shape
carat
color
clarity

My most hated question...

JaymeC

Rough_Rock
Hey ladies,

I am sure that we have all had this question, and it makes me crazy! The "when are you getting married?" or the "why aren't you married yet?" My SO and I have lived together for 4.5 years, own a house together and have a life together. For us the truth of the matter was that marriage wasn't a priority for us until recently, so we focused on other things. Now I know my Mr is saving up to purchase an engagement ring. But for others the situation is much more complex, perhaps they have relationship issues or financial troubles. It makes me nuts that people think that they can ask these probing questions and expect an answer. All I say when I get this question is: "I haven't been asked yet". How do you guys deal with this situation?

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
I answer with the exact same line you do! I also hate the statement "why buy the cow when he can get the milk for free". I'm sure it's true in some situatuions but certainly not every one.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
My friend who has been with her boyfriend for 7 years always responds " im never getting married..if I get the craving for a cake and a wedding gown i just go out and throw a huge party and buy myself a nice dress."

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know which of the Ladies said it first, but I simply loved this answer. When someone asks you reply with "Why should *I* buy the cow if *I'm* getting the milk for free". Everyone laughs, and you get to change the subject :)

titian23

Shiny_Rock
Maebelle - I love your answer, I'm going to try that! I usually say that he needs to ask me first! But then I end up getting a really snarky " oooooh someone's ready!" which just annoys me so much :angryfire:

I wish people would just mind their own business!

dandyandi

Rough_Rock
I've been asked that by some of our close friends in a joking manner, but not often enough for it to be annoying yet. It's probably because I haven't been a LIW for very long... I'm sure once it gets closer to when I think he might propose, I'll feel the same as you all do!

And to the "why buy the cow" question, I'll definitely use Maebelle's response! Haha. But seriously, it is so rude for people to go around saying things like that! So nosy! Thank goodness I haven't encountered that situation, I really don't think I would be able to reply in a classy way :razz:

audball

Ideal_Rock
maebelle|1305805362|2925554 said:
I don't know which of the Ladies said it first, but I simply loved this answer. When someone asks you reply with "Why should *I* buy the cow if *I'm* getting the milk for free". Everyone laughs, and you get to change the subject :)

I prefer the retort: "Why buy the pig when all you want is a little sausage?" .... :naughty:

JaymeC

Rough_Rock
audball|1305901351|2926514 said:

I prefer the retort: "Why buy the pig when all you want is a little sausage?" .... :naughty:

I am so going to use this! Thanks for sharing, I knew you all would come up with some gems!

audball

Ideal_Rock
JaymeC|1305934934|2926933 said:

I am so going to use this! Thanks for sharing, I knew you all would come up with some gems!
I'm so glad you liked it! I first heard it from my sister in an email forward. I thought it was perfect for this type of situation.

Goodluck!

tannet

Shiny_Rock
My bf and I have been together for 10 years and are pretty much in the same situation as you, JaymeC. We live like a married couple, treat each other as if we're married, but it's just not on paper and there are no rings to show off. We have an e-ring now, but he hasn't proposed yet.

Anyway, we used to get those types of questions all the time and it became really annoying. I wish I had known the pig & sausage line for all those times people made the cow & milk comment!! :angryfire: At first I would tell people we would get married when we're ready to have kids. Eventually, some of my relatives stopped asking about marriage and started asking about babies!! :errrr: Now I just tell them we're not in a rush, I don't want to waste money on a party that will last for only one night and it wouldn't make a difference anyway since it's like we're already married it's just not legal (I'm a penny pincher and those who know me well understand right away when I use the money line). I tell people when it happens it'll probably be at city hall and they would never even know about it anyway. Most can't argue with that because no one wants to open their wallets for our wedding. The only person this doesn't work with is my mom!! :???:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

hahaha!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock

Love IT! ::) :appl:

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock

:lol: This one made me laugh for like five minutes good one, I'm totally going to have to use it at one point!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Glad to be of service ladies :devil:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results