shape
carat
color
clarity

My Great Australian Adventure..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Great post and photos trekkie!

This thread is really making me guilty of all the fun things in my own state I don't do..hawaiian is right, its easy to take things for granted when you were bought up here I guess. :sick:
I recently spent some time in the very rural Northern Territory, and that was such a unique and beautiful experience, it has made me want to travel Australia further.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
there's also a forest in the south of West AU where you can actually climb the trees. i didn't get very far up due to a fear of heights.

the previously mentioned tree walk: my hubby loved it. i couldn't get across more than one bridge before going back and doing the ground tour. sigh.

also, just pull over in one of the forests, turn the motor off, lean back and listen. one of my best memories was doing this off road. nothing but the sound of the birds. lovely.

no one has mentioned it but there are excellent caravaan parks......similar to our KOA's but even nicer. puts one right into nature in many cases....even just over the dune from a beach. we stayed at a lovely one down near Albany and another near Denmark that was close to the river.

my FIL has traveled all over AU in a bus he converted and stayed mostly at these caravaan parks. the people are friendly and will give you even more tips on what to see in a particular area. AU is one of those places that is definitely worth getting out of the city and rubbing elbows with the locals.

MoZo

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well, the more this thread goes the more giddy I get. I might actually explode by the time I leave. Pretty sure I am going to have to get some kind of sedative for the flight, LOL, could you imagine sitting next to a super excited version of me? For 19+ hours? I would want to jump out of the plane. Ross might want to smother me with a pillow. LOL.

I love the idea of the music scene. I am A HUGE music person. When my AU friends were here over the summer, they wanted to check out 'Texas' apparel and everything 'Cowboy'. So I took them to Cavenders (http://www.cavenders.com ) this big old Texas boot and cowboy store. They all bought hats, LMAO, and Matt ( more on him later.... :love:-part of the trip..well, a big part) ended up wanting me to pick him out some great Texas Music shirts...so, now I am responsible for bringing a bunch of Texas music to expose him to the shirts that he has been sporting.

So, here goes.

Softly- Wow, that place looks great, I am DEFINITELY going to have to check that out- I love the interior, it just looks like a good place to enjoy a drink and company. :) Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I thought that my buddy worked for Rio but only one does, he is up in the Northern part...Ross actually works for Minara- but he does travel a bit like your hubby, from the sounds of it. Always flying about. Anyway, excited about checking that out. :)

HOT- (LOL, love that is your abbreviated name.) What is this JJJ?! Do you need more members for your fan club? LOL, I might be able to be persuaded to join. I am bummed I will miss out on the other 2 concerts but is there anything around when I am in town?

Trekkie- OMG, LOVE those pics. The kangaroo reminds me of my Henry, huge lap dog. LOL, he throws his head back and loves to have his neck scratched. I am really looking forward to seeing a few of the places you recommended. I really want to check out the Treetop walk, what is that all about? How much does it run to walk or is it just a part of a park? My inner nerd is getting a spreadsheet together to figure out what I need to bring for spending $$$. :lol:

Arjunajane- You can always come a long, the more the merrier, right? I feel that way often, people are always saying all the cool stuff to do in Texas and all over...I have been all over the States but keep forgetting all the great and fun things that there are to do in various spots. Especially in Texas, we have a ton of cool things that are around and I just seem to stay in my tri-city bubble and have yet to really explore and enjoy.

MoZo- Thanks for the heads up, I am going to have to check out the parks, I am such an outdoorsy person anyway- that sounds like something I would enjoy. I definitely want to camp out for at least a night or two while I am there. Do they allow camping on the beaches? I need to check into that.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Strawdermangrl said:
I love the idea of the music scene. I am A HUGE music person.

If you like music and music events keep an eye out on http://www.enjoyperth.com.au/

The girl who runs this site is a friend of mine and a huge music fan. She has all the events for the current month and the following month listed, so check it out in Dec before you leave and see if there are any events you fancy.

You've had lots of great ideas from other Perthites, but a few I would recommend that havent been mentioned by anyone are:

Caversham Wildlife Park http://www.cavershamwildlife.com.au/ Great for getting up close and personal with native wildlife.

The Pinnacles http://www.turquoisecoast.org/pinnacles.php It's about 250 kilometres north of Perth and the most amazing landscape.

You could do a wine cruise up the river http://www.captaincookcruises.com.au/ or for something a little bit different tour the wineries in the Swan Valley in a horsedrawn wagon http://www.swanvalleywa.com/index2.html

Dont forget to unwind and destress with a bit of pampering such as http://www.blushbody.com.au/ or http://www.keturah.com.au/-15-Keturah-Packages-Pure-.html

Hope you have a great time here in WA.

Mac

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Strawdermangrl said:
Trekkie- OMG, LOVE those pics. The kangaroo reminds me of my Henry, huge lap dog. LOL, he throws his head back and loves to have his neck scratched. I am really looking forward to seeing a few of the places you recommended. I really want to check out the Treetop walk, what is that all about? How much does it run to walk or is it just a part of a park? My inner nerd is getting a spreadsheet together to figure out what I need to bring for spending $$$. :lol:

Hehe! You'll love it! Australia was expensive for us because our currency is practically worthless, but if you're bringing American Dollars, you should be fine. The Treetop Walk was lovely! It's situated in a forest and you walk along a series of bridges, right up there with the tree tops, nearly 1km off the ground! It is something everyone should do at least once. They also have Tingle Trees you can walk through and a really cute gift shop. I think the entry fee for that was AU$10.

The trees with spikes to facilitate climbing are situated in the national parks. Their national parks are awesome - you pay AU$10 (I think) per car once and you can go into multiple parks multiple times a day. And the ones we visited mostly work on an honour system - they don't have someone there demanding money, they expect you to have enough integrity to know you need to put your money in the box and take a card. Also, some of them have a radio frequency you can tune into that tells you more about the park and what you can see.

The most expensive thing we did was the zoo and that was AU$21 per person. When you think about it, AU$21 to stroke a kangaroo is nothing! The kangaroos walk around the zoo freely, looking so unbelievably cute and cuddly and they come up to you wanting to be stroked. They're affectionate but not demanding - if you walk away, they go up to someone else. And when they have had enough cuddles, they move into their "Kangaroo rest area" and you can't follow them there.

Eating out at nice restaurants was quite expensive, so we mostly ate McDonald's and KFC. I was in heaven at KFC - they put bacon on their burgers! How awesome is that?! My staple was the BBQ bacon and cheese zinger. I still dream about that. Meals rarely cost more than AU$10 per person but that's because my FI had lived in WA before so he knew where to find all sorts of yummy places at tourist-friendly prices.

And OMG! Shopping is to die for. Harbour Town was amazing! I bought a beautiful dressy waistcoat there for AU$20 and I love it. Also bought a denim jacket for AU$10... It's become a wardrobe staple (you can see it in the pic where I'm stroking the roo).

You will have an amazing time... I am so envious I could die!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
note: MacDonalds in AU is really different in that they use REAL meat. i still don't eat at one because there are so many other places to eat but if you do decide to eat at one, you won't be happy with the US Big Mac.

also, you will find that your legs and arms are going to need more moisturizing. this is my fav and made locally in Freo:

body dew - macadamia, calendula and birch
92.5% organic - dry / sensitive / problem skin - 200 ml
A luxurious moisturising lotion with hydrating organic macadamia oil, soothing birch extract and calendula to calm irritation and itchiness. Evening primrose, carrot and rose hydrosol help improve hydration and soothes inflammation. Rose geranium and tangerine tone and activate circulation. Palmarosa helps to restore water balance and regeneration of cells. It is light in texture yet a complete treatment for problem skin.
Apply directly after shower or bath.

definitely NOT inexpensive and available from these vendors:

http://www.xquisit.com.au/

even though i live in california and get plenty of outdoor exposure and sun as well, i find that my legs and arms just need something a bit more rich when i'm in Perth. and i love this product so much i bought lots to bring home last january. now that we're going back, i've been in touch with the owner who is having some larger bottles made up for me to bring home in november.

MoZo

ps my allergies kill me when i'm in Perth. the local pharmacies are very helpful and some have huge herbal and homeopathic sections as well. also, mosquitos can...but not always.... be a problem. some swear that loading up on vitamin B-1 helps.....it was not effective for me. sigh. however, last january i did not experience a problem with the mosquies....just the allergies.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MoZo- Thank you SO much for this info. I have been using coco butter everyday to get my skin in a better state before heading over, I am going to get some of that lotion you linked. I also want to check out some of the facial product they have, it looks great. I don't have 'sensitive' skin per se but I do get irritated skin in drier climates. So again, thanks for the heads up. I am going to take my regular allergy meds with me, believe it or not, Houston is the WORST for allergies. I have lived on both coasts, north and south and dry and humid and have NEVER been as miserable as I am in Houston with allergies. LOL, so I will definitely be carrying my meds. Also, another thing Houston is good for, well probably the majority of the south coast of the Gulf of Mexico- Mosquitos that are the size of small dogs. Good Lord. And they love them some Renee. Sure do. LOL.

I am really getting excited. Ross, my friend from Perth, is actually going to be in Houston for 1 day at the end of the month for work so we are going to finalize our 'path o' destruction' through Australia. :) I am really excited about touring around WA, it seems like there is going to be SO much to do.

Another question for you ladies, as if you haven't already helped me a TON, what do you think I should budget per day? $100? More? Any ideas? I am just curious so I take the right amount. Also, will I be able to just use my Debit card over there or do you recommend getting travelers checks?

Thanks y'all, I really REALLY appreciate you helping out so much! :)

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Hi renee!! Just quickly as I am on my way to work :)

Don't buy travelers cheques!! They are not worth the time and hassle and cost.
When we travel we use a travelex cash passport card. They are great because you can load money onto them from your regular bank account via the Internet and then you draw the money out at the ATM with a pin. You can get ones tht can be used at eftpos maxhines as well. I'm sure you will have something similar in the US?

Also are you bringing a credit card? I know that visa and MasterCard are widely accepted but diners and American express can't be used in some places (smaller places) I think it has something to do with the extra fees shops are charged so they just don't take them. My mum has both as she gets extra bonus frequent flyer points and she gets annoyed when people wont let her use them!

Can't wait to hear your plan off attack on WA!! :wavey:

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HOT- I need to run to my bank and ask them about the card, I am hoping-being that it is a Visa- I will be able to use it over there, no problems. We shall see...

My plan of attack, I like that. I will keep you posted and let you know what we choose. I know for sure we are spending a few days on the boat around Rottnest and diving and then for sure heading to the wineries. :naughty:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so jealous! I would love to visit Australia! I went and priced up flights. Over £3000 for two people. Eeeek! Better get saving!

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Maisie|1289399934|2759982 said:
I am so jealous! I would love to visit Australia! I went and priced up flights. Over £3000 for two people. Eeeek! Better get saving!

LOL, I know what you mean! My flight has 6 legs, round trip. Houston to LA, LA to Sydney, Sydney to Perth, Perth to Sydney, Sydney to LA, and finally, LA to Houston. My total trip was $2600.00- which I think is pretty darn good considering that I land on New Years Eve! I was watching rates for about 3 months and finally found that ticket in September. I am SO excited about this trip, I decided yesterday that I am going to do the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb, what a way to get over my fear of heights, huh? LOL.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish I was coming with you! I wouldn't mind how many legs I had in my journey! I reckon you will definitely cure your fear of heights if you can do the climb. I would be the one taking photos from the ground though! Heights absolutely terrify me!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
update for your adventure:

restaurant: Pata Negra
http://patanegra.com.au/
my sis-in-law says she now has a new fav place.

Shipwrecks museum in Fremantle. FREE. good compliment to the Maritime museum also in fremantle.

a must see: Indigenous Scuplture exhibit goes until January 23:
http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/
fabulous is the only word for it. the fem fatale exhibit had not yet started when we left.....and it appears the peggy gugenheim in venice exhibit has traveled on to its next destination.

check out the pearls at Kalis. within walking distance of Shiprwrecks and/or the Maritime museum.

book store: New Edition on High Street, Fremantle. good selection of AU authors and history. helpful staff.

if you're into rum, there is now a distillery in the Swan Valley: Cane Fire. not quite my taste. bring back Bundaberg rum! can't get it here in the US and we didn't get to buy from the duty free shop in sydney on our flight home due to almost missing the connection. one of my bro-in-laws introduced me to a few different bottles of the stuff and now i can't get it out of my mind.

you may already be on your great AU adventure. have a great time!

MoZo

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just want to say that you are so good to plan ahead!!! We're doing last minute planning - so stupid!!!!

Have a great time, we leave the same day :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results