shape
carat
color
clarity

My idea ( please advise) :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

YNG

Rough_Rock

Hi Everyone,

I want to say the "4 big words" to my GF as I don''t want her to wait for any longer. We''ve been together 4yrs and been living together more than a year. And of course, like everyone else, I want this experience to be a unique one!

So I am thinking to get someone to help me to make a short film (3-5 mins) for her, with all the memories of us like photos, letters, cards that we made for each others, and would be better if I can also add an animated Flash clip about the story of us into it.

Then I will take her to one of our favorite restaurant on a Sat afternoon, and then go to a Modern Art Museum (free entry) not far away from the restaurant; where I will arrange a LCD TV or something as a display, next to the screen there will be the e-ring. At the end of the movie the “Will you marry me?” will pop up and I will do the expected thing.

But the problem is I am afraid the Museum might not allow me to do so, as I have to submit a proposal of my “Art”, and I’m sure it isn’t up to their standard. I don’t want to wait for another year just to wait for this, yet this idea seems really special. I’ve thinking about putting the display in a shopping mall; however she’s a bit shy and probably won’t feel comfortable about it.

Plan B: if the original one doesn’t work, I will go for the classic romantic dinning proposal, but also keep thinking that I am giving her something so common that anyone can do.

Question:

1. Anyone know how much will it costs to make a film like that? (I contacted few design studios in Sydney, they don’t want to spend time on such little "project")

2. What if I take her to day-spa at a 5-star hotel on coming Valentine’s Day, then a fancy restaurant for dinner, and ask the waiter to bring out a hand-made (by myself)Valentine’s Day card with no e-ring attached; as I will ask them to put the ring in the dessert – a Chocolate Chalet. Would this idea be as good as the Museum one?

Thanks very much for your opinion in advance!
1.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope!

Your idea sounds lovely, but quite complicated in order to pull it off. The museum may keep you hanging before they decide if the idea is acceptable. You have to be really careful with the ring in an open area, and if she doesn't like big crowds-well, you never know what the day will be like at the museum.

I really like the idea of the spa and dining proposal. Pamper her all day, have a great meal and then propose to show her what life is going to be like with you. Plus, it's much easier to get a waiter to go along with your plan than to depend on an entire entity (museum) to help you pull it off smoothly.

Good Luck!

Also, one PSer took an outfit he picked out to the spa so she could change before they headed off to their evening activities. I think he picked one of her favorites and a new dress and let her choose. And I think he had the spa do her hair, makeup and nails (for the photos they would be taking)

Calla18

Rough_Rock
Hello YNG,
Regarding question 1, if design studios aren''t interested in helping you, then you may want to consider a local community college or university. Students are always looking for projects to put in their portfolio, would probably charge less, and would be more willing to help!

Good Luck!
C

chocolatefudge

Shiny_Rock
Your ideas are lovely but can I suggest something........

The video sounds so lovely and romantic and I would love that, but as you pointed out that your girlfriend is quite shy so couldn''t you show it at home? I would actually find it far romantic to have just the two of you there, if I was being shown a video like that in front of lots of people I would feel very self conscious (and as you said your gf is shy I''m guessing she would too......)

Maybe you could go for a lovely meal and then go home and show the video?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Wait...are your own computer skills saavy? This may be a project that you don''t necessarily need to have professionally done - at least on a mac, you can create slideshows with music and I''m pretty sure you can burn it to a dvd (we did a variation of this for our wedding). If you have a mac geek friend, I''m sure they could do this in about an hour. Then, for around $65 you could get a small portable dvd player, take it with you and present it for her at wherever location you want. Could open possibilities a bit more?

Ooooh, I could see a cute scenario where she''s supposed to meet you at said museum, and someone comes by to say that you''re late and hands her the DVD player...she presses play, and then you''re there on bended knee...dinner after? :)

Honestly, I like your museum idea better. It''s really original and personal, whereas the v-day proposal at a restaurant with food has been done before. What would she prefer?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2008 3:30:56 PM
Author: chocolatefudge
Your ideas are lovely but can I suggest something........

The video sounds so lovely and romantic and I would love that, but as you pointed out that your girlfriend is quite shy so couldn''t you show it at home? I would actually find it far romantic to have just the two of you there, if I was being shown a video like that in front of lots of people I would feel very self conscious (and as you said your gf is shy I''m guessing she would too......)

Maybe you could go for a lovely meal and then go home and show the video?
Ditto!! I love the idea of the film, but wouldn''t want to be around people and I think showing it at home would make it even more amazing!
36.gif

SPOT

Rough_Rock
Dude, as long as you''re not in a rubbish tip, the peripheral crap doesn''t even enter into it. Just take her somewhere nice and ask. Throw too many special effects in and two things will happen:

1. Something will go wrong.

2. She will expect it every time, Valentines Day, Birthdays etc.

Use the KISS method, Keep it simple stupid.

You''re getting engaged, not flying a rocket to the moon.

md74

Rough_Rock
I think the MOMA idea is a little complicated.

If you want to do the video, I would show it to her in some other scenario.

I personally think the dining proposal is overdone, and I wouldn''t have wanted that, but some people would love that. I would go with some idea you think your girlfriend would like.

My husband thought about asking me on Brooklyn Bridge, but said once he got the ring it was burning a hole in his pocket and he just couldn''t wait. He met me after work (about 10:30 pm). It was raining very hard, and he got me to walk over to the steps of a Museum nearby to a bench we used to go and sit on together. He knelt under an umbrella in the rain, said the perfect things you would want to hear from someone asking you to marry them, and proposed. I said yes before he opened the ring box.
21.gif
, and then smiled really big
9.gif
when he opened the box and put the ring on my finger. We then called our parents on our cell phones and went to a nearby restaurant for champagne and dessert. I loved it; it was private; and we have an umbrella we can never throw away!

For me, that was a great proposal. For someone else it might not be. I would go for something that you think she would like. For me, the personal significance of this place was meaningful, but then I liked the simplicity of being in the rain under an umbrella wearing a raincoat. It was unique. And it was a landmark, so it will always be there (most of the significant places we went early on have been changed into a Baby Gap or something).

You could always surprise her with the video in some romantic way at home, propose, and then let her get dressed up and go to dinner. Or pick some place of significance to both of you, but where you can propose more privately if she is not going to want the attention.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
You know, an elaborate proposal isn''t my preference (DH proposed to me over a picnic in a place that is meaningful to us/my family), but I don''t think the OP should be criticized for wanting to surprise his partner like that. In ANY proposal, things can go wrong. In fact, at our picnic, DH didn''t expect a crowd of 200 people to suddenly walk by.

And - "she''ll expect it all the time?" First of all, I doubt it. Second, is there something wrong with planning special events for the person you share you life with?

YNG, I agree with the ideas to involve less people and work on a slightly smaller scale (easier to plan and easier control), but your quest to propose to your FI-to-be in a unique and special way is great!

chocolatefudge

Shiny_Rock
2. She will expect it every time, Valentines Day, Birthdays etc.

I don''t agree with this!! This is his proposal, of course he should put some thought and care into it!! His gf won''t be expecting to be proposed to every birthday will she?! Are you saying that he shouldn''t bother doing something special because then his gf will never expect anything special from him in the future?
Just a thought :)

irenasoul

Rough_Rock
wow...what a cute idea! I personally really love the idea with the valentine''s day card and the waiter. I like things that are a little more intimate...but using the video later at home might be a nice touch. :)

go for it!

YNG

Rough_Rock

Hi Folks

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!!

I''ve decided to take the action 2 weeks later, and that would be on the day before Good Friday.

1st of all, I''ve made a photo album with all the pic that we took in the past and arrange them in a way that looks like a story book (took me weeks to complete that

emdgust.gif
). And on the 20th March, I will leave home and go to work in the morning (we’re living together) and she will be sleeping until 9-10am as usual. But I will prepare a simple Easter eggs hunting game for her while she’s on the bed. (I’m sure she will be able to find all 20 eggs without much difficulty).

Then I will ask my colleague to send an email with all the instructions from my PC to her (so she will believe I’m not at home). After she collected all the eggs, she will find a message hidden in the last egg located in the backyard that telling her where to get her “Bonus Prize”.

While she’s looking for the last egg outside the house, I will try to sneak into the bedroom and put the photo album on the desk where there will be a video camera recording the whole time when she open it. Then I will just pop up after she finished reading and say the same thing that I said when I asked her to be my girlfriend. I will try to arrange some music if it’s possible, but that’s not too much to concern.

Please wish me luck and hopefully everything goes as what I planned.

Once again appreciated all your help!!!
emwink.gif

YNG

Rough_Rock
ooh, I''ve also booked a day sap for two and dinner later just to pamper her all day. And we''ll be driving to Gold Coast on Friday during Easter break.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of the most sweetest plan I''ve ever heard! Good luck, I hope it goes smoothly [:D] And please report!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results