem for years, will suddenly surprise me with one as long as I have kept the plant in good health.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore orchids! They were DH's and my main wedding flower. The only thing I *truly* cared about for my wedding was that there be an arch-type thingy at the end of the aisle with hanging orchids. The rest was "meh, whatever is fine", but that was non-negotiable!

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So beautiful! Any tips on how to get the plant to rebloom??
A 10 degree drop in temp at night triggers blooming. Do this for about 3 weeks. Maybe near a cooler window? For grocery story type Phalaenopsis you can cut the spike all the way off for a bigger display at the next flowering after the 3 weeks of cooler temp, or you can cut it above a node and it will make a smaller secondary spike sooner. Also ensure it is getting enough light and weak fertilizer.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.